My Simonis cloth plays extremely slow? Help or Advice Appreciated

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on your latest photos, particularly the one looking down on the corner pocket with the 10-ball in the pocket, it looks to me like it was installed with the correct side up. To confirm, did you
not see any Iwan Simonis stamps on the underside of any of the rails cloths? Just my first observation - the clean and neat tuck and staple job shown around this corner pocket sure looks like
an experienced professional table mechanic / installer job to me.

Also, when you stated in your original post that your table plays slower than your Dad's table with newly covered worsted cloth of a different manufacturer, keep in mind there are plenty of faster
playing worsted cloths out there than Simonis 860, such as Gorina/Granito 2000 and Andy Pro cloth, just to name a few.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here are some updated photos that may be better, one has the flash on so it looks bluer. If its installed correct, i just don't want to invest money in a new cloth if I'm going to get the same results. I've also noticed that this cloth feels (when you physically run your hand on it) starched or stiff (kind of like when you buy a new dress shirt) whereas other tables feel more delicate silky and smooth, I've just assumed that it felt like that because it was new and lightly played on?

Second photo down, looks like you can see the nap on the inside of the pocket shelf....was the whole table like this when it was freshly installed?
Simonis should feel slick and smooth when brand new....zero nap.

Also of brandsh98 and realkingcobra are telling you the same thing, odds are pretty good it is true.

You might want to contact the installer just to let him know in case he's done any other tables in the past year. He might have a few calls to make.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on your latest photos, particularly the one looking down on the corner pocket with the 10-ball in the pocket, it looks to me like it was installed with the correct side up.

The cloth under the rail and half a ball width from the rail into the playing surface should look like the original installation.

That picture with the 10-ball has me a bit puzzled as to what we are looking at. Some cloth looks worn and some of it looks new. But the newer looking cloth looks to be bigger than the 10-ball and seems to run halfway into the arc of the pocket. .

jtothea

Registered
The pic where the cloth looks blue my flash was on. The top pic was very closeup under my light in the center of table. I’ll try to snap a couple more this afternoon.

JC

Coos Cues
Two experts have told you to shine a black light on it and see if you can read the serial number on the cloth. This is what you need to do if you want to stop the merry go round of speculation of whether it's installed right side up.

If you want to know if it's just installed too loosely push down on it with your fingers out in the "kitchen" and pull it toward you and try to pull a wrinkle into it out there on the bed. If you are able to do this then it's too loose and you can probably just take the rails off and restretch it.

If all else fails you can take off the hideous colored cloth and replace it with something else.

JC

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic.... but your picture of the side pocket with the 10 ball sure looks exactly like the one RKC posted in post #23. Both are of the same table area, and look about the same camera distance apart. The weave looks the same.

On your other pictures, I believe the only reason they look different is because they are much more close-up. I think without having a ruler in view on the picture for scale, everyone is comparing apples to oranges when looking at pictures taken with differnt cameras, different angles, and differnt distances.

You also mentioned in your first post that one of your comparison tables at the local pool hall was a Diamond 7' barbox. The rubber cushions on those tables are significantly faster than the speed of a Brunswick home model table. Be sure you are comparing bed speed only to bed speed.

IMO:D:D:D:D

jtothea

Registered
Will do black light test. Thank you for everyone’s input. No further comments necessary as I appreciate everyone’s opinions and knowledge. I’ll take it from here. Thanks all

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pic where the cloth looks blue my flash was on. The top pic was very closeup under my light in the center of table. I’ll try to snap a couple more this afternoon.
Have you contacted the installer to express your concerns? Most installers keep scraps of Simonis on-hand, and he should be willing to drop by to be able to easily confirm/prove to you whether the cloth was installed correctly.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Will do black light test. Thank you for everyone’s input. No further comments necessary as I appreciate everyone’s opinions and knowledge. I’ll take it from here. Thanks all

In any case, once you find out for sure whether it was installed upside down or not (I'm guessing it was installed properly but you just can't say with certainty with those pictures) please update the thread to let us know because a lot of people are curious. Thanks!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
That's installed correctly...well, right side up anyhow. I'd think humidity is the likely culprit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk