Earl's 5 US Opens vs Shane's 5 US Opens: Who's was more difficult?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
From 1997
( including 11 former u.s.open winners)

1997 11.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ya and Chang lost because the wait clearly affected him not making excuses just calling it what it is

What did Shane do to Alex the next time they played a race to 100? After Shane beat Alex then, the beating still took place AFTERWARDS at the Cue Club in Vegas....set after set....so, I'll stick with the female distraction as I mentioned. Shane didn't start losing that 28 game lead....until the female with Shane got bored and left the area of play. I could see Shane constantly looking around to see where she was, even to the point that at times he had to be reminded that it was his turn at the table.....but you're right....no female can do that to a champion pool player.....LMAO.....that's why I NEVER took my wife with me when I was out gambling playing pool:rolleyes:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, but Earl did with a standard shaft, SVB has done it with a LD shaft.

All I'm saying is can SVB win with a standard shaft

All I'm saying is the equipment was diffrent during the time frame they won.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Earl is the only player I remember being as dominant as Shane is today. I would make them equal in that respect. Earl had to win his Opens with Buddy, Sigel, Efren, Varner, Parica, Davenport, Rempe and a few more killers in the field. No easy task for either man.

Earl could string more racks even than Shane! Sixes and sevens were not unusual for him. Just like Shane he would practice his break before each match. The Earl you see today is a shadow of the old Earl from the 80's and 90's. That guy is long gone.

When you're right Jay, you're right :)

Plus, I would add that Earl won the US Open in 3 different decades. SVB might do it one day as well, and have like a dozen titles total. What we can't dispute is they are both great players, and SVB will joining Earl in the HOF one day !!!

And in most sports, they newest generation is a tad better.... Back when Babe Ruth played, most guys were not throwing the array of pitches they do today, and certainly not at 100mph. 80mph is the best guestimate of the era, but it does not distract from those that played in it. I've yet to hear one baseball fan complain that Ruth didn't have to his against the same type of pitchers... so what, he hit against the best in the day, if there were better, he probably would have hit them too ;)

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From 1997
( including 11 former u.s.open winners)

View attachment 438205

Off topic...
Was anyone else shocked to see Niels Feijen in the money in 1997 US Open?
He must have been all of 19 or 20 years old.
I remember him on very old Bert Kinister drill tapes, but always thought they were early 2000s.

On Topic:
Thanks for the clippings Mr bond...very cool to see the fields listed like that to give is a perspective on the question at hand.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an 8 ball bar table match with corey that is fun to watch from that era I believe. Crappy table, what appears to be a heavy cue ball.

Nevermind '02

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
When taking into account the difficulty of the field/competition....quality of equipment....age....New age 9-ball rules/rack....

Was Earl's 5 US Open titles ('84, '87, '93, '97, '00) more difficult to achieve than Shane's now 5 US Open titles ('07, '12, '13, '14, '16)?

Comparisons and analytics are all we have in pool to keep the fire burning, a good discussion on these is always interesting to me.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tough call. Earl's run was over a 16 year period which is pretty impressive. Shane's run includes a threepeat which is amazing. Both are impressive in their own ways. I'll be honest, I just can't pick

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Tough call. Earl's run was over a 16 year period which is pretty impressive. Shane's run includes a threepeat which is amazing. Both are impressive in their own ways. I'll be honest, I just can't pick

Not the correct way to judge Earl's wins. Seeing how Earl is still playing at a high level of competition....having just took second place in the world 14.1 championships....going back to 1984 to the present day, Earl has won the US Open 5 times in the span of 32 years....32 YEARS!!!!....Shane has won it 5 times......in 10 YEARS!!!......think about it.....wasn't Earl just playing in the same US Open Shane just won? Don't you think Earl ENTERED the US Open hoping he'd be adding ANOTHER win to his already....5 wins!....Earl's STILL playing today.....so how can you make the comparison you just did.....in 16 years.....if he was to win NEXT year....wouldn't that be 6 times.....in 33 years?

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Not the correct way to judge Earl's wins. Seeing how Earl is still playing at a high level of competition....having just took second place in the world 14.1 championships....going back to 1984 to the present day, Earl has won the US Open 5 times in the span of 32 years....32 YEARS!!!!....Shane has won it 5 times......in 10 YEARS!!!......think about it.....wasn't Earl just playing in the same US Open Shane just won? Don't you think Earl ENTERED the US Open hoping he'd be adding ANOTHER win to his already....5 wins!....Earl's STILL playing today.....so how can you make the comparison you just did.....in 16 years.....if he was to win NEXT year....wouldn't that be 6 times.....in 33 years?

I believe that Shane has played in 12 US Opens.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

If he wins next year it would be six in a span of 33 years. Right now it's five over a 16 year span. Any time you talk about championships you go from the first to the last over a span of time. When ppl talk about Willie Mosconi they say he won fifteen World Championships between 41 and 57 (16 years) and not that he won fifteen Worlds in 25 years (he is listed as retired in 66)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SVB's five are way stronger than Earl's five as they came in an era in which pool was internationally diversified. The depth of the talent pool in the last decade or so has been scary strong.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If he wins next year it would be six in a span of 33 years. Right now it's five over a 16 year span. Any time you talk about championships you go from the first to the last over a span of time. When ppl talk about Willie Mosconi they say he won fifteen World Championships between 41 and 57 (16 years) and not that he won fifteen Worlds in 25 years (he is listed as retired in 66)

That would be true except for the fact that the LAST time Earl won.....was not when he retired from playing pool.....he's pretty well played in ALL 33 of the last US Opens....so, his career is still adding wins....as well as Shane's is.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Like I already stated....Shane has won....4 out of the last 5 US Open's....who can even come close to making that claim....Earl?

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has a tougher field but plays on/with better equipment..(tables balls sticks.etc...)
Earl played a weaker field but played on/with worse equipment.....

The fact that Shane won 3 in a row is extremely impressive...

Guess the only way to know is for them to play race to 21 with the old equipment and then again with the new equipment..... and if they split......then FLIP A COIN!!! LOL

Both players are amazing and both deserve credit.

If they took the side pockets off the table and made it 16" long.......EARL ALL DAY!! LOL

Comparing Equipment between the 2 era's is meaningless.....as all players played on and with the same equipment. same to everyone in the 80's, same to everyone now.

The question was "who had the tougher field?"

The answer I believe is obvious. SVB. Someone else said it earlier...the USO is a world event now. In Earls time, it was an American event, drawing a spattering of intn'l up and comers.
Here's an easy way to look at it....you get $10'000 to buy calcutta in USO 1986, and 20K$ (inflation) in 2017....which would you take? 10K in 86 all day long. the field is just too deep now - hence, the likelihood of putting 5 USO's together is exponentially more difficult today than it was 20 years ago.

Sry Earl, the game has evolved. the players have evolved. And Yes, you were left behind.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can check this. I looked at the Accu-Stats results from the last three U.S. Opens before this year (so, 2013-2015), where the TPA's for each match were recorded.

The player with the higher TPA in the match won 59 times and the player with the lower TPA won 6 times. That's almost 91% accuracy in predicting the outcome of the match.

If the player with the higher Fargo Rating won 59 out of those 65 matches I would accept that as pretty good evidence that a player's Fargo Rating is as good an indicator of their level of play as their TPA.

New from FargoRate

https://www.facebook.com/notes/farg...-2016-us-open-9-ball-players/1251068431612162

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk