NEW pool room - Key West

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read your tag line at the bottom of the post. It’s like you knew this would draw out that snake from under his rock!

We keep reading about rooms closing around the country, so it’s great news to hear of one opening. I hope I can get there this summer and check out that 12’ table. I played on one a long time ago at Boca Billiards but can’t temember seeing one since. As expected a KW room is gonna be just a little different than everywhere else. But don’t worry, the snake spends most of his time in The Garden of Eden when in KW. We’ve all seen that guy at the end of the bar.

Not sure I'd want to see that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Key West

Not to be a jackass but Key West has so much more to do with your business than anything else that most normal advice to a new room owner is worthless. First, good food, the better food is the better off you will be year around. After that, you are going to make money during tourist season and hang on the rest of the year. If you get enough support from locals during the off season to break even you will be lucky. Probably lose money and have to make it back off of the tourists.

I would consider different pricing scales and such, maybe consider memberships and special rates for members. We have a saying in South Louisiana, "Let the good times roll!" You are going to have to do that, cater to tourists when they are there, others when they aren't. Memberships that aren't justified for a few days play will let you do that.

Never been to Key West so this is just from what I have seen in other spots in Florida. A chuckle on the gulf coast closer to home, a little cafe had a line stretching out the door for over a hundred feet. They had a juke box near the door that people were standing in line to feed too. No chance in hell they would ever hear the songs they played but bored people fed the jukebox every day. At night they reset the jukebox and it all started again the next day. Wish I would have just had a fifty-fifty split on that juke box, hard to even guess what it raked in. A damned good living all by itself!

Hu

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@RealkingCobra

So, after being on here a bit, I see the general consensus is you are one of the best, if not the best installer out there.

I wondered can you take a table like a GC I and make it play great, or maybe even a cheaper table, or are some designs just fundamentally flawed so much they can't ever reach a true connoisseur level of play? Or possibly the amount of money and time makes it not practical?

To the OP, I wish you nothing but the best and many years in business. If I am ever down that way I'd love to stop in and play a few games.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
@RealkingCobra

So, after being on here a bit, I see the general consensus is you are one of the best, if not the best installer out there.

I wondered can you take a table like a GC I and make it play great, or maybe even a cheaper table, or are some designs just fundamentally flawed so much they can't ever reach a true connoisseur level of play? Or possibly the amount of money and time makes it not practical?

To the OP, I wish you nothing but the best and many years in business. If I am ever down that way I'd love to stop in and play a few games.

Yes, for the most part I stick to Gold Crowns and Diamonds as they both have a decent design I can improve on.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
@RealkingCobra

This is a GC1 I rebuilt, and redesigned for a customer that needed to be able to move the table every night to park his car inside. The slates are steel plate joined together turning the 3 piece slate into a 1 piece. The frame is built on a hydraulic lift system, all it takes is one foot to lift the table, spin it 90 degrees, then roll it forward out of the way. Putting it back in place is just as easy, and to make sure its level, all the customer has to do is line up the mark on the levelers with the alignment marks on the floor, and the table is level. Been over two years and still playing level. 12378094_980307525357906_5472994627245918157_o_1024x1024.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Who knows, I might just be the smartest guy in the room! Any one of you know of one single table on the market today that can match what my customer can do with this one???? All I hear is birds chirping....figure, I guess I need to find another room to stand in!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
@RealkingCobra

But, just to be clear, installers don't do to pool tables what I do.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Give me your most successful plan for opening a billiards parlor/restaurant/bar.

Not kidding. Give it to me.

To answer your question, a Restaurant & Lounge that can still stay in business even if you shut down the pool room portion!!

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deets

Although I'm the OP, I'm not the owner or investor or silent partner in the new room. I'm just excited to be able to shoot in public again w/o relying on 6 or 7', beat to hell valley's in a smoky bar.

some things ill respond to here -
There is food - small plate/tapas mediteranean
the bar is full.
No smoking/vaping
the 12' imperial table is a pyramid table - so the pockets are reverse cut, the balls are 2.5", the pocket mouth is approx 2.55". I anticipate this will turn into the golf/snooker table for the locals once the owner realizes no-one is going to play pyramid.

The owner is a good guy, but alas - he doesn't have any billiards experience, and the pool playing population in KW is dismal. so he's going to have to get creative IMHO to stay alive more than a year. We have no leagues, no tourneys, not a single public 9' table to be found with 40 miles.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are funny...LOL when you've been in this business as long as I have, on my side of the fence, NOT the peanut gallery side like you people are on, you start to see patterns that seem to repeat themselves on a regular basis, and ONE of those patterns is opening a place to play pool with the same business plan that has already proven to fail. I say it all the time, LAST YEARS BUSINESS PLAN DONT WORK FOR TOMORROWS PLAYERS! It's kind of like Harley Davidson crying about losing business, when they should have realized the old facts that use to support buying new baggers are dying off, or retired....so pay attention to what the customers are buying today, and build something that attracts THOSE buyers if you want to continue to sell Harley Davidson. Motorcycles tomorrow. Harley got the message, 20 years late, but they got it, their bikes are now changing for tomorrows buyers.

I'm not hating on someone opening a new pool room with yesterdays business plan, I'm just shaking my head as to why, but I guess it's so all of you can cry about how pool in this country is dying because ANOTHER pool room when out of business....that not ONE of you is going to support in the first place!!!

How does this room racking up another 50k in pool table debt make them profitable?

Lots of players, particularly old timers, love to play on Gold Crowns. I have 5 in my room and 5 Diamonds. It works just fine because everybody gets what they like.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How does this room racking up another 50k in pool table debt make them profitable?

Lots of players, particularly old timers, love to play on Gold Crowns. I have 5 in my room and 5 Diamonds. It works just fine because everybody gets what they like.

Where do you come up with 50K for 5 tables?....sniffing a little of my glue maybe?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

And I see you didn't mention you had a 6'×12' Russian Pyramid or 2 Imperial 9fts either, why not?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I guess you don't know the difference between an apple and an orange do you! How would your pool room do without the 5 Diamonds? If you answer just fine, then why did you buy them?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you come up with 50K for 5 tables?....sniffing a little of my glue maybe?

36k then

Rule number one is don't overspend. If I couldn't open a room at a reasonable expense I would never have tried.

Some might drop a quarter million on a fancy room only to have a guy with 1962 Gold Crowns cut their balls off...just not my idea of a good time, In most areas pool is shrinking rapidly. Going big often means going broke.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Believe it or not, I've more than likely witnessed more new pool rooms opening in this country than ANY member here on AZB. Guess what, I'm batting a 1,000 on my predictions as to who will make it and who's going to fail within the first 1-2 years!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
36k then

Rule number one is don't overspend. If I couldn't open a room at a reasonable expense I would never have tried.

Some might drop a quarter million on a fancy room only to have a guy with 1962 Gold Crowns cut their balls off...just not my idea of a good time, In most areas pool is shrinking rapidly. Going big often means going broke.

Then please, explain why Fargo billiards with I believe 53 tables in a population area of 100,000 can stay in business, when a pool room with half that amount of tables in an area of 12 million goes broke!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
36k then

And just so you're aware, what YOU would do, does NOT speak for what OTHERS have done....does it?