How to play this shot:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was working on this shot last night and had a lot of difficulty with it. I'd like to hear how others would play this.

I realize this is probably a basic shot, should give you an idea of my (lack of) skill level.

I tried low, and low left. Most of the time I ended up even with the 9 or on the short side with a bad angle. Closest I got to leaving myself a chance to get out was hitting it much softer, ending up near the side pocket for a fairly long cut into the corner.

(this is playing 9ball)

What say?

Shot.jpg

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Low left hitting hard so you go 2 or maybe even 3 rails with the cue ball. I personally am looking to bring the cue ball back on the second diamond on the long rail bouncing out for the 9 ball

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
left english softens the cue ball off the second long rail. So this shot is more difficult on tables without the boingy Diamond like rails. On my Olehausen, this would be about one tip low and one and half tips left with soft pocket speed. It would still leave a longer cut But hit it soft enough to approach the nine along the position zone and don't try to cross it.

And there is always high right for 4 or 5 rails.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shot is hit with mostly draw. Only a smidge, if any, of left is required.

The CB needs to be punched to come back to the bottom long rail, and then it needs bounce back across the table for a shot on the nine. It's a little tricky because the firmness of stroke needed tends to "close up" the pocket a little. You have to hit it good.

Trying to finesse this shot with slow speed and english will result in poor position or worse - you can easily hang up the 8.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Half tip of left with a little draw should allow you to cross the table from long rail to long rail then into the short rail beyond the nine.

So less draw? I hadn't considered that. I like it. Will try it tonight, thanks.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low left hitting hard so you go 2 or maybe even 3 rails with the cue ball. I personally am looking to bring the cue ball back on the second diamond on the long rail bouncing out for the 9 ball

This may be my issue. My stroke is just not mature enough to hit it hard enough to achieve this, even though it seems like the correct play. I'll work on it tonight and check results.

I think the key may be less draw for me though.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
So I was working on this shot last night and had a lot of difficulty with it. I'd like to hear how others would play this.

I realize this is probably a basic shot, should give you an idea of my (lack of) skill level.

I tried low, and low left. Most of the time I ended up even with the 9 or on the short side with a bad angle. Closest I got to leaving myself a chance to get out was hitting it much softer, ending up near the side pocket for a fairly long cut into the corner.

(this is playing 9ball)

What say?

View attachment 431382

Keep the same shot line between cue/obj. ball. Shorten your distance till you find the shot with this particular table, that gives you the results you had hoped for. Next, move the cue ball towards the original starting position in increments, till you no longer are able to get the results you want. Knowing this will set your limits on what you can and can't do. This shot, is an amazingly difficult shot to come two rails cross table (tho it appears to be the proper shot looking at your table pic, but that depends on your skill level and the equipment). Some shots, being at the level your at are not possible yet which is normal, we all have our limits. Learning this, is an important aspect of play, why? Because every shot you have has a make and miss % coinciding with all the factors within the shot/position. Once you learn this, your chances will improve on which course to take the next time the distance or the shot type makes you uncomfortable.

Last edited:

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot advice

Any left may cause the first shot to be missed and is not necessary. Looks like a natural with a tip or so low and medium speed. The problem with most is that they attempt straight in position and either miss the shot or the shape. A little angle is fine for the last ball. There is a huge area to leave the ball for a good shot.

The pros may differ, but they do not need my advice. Most amateurs are better off using center ball on most shots.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip snip snip... Once you learn this, your chances will improve on which course to take the next time the distance or the shot type makes you uncomfortable.

Ah, the philosophical approach. I was considering that a safety here might be my best play. Not that the shot isn't doable just that it may be a lower percentage to get on the 9 FOR ME.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keep the same shot line between cue/obj. ball. Shorten your distance till you find the shot with this particular table, that gives you the results you had hoped for. Next, move the cue ball towards the original starting position in increments, till you no longer are able to get the results you want. Knowing this will set your limits on what you can and can't do. This shot, is an amazingly difficult shot to come two rails cross table (tho it appears to be the proper shot looking at your table pic, but that depends on your skill level and the equipment). Some shots, being at the level your at are not possible yet which is normal, we all have our limits. Learning this, is an important aspect of play, why? Because every shot you have has a make and miss % coinciding with all the factors within the shot/position. Once you learn this, your chances will improve on which course to take the next time the distance or the shot type makes you uncomfortable.

GREAT POST.....listen to this ^^^^^^^^^

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two rails combining low with left
Or
Three rails combining high with right.
Check out Bob Hennings The Pro Book, all these shots are in there along with plenty other goodies!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be my issue. My stroke is just not mature enough to hit it hard enough to achieve this, even though it seems like the correct play. I'll work on it tonight and check results.

I think the key may be less draw for me though.

English can somewhat make up for a weak stroke but frankly that isn't a particularly difficult shot. The hardest part is making the 8 and avoiding the scratch in the side.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Being that this shot will come up probably as much as any other position shot, I would try to learn it, at least, 2 different ways. The table will, most of the time have more balls on it, other than just 8/9...... What happens when there's more traffic?

The more options, the better. Use your imagination.

This can be played as a low left cut shot... try to get the CB to hit the 2nd rail below the side pocket(left of).

or, 2 o'clock follow going 4 rails.... more difficult, but it will get there, if needed.

or, drag it.....7/8 o'clock sliding into the 8 with a fuller hit, CB comes close to side pocket, left english opens the angle up, and you can stay above the 9..... this will give you the most options, but will take time to get good results.

This shot could even be played with straight follow, going into the corner with the CB, but again, it's not going to be a common solution.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tooler;5642062snip snip snip... The more options said:
The problem is, my imagination has an AAA game. I don't.

Other than that it's hard to argue with what you said.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(this is playing 9ball)

What say?

View attachment 431382

Low left will bring you too much up-table, which is where you ended up. Just a bit of draw will do ya. Look at your diagram and draw the angle to about the middle diamond on the rail between the 9 and the side pocket, that's about your target, hit that and bounce out a few feet. Really any place between the side pocket and the 9 will be OK , depends on the speed you hit. If you hit harder but go too high near the 9, your cueball can hit the 9 and bring it out for a shot (if you are a bit lucky that is), so really the only way to really mess up is hit it too soft and land on the 9 without moving it much.

From where you were ending up, it sounds like you were trying to draw/spin it without going to the second rail, just straight up-table is that right? That shot will get you going at the 9 more often than, you can even scratch in the corner by the 9 that way. Less spin and draw, hit almost anywhere in a 2 diamond range on long rail near the 9, bounce over to other side for the 9.

Excuse the crude lines LOL

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This shot differs between a 9' vs barbox. On a barbox, it likely requires 2 or more rails. On a 9', I still like the soft pocket speed between 7 and 8 O'clock.

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(this is playing 9ball)

What say?

View attachment 431382

If you are not comfortable trying to come 2 rails back down for the 9, you can easily play a simple stun shot and leave the CB in line with the side pocket, 1 diamond from top rail as looking at diagram.

OK so the cut on the 9 is tougher, but it's very makeable. Looking at it, I think that's the shot I'm playing as I know I'm liable to mess up the stroke trying to force the CB back up table.

Try both combinations 10 times and see how many times you get out with each.