Epoxy in Carbon Fiber Shaft

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yess sure, and it would be very strong, you can add cutted fiber filament like that we mix in concrete or other but it not a necessity. I think that it would be the easiest and the more uniform dispersion of weight.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can clean the small particle of carbon inside with water after dry it very well and shoot air pressure inside before the filling, I would proceed like that, Good Luck!

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is easy enough to get a carbon fiber shaft blank to finish at 3.5 oz or more with just foam, and the weight of the joint plug (phenolic or juma ) plus the weight of the ferrule plug and tip. Now, if you want to defeat the purpose of a lighter jump shaft extend the length of the joint plug adding more weight. If you don't understand any of this or lack the tools to make a shaft; give your blank to somebody qualified to do the work, they will epoxy the plugs, thread or add an insert. Personally, although I've done many carbon fiber shafts I prefer Purple Heart for jump shafts. :)

Mario

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
What do you mean with "removing the mould"?

When they make Carbon Fiber shaft blanks they use a Mold release agent so the mold form they build the blank on will "release' from the CF blank. If you don't clean that off from inside of the tube....no much will stick to it....sorta like using butter or oil or Pam in the frying pan so the food don't stick. Until you clean that off....nothing will stick for long.

Now for the hard questions...it is a completed shaft, with joint plug glued in with threads and a ferrule also, as you have stated you have used it, so how do you expect to effect this addition, as you do not have a lathe, as you have stated, so how do you expect to accomplish ANY modifications? A lathe and expert knowledge is required for all that you have asked about...and yet you have none of those...so...one has to wonder....????
I would consider changing the tip before reworking the whole shaft....jump cues are light, one needs to learn how to control what they have in they hands...
Just my thoughts
Dave

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When they make Carbon Fiber shaft blanks they use a Mold release agent so the mold form they build the blank on will "release' from the CF blank. If you don't clean that off from inside of the tube....no much will stick to it....sorta like using butter or oil or Pam in the frying pan so the food don't stick. Until you clean that off....nothing will stick for long.

Now for the hard questions...it is a completed shaft, with joint plug glued in with threads and a ferrule also, as you have stated you have used it, so how do you expect to effect this addition, as you do not have a lathe, as you have stated, so how do you expect to accomplish ANY modifications? A lathe and expert knowledge is required for all that you have asked about...and yet you have none of those...so...one has to wonder....????
I would consider changing the tip before reworking the whole shaft....jump cues are light, one needs to learn how to control what they have in they hands...
Just my thoughts
Dave
^^^^^ if you don't have a lathe, etc. simple logic tells this.
Now you have a finished jumper that as you said can jump pretty easily with some lack of control on the cb. What you may get after your experiments...who knows...some " fun" and experience for sure. What are you going to do if don't like the results?
When you do something some methods allow you to redo the job afterwards if you don't like the results and after some methods you may end up with unuseful product but some experience of course. Not having a lathe and some other tools may be needed makes your project quite a challenge with pretty much predictable result (ihmo).

_tony_

Registered

Just my thoughts
Dave

Thanks for the explanation.
No disrespect to the skills that you all have and have develop with years of experience, I'm not trying to diminish the difficulty of what I'm trying to accomplish, altough I'm a passionate DIY person, and after asking the shop where I've been bringing my cues for anything they needed (that I didn't feel confortable doing myself) and getting a "No" as an answer, I decided to proceed alone. I could ship it somewhere to some other cuemaker in Germany, altough it would probably cost me as much as buying a new custom Purplehearth cue, so before heading that direction and buy another cue (I'm a bartender, but here we don't earn as in USA mostly because tips aren't as much, so I can't really threw cash out of the window) I was wondering what could be the best way to increase the weight of a hollow carbon fiber shaft that has no metal joint (the cue tie together with a carbon fiber joint cnc out of the butt and the shaft).

It is easy enough to get a carbon fiber shaft blank to finish at 3.5 oz or more with just foam, and the weight of the joint plug (phenolic or juma ) plus the weight of the ferrule plug and tip. Now, if you want to defeat the purpose of a lighter jump shaft extend the length of the joint plug adding more weight. If you don't understand any of this or lack the tools to make a shaft; give your blank to somebody qualified to do the work, they will epoxy the plugs, thread or add an insert. Personally, although I've done many carbon fiber shafts I prefer Purple Heart for jump shafts. :)

Mario

Ehehe, now that I've tried one I understand why :)

You can clean the small particle of carbon inside with water after dry it very well and shoot air pressure inside before the filling, I would proceed like that, Good Luck!

Thanks!

Yess sure, and it would be very strong, you can add cutted fiber filament like that we mix in concrete or other but it not a necessity. I think that it would be the easiest and the more uniform dispersion of weight.

Ok, I'll consider that.

^^^^^ if you don't have a lathe, etc. simple logic tells this.
Now you have a finished jumper that as you said can jump pretty easily with some lack of control on the cb. What you may get after your experiments...who knows...some " fun" and experience for sure. What are you going to do if don't like the results?
When you do something some methods allow you to redo the job afterwards if you don't like the results and after some methods you may end up with unuseful product but some experience of course. Not having a lathe and some other tools may be needed makes your project quite a challenge with pretty much predictable result (ihmo).

That's why my first initial though was to use a steel rod with gummis at the bottom and at the top, exactly the lenght inside the shaft, so that I could put it in and plug it out if the result wasn't good. So that if I would be happy with it, I could think on making it definitive adding some materials inside the shaft,

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have machinists in your area check it with them, it's only a job of 10 minutes to decap it on a lathe, only a couple of $$.
Probably that only epoxy would be too much in weight, you can cut small pine wood piece with a knife and put in the mix.
Don't worry about what will happen inside of the shaft, epoxy will be in contact on all shaft lenght, rinse inside well with water and dry it well, no problemo!