What is a pool hall? Pool room?

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
So what is the defining factor that makes a business pool room?

Is a sports bar with 6 or more tables a pool room? Do you need 9 footers to qualify? Can you have TV's everywhere with sports and be a pool room or does that make it a sports bar? Is there a difference?

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the Chicago museum guy comes on and answers this, He's got the best info.
I thought Halls were large and only had tables. Rooms were smaller and had one or two other things along with pool. Let's see if I'm right.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There were 25-50 and more table rooms back when there was little or no TV, PC's,or video games. But even in most areas the 6-10 table Mom & Pop's room was the backbone of pool. When pool started its slide, the big rooms went under first. But today even the small pool only rooms are closing faster than ever. Rent, salaries, Ins, light/heat/air, table maintaining, and many other expenses, make it impossible for a stand alone poolroom to survive. Pretty soon pool tables will be only a sideshow to sport bars and the # of tables will get smaller and smaller.

A list should be put up on AZB with all the reasons poolrooms and pro pool is failing. When most see how long that list is and how many things need to be fixed, and some can not be fixed, they will really see how up against it poolrooms and pro pool is. Johnnyt

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
There were 25-50 and more table rooms back when there was little or no TV, PC's,or video games. But even in most areas the 6-10 table Mom & Pop's room was the backbone of pool. When pool started its slide, the big rooms went under first. But today even the small pool only rooms are closing faster than ever. Rent, salaries, Ins, light/heat/air, table maintaining, and many other expenses, make it impossible for a stand alone poolroom to survive. Pretty soon pool tables will be only a sideshow to sport bars and the # of tables will get smaller and smaller.

A list should be put up on AZB with all the reasons poolrooms and pro pool is failing. When most see how long that list is and how many things need to be fixed, and some can not be fixed, they will really see how up against it poolrooms and pro pool is. Johnnyt

So true, in the 80's you could rent a building, fill it with tables and make money. I have been saying for awhile that pool is now relegated to a side room in sports bars.

Rasputin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Ames, mister.

Not much to add to that.

Though myself I do appreciate a small bar, so that the casual alcoholic which I am doesn't have to keep his own bottle.

I would think that the global decline of the true billiard room is a consequence of the increasingly negative attitude towards gambling. A while ago there was a great enthusiasm towards poker, which I would have hoped to give something for pool as well... but it came, it went. Internet and so on.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is a sports bar with 6 or more tables a pool room? Do you need 9 footers to qualify? Can you have TV's everywhere with sports and be a pool room or does that make it a sports bar? Is there a difference?

I think weather it's just pool or pool and liquor that are the main attraction then its a pool room/hall...take groggys on main street for example...dive bar, with 9 bar boxes (at least that's what i remember... might have only been 6?) ...I consider that to be a pool room even though they make a majority of the cash on liquor most of the crowd there is/was (its been 8 or so years since ive been there) pool players...Seems like one of the sixshooters was all bar boxes as well but i still look at it as a pool room....

If you go to a bar on a Monday night during football season and the football fans out number the pool players its probably a sports bar...

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member

I consider any place with pool tables and no alcohol a pool room.
If alcohol is available then I consider it a bar.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been in a pool hall in fifty years of playing pool from coast to coast....been in well over a hundred pool halls and every single pool hall has always served beer.....drinking beer goes hand in hand with pool halls dating back to the 80's...........and by the way, that would be the 1880's.......... back in the wild west days.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I've never been in a pool hall in fifty years of playing pool from coast to coast....been in well over a hundred pool halls and every single pool hall has always served beer.....drinking beer goes hand in hand with pool halls dating back to the 80's...........and by the way, that would be the 1880's.......... back in the wild west days.

Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower, CA has never served a drop of alcohol since it opened in 1988. About 35 nine footers, 6 billiard tables, 3 bar boxes, and two 6x12's.

Still open...

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in leagues at BQE in Queens, Raxx, and The Hub both on Long Island, all three great Halls and Sports Bars, but one of my favorite pool rooms is House of Lords in Hicksville, Long Island, which is just a pool room, nothing else, no bar. (They do have a juke box and light snacks at the counter but basically just pool) There are usually a number of real pool players there. And although I never played 3 cushion billiards, there is usually 1 or 2 games going on which I like to watch when I'm not playing pool.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
The pool hall I learned how to play position in had no alcohol 1 bar table 1 9' and about 15 8' oversized tables. It had a coke machine, vending machine, jukebox. I haven't been there in several years so I don't know if it is still open. Back in the 80s and 90s it was full most weekends. If you went in any day at 11 am and said that you wanted a money game, someone would be there in 5 minutes.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Minimum of 10 Tables, 4.5 x 9.0 NO BAR TABLES.

Food Service like a Hot Dog, or Burger, not a full restaurant. Or maybe a Snack Bar.

Soft Drink & Beer sales only, No Hard Liquor, No Wine.

Maybe a small shop to replace a tip, or buy a Cue but not a Full Blown Pro Shot with a Gazillion Cues. Cases, and Gadgets.

Pool Pays the Bills, No Booze, or Juke Boxes, WiFi, or Video Games .

That is a old time Pool Room, and are there any left, not in Phoenix AZ.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me a hall or room means the bigger tables...

Sports bar...think baffalo hot wings type of place..big screens
a plenty..an no pool tables..bummer.

I play in two bars mainly..they both have ten tables..one with
valleys an the other with Diamonds..there set up for league play.
both have a full kitchen..

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
To me a pool hall has all 9' or Pro 8' tables, Snooker table, and some 3 cushion tables all rented by the hour, not coin ops. Maybe 3 bar boxes that take quarters. Also has a pro shop where you can buy cues, cases, and other pool related equipment and supplies.