Do you watch your league team members play?

Adam Tetzlaff

Registered
I really miss my many years in the VNEA and the BCA(PL). Here in Gainesvile, we have little besides APA.

I agree. This tends to be an issue that is much more prevalent in the APA format due to the way it is structure. The BCAPL is more team oriented. Every player is involved and contributes in each round. Not just their one match-up for the night.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a Sunday afternoon league which is about 25 miles from my house. I try to stay till the end but if I have to be somewhere I'll politely ask my team mates and captain "do you need me to keep score or something or can I take off" and they always say it's OK for me to go. My Wednesday night league is an individual league so I usually leave after playing.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
My teammates leave when they're done. I don't mind. I'm not a very social/talkative person so I don't need the company. While they're there, they watch the matches going on or maybe warm up a little if there's an available table.

I didn't like my APA team much though. They stayed until the end but spent all their non-playing time staring at their phones.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
I play in an APA league on Tuesdays. Myself, the captain and the co-captain are usually the only ones that stay until the very end. Unless of course one of the other players is needed to play the final match. The captain is pretty good and usually lets everyone know what their chances are of playing a match on a given night and when. We have 8 players on our team and all but one works in the morning. Our matches seem to end after midnight most weeks. I actually get up earlier for work than everyone and get annoyed when others use that as an excuse to leave early. I think it says a lot about character to stick around for your team since you DID make a commitment when you signed up. I also think I have an obligation if need to coach. Especially if the co-captain ends up playing the final match. Him and I are the two most knowledgeable and better players on the team so if I bail he will be left without a good second opinion if he needed a timeout.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a Wednesday 9 ball team. 7 players and usually just 3 of us at the end. Everyone wants to shoot early and leave. One has to get up early. Another is retired but I think leave because his gf has to get up early. Another wants to leave early so he can go home and drink. Told my wife I just want to get on another team next session. It's no fun for me. Rather just stay home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Is this APA? If both captains agree the other team can put up a player twice. Your team can decide who they put up.

On a related note, how do you deal with players that don't want to share the work of scorekeeping? My APA team plays double jeopardy (8-ball and 9-ball), and I have some players that don't want to score for 9-ball.

The rules specifically state that no player can play twice and that a team cannot over post the 23 rule. Our LO lets them do that if both captains agree. So both captains can agree to break the rules and it's ok............ I think that is BS...........

I am a team captain and I will not over post, i will not allow anyone to play twice, and I refuse to do make ups......... if you don't have your players here........ forfeit........

It would be a lot better if every played by the rules.........

Kim

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
There all too busy on there phones and iPads to watch anybody else....lol

Our newest player showed up the first night and never said a word to us as he was so busy on his phone all night. If I were captain, I'd ban phones during the match...seriously

Fwiw, I've NEVER left a league match, in my 30 years of playing leagues, before the match was over. I was scheduled to sit out last week so I went to the nearby pool hall first to watch another team's match and then went to my bar to watch ours, but our team had already won and left the bar. For some reason I felt guilty that I missed it. False guilt, maybe?

Why play on a team if you're not willing to be a teammate for the team that you joined to be on a team that is a team?:eek:

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Regarding scoring APA (snip).

APA is different than most other leagues in that each player plays all of his games at one time. That means the first player of the night has no more to play so sometimes s/he leaves early (jobs, boredom, etc.). In my first (and last) season of APA, I was playing my match and looked back at my team and I was the only one left as it was after midnight. Somehow the fun had just gone out of the evening.

Jeff Livingston

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We always try to stay for the full set, even if we are not playing that night or have already played. I like that about our team. It's more social and more fun, and I think everyone plays a little better when they kind of feel like they have their own rooting / cheering section behind them. I know I do.
But sometimes things come up and it's no big deal.
Who would have the advantage in a last match of the evening situation when the one player is the last one left from their team, and the other player has their entire team behind them?

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am 65 years old and get to each APA match at least one half hour before the start. Usually the captain and maybe one other player is there for the first hour, which often limits our posting flexibility. I also score first if i'm not playing first. And after I play I'll usually have a cocktail and stay available for coaching. I am about 30 years older than our next oldest player and I have to get up at 6 am. Therefore I typically leave about 11 or 1130 pm (rather than stay till 1230 am which is when the last match ends) and I think that is fine; no one on my team has ever complained. So I think it all depends.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I stay and watch for 2 main reasons,

1 I am usually the one who does the coaching if a player asks so I like to see the entire match up to that point so that I can give him the best advice possible.

2 I usually play last and play the other teams best player.

I don't mind it in fact I prefer to pay attention to other peoples game. It helps me access the competition and helps me better match up my players in the future.

But I don't get down on players that cant stay until the end every night. Some people just are not able to and that's okay.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand if players have to be up early for work and need to leave after they play...The ones I don't care to have on my team are the guys who don't show any interest in the rest of the team.