reversing english

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In certain cases the CB may imparts a little spin to the OB. Very little if any.

randyg

You've never used English to change the angle of a bank shot? Can only be explained by transfer of spin from the cue ball.

To the OP's question:

The only way to get the English on the cue ball to "reverse" is to get the axis that the cue ball is spinning on to flip. If you watch and 3 cushion you have seen this done many times.

I posted this before I read all the way through. I thought someone would have mention this already.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have made this shot go 4 rails many times, but I can't generate enough power for 5 , even though I think it is possible.

There have been examples using rails, but, there was at least 1 player who said he could do it without the use of a rail , I know Bob will know, anybody else know who the player was, that said he could make the cueball do an s?
Hint :It may have been by using his fingers like Mike Massey to flick the ball.
I don't think there is any proof that he ever did it though.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There have been examples using rails, but, there was at least 1 player who said he could do it without the use of a rail , I know Bob will know, anybody else know who the player was, that said he could make the cueball do an s?
Hint :It may have been by using his fingers like Mike Massey to flick the ball.
I don't think there is any proof that he ever did it though.
On napped snooker cloth you can do an S, according to some. You shoot, say, with right side and the cue ball curves initially to the right, then the side spin interacts with the nap of the cloth and the ball curves to the left. I have never seen a good demo of this, though.

But this is not reversal of the sense of the side spin.

On a related issue, it is possible to put right side spin on the cue ball and have it swerve to the left, but that is also not reversal of the sense of the side spin.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can make the CB do an "S" using the "technique" in the following video:

NV B.33 - Back-hand swoop and twist ball-turn techniques

Hint :It may have been by using his fingers like Mike Massey to flick the ball. I don't think there is any proof that he ever did it though.
For those interested, here is a slo-mo analysis of Mike's "finger pool" technique:

Mike Massey Finger Pool

Also, if you pre-spin the CB in place before striking it, all sorts of bizarre CB action is possible. Here's an example:

Martin van Rhee physics-defying masse shots (with the CB pre-spun in place before the shot)

Enjoy,
Dave

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
If my original question was vague I apologize, but I got some very interesting links to check-out and will be practicing my bank shots with a new perspective now that will keep me interested and focused at the practice table, so win win and some cool info, thanks to all.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If my original question was vague I apologize, but I got some very interesting links to check-out and will be practicing my bank shots with a new perspective now that will keep me interested and focused at the practice table, so win win and some cool info, thanks to all.

Any time you can get Bob Jewett and Dr Dave involved, it becomes a good thread.
Patrick Johnson and Freddie Agnir would’ve made it even better.
....some great minds there.

‘course, people that think at level are sometimes a bit socially awkward....:smile:

E4A3BF9D-828D-4972-BFDE-9632AD711ECD.gif