World 9 Ball Championship 2017 (9-14 Dec) ,Doha- Winner $30K

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place 28 Thomas Engert?????
How old is this ranking?
Thomas stopped playing as a professional years ago

since fargo is showing the speed of the players from 10 yrs ago or so i find it ok that engert is still in the rankings.......:grin-square:

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Wu Jiaqing and Johann Chua are both out.

Stage 1 is done, 64 to the knock out, may draw soon.

anyone knows if there are matches today at 16:00 Doha time? there were matches at that time yesterday.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
As our closest neighbor, I always cheer for USA in the Mosconi Cup.
Since there are no Americans left in this tournament, I would like y'all to return the
favor and cheer for the two North Americans left....
Martin Daigle
John Morra

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As our closest neighbor, I always cheer for USA in the Mosconi Cup.
Since there are no Americans left in this tournament, I would like y'all to return the
favor and cheer for the two North Americans left....
Martin Daigle
John Morra

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Morra launching out of retirement to take down a world championship!

Or

Daigle, the family man who put his head down and trained hard to rise to the top of the world.

Both have great story arcs and I'm in their corner.

It will be a crime if they have to play each other early.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a list of final 64 for anyone interested....

http://www.esnooker.pl/turnieje/2017/w9bc/en/show_list_players5.php

What are your predictions?

Kaci is strong. Finishing #2 at US open and if he takes this down, would make him player of the year IMO.

Ten players from Taiwan and five from China. That's almost a fourth of the field!
Seven from the Philippines and six from Poland! Twenty one players who are 25 or younger and eight of them are 20 or younger. Zielinski from Poland is 16!

Sadly, the USA is totally out of the picture!

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
The amount of young talent in the top 64 is incredible. Over half of them are 30 and younger and there are only 4 guys 40 and over (they are outnumbered by the teenage bracket!).

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ten players from Taiwan and five from China. That's almost a fourth of the field!
Seven from the Philippines and six from Poland! Twenty one players who are 25 or younger and eight of them are 20 or younger. Zielinski from Poland is 16!

Sadly, the USA is totally out of the picture!

It's so funny for me to hear commentators here in the US saying something like "OMG he's just 20 blah blah" not knowing that that's not a rare thing outside the U.S to have major-winning caliber player around that age.

Somehow in the U.S people have the idea that pool players need a lot more years to reach that level, maybe it ties to the idea of most players here are self-taught compare to "more formal" learning/practicing pool like a real sport the way many others countries do.

Maybe go to pool school > go on the road ;).

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like there's a lot of lag on the youtube streams? Anyone else experiencing the same issue? It's been a problem every day so I just quit watching.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Somehow in the U.S people have the idea that pool players need a lot more years to reach that level, maybe it ties to the idea of most players here are self-taught compare to "more formal" learning/practicing pool like a real sport the way many others countries do.

First you have to buy all the magazines, DVDs, laser shafts, magic chalks, wonder wax, super gloves and of course you have to buy at least 10-20 godly amazing cues until you finally decide which one is the....prettiest one! Then you feel ready to really learn how to shoot pool but you realize you're 60 years old!:D

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... it's going to be exiting for those folks to go over there & COMPETE on a world stage, many are friends of mine.

Good Luck to all

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like there's a lot of lag on the youtube streams? Anyone else experiencing the same issue? It's been a problem every day so I just quit watching.

Try to change the quality. It's been smooth sailing for me the last 3 days on all tables

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's so funny for me to hear commentators here in the US saying something like "OMG he's just 20 blah blah" not knowing that that's not a rare thing outside the U.S to have major-winning caliber player around that age.

Hoppe beat the Lion of France when he was 18.
Mizerak won at straight pool as a teenager.
....and there was a kid from South Dakota.....

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoppe beat the Lion of France when he was 18.
Mizerak won at straight pool as a teenager.
....and there was a kid from South Dakota.....

Say the U.S has three, but in the span of how many years? The argument you are making is like saying oh Vietnam has won 3 Medals in the whole history of Olympic so what they have been doing is totally fine lol.

There is actually another way, the Filipinos way: millions of players play/gamble night and day everyday, the number x the hours = some that rise to the top. It works but not really efficient. Taiwan has 1/5 of Philippines population (and for perspective 1/15 of US population), pool is super popular in both country, but they have about the same number of world-beaters.