I heard a theory about how to make masters chalk more like kamui

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I do find this type of comment puzzling. I've no objection to people not wanting to pay $30 for a piece of chalk, but to suggest it's no better than Masters is ridiculous IMO.

More grip. Fewer miscues. No need to chalk before every shot. It does what it says on the tin.

I like to chalk after every shot. To not do so causes laziness and an inconsistency in our PSR. This is also bad. Buy yourself a pink shirt , some Master chalk and break run and repeat

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I smoke a pipe and use this setup to humidify my tobacco. Just a wide mouth prescription bottle with many holes drilled into it.

Moisten the sponge so it's not dripping, and place it into the bottle. It keeps my tobacco moist for months and months.

If you wanna try moistening your chalk, or smokeables, this is hard to beat. Distilled water is best, but as long as you don't add too much water with a dripping sponge, tap water is just fine.

Never put fruits or vegetables in any container because if you don't monitor it daily, they can cause mold.

Probably won't make a bit of difference with your chalk, but I'd assume chalk would absorb moisture just as well as my tobacco does.

IMG_5486.jpg

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I had a girl friend that used to rub my chalk between her legs before I played in a match. It didn't make the chalk any better or worse but I liked smelling my cue tip while I was deciding which shot to take........................

LOL

Kim

Oh yea and it made a blue stain in her thong.........................

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I do find this type of comment puzzling. I've no objection to people not wanting to pay $30 for a piece of chalk, but to suggest it's no better than Masters is ridiculous IMO.
More grip. Fewer miscues. No need to chalk before every shot. It does what it says on the tin.

You can't state that unequivocally, going on a vague impression.
Things like this can and should be methodically tested.
It's hard to be objective when it's your $30 at stake.
You wouldn't have spent that much if you weren't predisposed to believe it works.

Testing and cold, hard statistics can produce a clear answer but nobody seems to have done this.

I believe that if you chalk properly, miscues are user error, every time.
The only question is, can a layer of chalk bail you out when you hit the CB where it shouldn't be struck.
For most miscues, the answer is no.
MAYBE there's a percentage of miscues that are right on the "miscue border",
that can be salvaged if you have the right flavor of chalk.

So what we're talking about is an event that might happen once a week,
and maybe only 10% or 20% of those rare events are affected by chalk brand.
You need hundreds of miscues (which might take years over the course of normal play)
using both masters and kamui before you can make a rational, objective judgment,
and say "this brand of chalk definitely miscues less often".

KWilliams

Registered
I smoke a pipe and use this setup to humidify my tobacco. Just a wide mouth prescription bottle with many holes drilled into it.

Moisten the sponge so it's not dripping, and place it into the bottle. It keeps my tobacco moist for months and months.

If you wanna try moistening your chalk, or smokeables, this is hard to beat. Distilled water is best, but as long as you don't add too much water with a dripping sponge, tap water is just fine.

Never put fruits or vegetables in any container because if you don't monitor it daily, they can cause mold.

Probably won't make a bit of difference with your chalk, but I'd assume chalk would absorb moisture just as well as my tobacco does.

View attachment 304380
I smoke pipes and cigars too. Boveda humidification packs would work even better.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I smoke pipes and cigars too. Boveda humidification packs would work even better.

If you don't inhale like I did, you're most likely OK. This month I'm 14 months off of nicotine.

I always equated smoking and not inhaling with having sex with your clothes on. Smoked for 53 years, and one morning I just thought I'd try quitting.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I was talking to an old timer (he's in his 70's) about chalk and how I find it hard to swallow paying $30 for a single piece of Kamui when I can buy a box of Masters for 5 or 6 bucks...He told me that if you want Masters to "paste" on like the Kamui that all you have to do is put a single drop of water on the Masters and let it soak in over night...He said this is a trick that they used back in his day...Is there any truth to this? Has anyone here ever tried it? I figure for the cost the experiment might be worth while...

No truth to this. Kamui chalk has lanolin in the formula, which can't be duplicated with a drop of water. The lanolin is what makes the chalk a bit greasy, pasty, whatever you want to call it, including smooth.

All the best,
WW

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using kamui for 2.5 years and I just opened my 3rd piece. the other was still usable with probobly 20% of the cube left but I just wanted to open a new one. thats not that expensive in my opinion ,

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. the other was still usable with probobly 20% of the cube left but I just wanted to open a new one. thats not that expensive in my opinion ,

It is, if you're holding on to that last scrap or wedge as still usable.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Ok, so the worst that can happen is that you try it and it sucks. That about right? Seems like a no brainer. We aren't all going to try it and then play a money match. That would be idiotic.

Freddie

Exactly, There was a guy here that posted something he did using hard tips.
He cleaned his tip off and rubbed skin oils into the tip from his face or something like
that. He said he never miscued. I've not tried this yet on my regular playing cue.
Anyone?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Exactly, There was a guy here that posted something he did using hard tips.
He cleaned his tip off and rubbed skin oils into the tip from his face or something like
that. He said he never miscued. I've not tried this yet on my regular playing cue.
Anyone?

My stroke is so whacked, I'd hafta have superglue on my tip not to miscue.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is, if you're holding on to that last scrap or wedge as still usable.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It is what? A year and a half with 1 piece of chaulk lol that averages to like $1.50. I’m not rich but I can handle that lol

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Since this ancient thread was bumped........
If whatever's on the table (Usually Master) is good enough for Shane and Earl it's certainly good enough for me.
Amateur's worrying so much about chalk etc. is funny.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I was talking to an old timer (he's in his 70's) about chalk and how I find it hard to swallow paying $30 for a single piece of Kamui when I can buy a box of Masters for 5 or 6 bucks...He told me that if you want Masters to "paste" on like the Kamui that all you have to do is put a single drop of water on the Masters and let it soak in over night...He said this is a trick that they used back in his day...Is there any truth to this? Has anyone here ever tried it? I figure for the cost the experiment might be worth while...

I'm not gonna read these threads. But, Silver Cup chalk, made in Georgia is very dense, more than Master. Silver cup was made in an extremely humid part of the country and gets stored before being sold. Silver cup chalk always seemed more dense and cakey, and was always more prone to miscues when ramping up your swing speed for a power draw shot. For the average player it works just fine. For the top end players, this chalk has too much moisture in it and miscues are more prevalent, as are miscues with layered tips and master chalk. Shaws cue tip at the US Open this year was always White. I'm sure everyone knows what that is?.... is it? the 30 dollar cube ?
My guesss. wetting would ruin it..............

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Yeah buddy... Zombie thread... We are winning the war but there are still hold outs so let's go thru it... Chalk is like wood or leather... It wicks or sheds moisture depending on the surrounding environment... Chalk works well between 0% moisture content and 12%.. Above that it will slip... Counter to what you think a little moisture improves how it works... Adding some moisture to master will make it better than bone dry master but it will not make it a premium chalk or even close....

We ship every cube at under 5% but it will move some based on where you live... I know you should have been enlightened by someone before now but there are no chalk or tip makers left here.... We all left.. You have importers so enjoy...

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since this ancient thread was bumped........
If whatever's on the table (Usually Master) is good enough for Shane and Earl it's certainly good enough for me.
Amateur's worrying so much about chalk etc. is funny.

Stephen Hendry won 7 world titles with a £40 cue and cheap chalks.

Pool players = "All the gear, no idea"