Juma vs. grainless Elforyn, FERRULES

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
For those well experienced with both materials, what's the difference? I can see a few shades difference in color, and a slight difference in weight. The Juma is more yellow & a little heavier. Aside from that, can anybody discern the differences in playability, feel, and durability? Has anybody compared the two in their cues? I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has that experience. Thanks much

danny turner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
juma

i have tried elforyn,lbm and juma.the juma has the worst sound,but to me the best hit.you get a little extra pop on the cue ball with them.just my opinion.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Thanks for the post, Danny.

I figured on seeing more opinions about this. I have read so many comments about Juma being the best ferrule material that I bought some to experiment with. I bought some elforyn, too. I constantly experiment and often consider others' opinions to instigate an experiment. 99% of the time I keep it all to myself but this time I thought i'd see what others thought who have maybe tried the same thing. Nobody else has compared the two? Or even experimented with both materials?

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
i have tried elforyn,lbm and juma.the juma has the worst sound,but to me the best hit.you get a little extra pop on the cue ball with them.just my opinion.

Danny,

I agree with you about Juma. I only use three materials for ferrules on my cues Juma as my standard issue on spec. cues and the option of micarta or ivory on custom builds.

The micarta is a slightly harder than ivory and Juma is a medium hit and does not have that high pitched sound. It does have a special pop that is exclusive.

I don't thread or cap my ferrules, only file six keyways with a v file. I like the hit of linen melamine but have issues with it's appearance features.

JMO, works for me.

Rick g

97Buick22

Go Blackhawks!
Silver Member
I like the Juma as it has a nice feel to it. The Elforyn is indeed a lighter material and a bit softer hit. Neither material is like ivory IMOP. Not saying thats bad.... You can tell when you take a cut on either material that Juma is the harder of the two. It still is not a hard as LBM, but stronger than Titan, XTC, MPI, and the other soft plastics.... I believe Juma and Elforyn are made out of the same factory and share many of the same main ingredience.

Last edited:

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I like Juma, I don't love it but I do like it. IMHO ivorene 3 is still the best non ivory material but these days players seem hung up on ferrules that stay clean. Not sure when all that came about but it almost seems to take precedence over playability. My solution was to make my ferrule design in such a way that it has minimal affect on play.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I like Juma, I don't love it but I do like it. IMHO ivorene 3 is still the best non ivory material but these days players seem hung up on ferrules that stay clean. Not sure when all that came about but it almost seems to take precedence over playability. My solution was to make my ferrule design in such a way that it has minimal affect on play.

Yup. Me, too. I bought some of both materials to compare. I'll see which is worth a hoot, if either. Tough to beat good 'clean' Spaulding melamine. Not so easy to get any that's clean anymore.