www.bertkinister.com Streaming Lessons Review

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
http://www.bertkinister.com

I have been familiar with Bert Kinister since the 80's and had a few of his VHS tapes from back in the day. I recently jumped back into pool and decided to sharpen up and get in stroke so I subscribed to Bert's website. Here is my review:

1. The stream quality is very good, fast and very few hiccups. The website itself is laid out beautifully, easy to navigate and has a great look.

2. The video quality is poor, many of his videos are converted from VHS to digital and others are just one camera from one angle. There is very little editing and at times you are watching one of his students shoot the same shot over and over for what seems like forever. I find myself fast forwarding once in awhile just to get to the next segment. On the flip side I have watched videos by other instructors that have fantastic production quality, professional editing, multiple camera angles, etc. but the teaching was lackluster. Personally I would rather have poor production and awesome teaching than vice-versa. I am after good information not Hollywood special effects.

3. The drills, insights, secrets and stories are incredible. Bert's knowledge of the game is almost scary. He is truly a great teacher of the sport of billiards, plus he can actually shoot the shots he teaches unlike some other instructors I have run into to.

4. The price is very fair. About a buck a day for full access to a treasure trove of information. Currently he has 92 online streaming videos. There is apparently an iphone app as well. Pretty cool to have a master instructor in your pocket at the pool room at all times. Wish I had this 30 years ago.

5. I suggest having a pen and paper handy or better yet print out some pool table diagrams to takes note and draw out the drill positions and shots as Bert presents them. There is no accompanying charts or diagrams to the website - I do feel that would be a nice addition.

6. Bert provides an email and a phone number to get in touch with him. He says he is available for his students, even the 'distance learning' students such as myself. I am impressed with his willingness to make himself available to everyone who needs help. I've never met Bert in person but his love of the game is obvious.

Overall the website subscription is well worth it.

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Rodney Dangerfield of Pool

Bert gets no respect. He has dished up a ton of hidden knowledge over the years and has had a ton of his material stollen. I took lessons from him in the late 80s and still to this day use allot of his stuff to stay consistent. I still have the vhs tapes and I still review all the time. He comes back to Chicago once a year and we usually go get a beer of three. He is a character and defiantly an acquired taste but a true wealth of knowledge. Oh yah, and if you've got a few bucks he is still always looking for action. He's the real deal, not just a keyboard cowboy.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Bert & his knowledge about how to play is great. Yes, he's a personality, but he's OK.

I use the Mighty X, the 6 point Star, the 9 Point Star, the Ladder & some of his banking tapes. I gotta get these transferred to DVD.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a lot of knowledge in his videos. However, due to his ego, you have to listen to 2 minutes of BS for every 1 minute of content. Just MHO.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I have seen over half of his VHS lessons, some of which I bought and some that I got from a friend. The workout and shotmaker videos are very good but tough to watch. Best thing is to get a pen and paper and diagram the shots so you don't have to watch the video again.

Other videos are interesting but small amount of content and a lot of talking. Again, watch the video, take notes, and work the exercises.

The only other thing I didn't like was the production quality of the earlier tapes, but nothing can be done about that.

It's not just a critique of Bert, a lot of instructors that make videos like to repeat things too often. Once you discuss the topic and demonstrate it once or twice, move on! I think it's just a way to fill up minutes to make a full length tape or DVD, or sometimes it's just a personality thing.

Scott