How would you shoot this? Layout Included.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
The game is 8 ball and you are solids.

5 ball cannot be banked back across to side or to the corner pocket since the 6 & 10 balls are in the way.

The 6 cannot be cut into the corner without scratching in the side - no way to avoid the scratch. It cannot be banked since the 10 ball is blocking. It also cannot be cut into the side pocket. (diagram is not perfect you will have to trust me on this one)

The opponents 9 ball is frozen to the rail if that matters to you.

This is what I was faced with to win a tournament last weekend.

poolshot001_zpsc8b4c8f8.png

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try to thin the 6 with right english trying to stick the cue on the 8 ball. Even if you don't get perfect, he will have a really difficult shot.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
My first thought would be to bank the 5B straight ahead & follow the CB off the rail behind the 6B. The 5B would rest near the lower right corner. The opponent would struggle to find a response that would not sell out a shot on either the 5B or the 6B.

EDIT: I see a flaw in my plan...the opponent could roll ofF the 10B & lock me behind the 6B. EZPZ

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot the 5 into the 10 for a safe. The opponent will have a hard time banking the 9 and then getting out. He will also have a hard time getting safe if he makes the 9.

But since all shots go on the WEI table---just carom the 6 off the 10 into the corner, make the 5 in the side and an easy 8 ball.

Last edited:

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
It's a long shot but how about a 6 5 combo bank in the side.
After that it depends on where the 6 rolls to for a straight in shot???
I was going for the run out, not thinking defense.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the 6 into the 5 too, but I would hit it kinda firm with some L) spinglish, to come back up behind the 8 and leaving some separation between the 6/10.

I wouldn't think I could stick it on the 8, but I would like to make him shoot the. 10 from somewhere near a straight bank to the low left pocket in the pic.

Or maybe slow roll 6 into. 10 in a way that doesn't tie them up? Then he could just slow roll up to the 9 though and you'd have to come with a toughie then.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Im playing safe too. I like to skim of the 6 ball and try to hook him behind the 8, like LSU said. I wouldn't try to stick on teh 8, tho. I would concentrate on overcutting the 6 into the 5 and making sure that i got the CB where he cant make the 10.

If you overcut the 6, it goes near the bottom corner pocket and the 5 banks to the middle of the table. As long as you use good speed to get the CB where he cant see the 10, it leaves a ton of pressure on your opponent. With both of your balls in makeable positions, your opponent cant play a weak safe with the 9 ball. He has to do soemthing aggressive or sell out to you.

Eric

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
If I was feeling frisky, I would hit the six into the long rail at or slightly above the second diamond to three rail it into the corner near the nine. Hitting the cue ball with bottom left to take it into the long rail about the third diamond and coming around three rails for the five in the side. If the six goes it would be a real crowd pleaser. If it does not go the leave should still be very difficult for the stripes.:thumbup:

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Shoot that six ball off the side of the ten down the rail into the corner using a little follow. The ten ball should hypothetically relocate to the opposite rail (in case you miss). Collect your cash and buy a bucket o beer.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
Looked at it again & you could do a 6 5 combo safe & leave the cue ball down on the end rail while opening your balls up.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push the 6 to the other side of the 10 rolling up on the 5 he has to shoot the 9 jacked over a ball. depending how they all lie you may have a combo or a good safe to play on your next shot.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
simple- carom cue ball off/through the 6 lightly, to get it (the cue ball) to touch left side of 5 ball, where the 10 cant be seen, then wait until next shot and rethink the process, you got the advantage unless you screw it up somehow by trying a low percentage shot, just duck and hide until its time to make the winning move...

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try to put the 5 ball on the ten to line it up for a combination to get rid of the ten into the pocket later. Being carful not to leave and easy bank on the nine to the five ball. I would leave the six there to be used as a shield to hook the nine ball.
With two balls on the table against his one you should win.

Play safe

Hit 6 off long rail in front of top right corner and roll CB up behind 5. I ler him hav the 9 to shoot or safe. He will be shooting over the 5. His chance of making the 9, then 10 in practically zero. With the 6 out front of the corner I am a huge favorite to win. The 5 is still in front of the side. Easy ball after 6 in made.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Thin the six on to the left side of the five, leaving the six near the side pocket. The CB will end up on the rail probably between the corner pocket and the first diamond.

Leaves your opponent with a kick at the nine. Nothing he can do with the 10 since it's tied up with the five.

Even if the CB rolls further it will probably be blocked by the 8 (from seeing the nine).

If he does contact the nine you'll have a shot at the six in the side with a breakup of the 5-10. If he rolls up to the 10 he'll probably clear the five for you and leave a kick on the six in the side.

I never miss this shot...on a screen layout.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thin the six on to the left side of the five, leaving the six near the side pocket. The CB will end up on the rail probably between the corner pocket and the first diamond.

Leaves your opponent with a kick at the nine. Nothing he can do with the 10 since it's tied up with the five.

Even if the CB rolls further it will probably be blocked by the 8 (from seeing the nine).

If he does contact the nine you'll have a shot at the six in the side with a breakup of the 5-10. If he rolls up to the 10 he'll probably clear the five for you and leave a kick on the six in the side.

I never miss this shot...on a screen layout.

Couldn't he roll behind the 10 and hook you?

I re read your post and seen your idea if he did that but I think he could roll up on it and not disturb the 5
So you will have 2 tough shots and he didn't have to make any other then a soft hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigshooter

Silver Member
My first thought was to roll the 6 up on to the 10 and force my opponent to shoot at the 9 ball. I guessed he would slow roll the CB off the 9 and towards the corner.

Then the safety battle is on which I did not want.

I opted to Z Bank the 5 for the corner and draw the CB back at a slightly better angle for the 6 in the same corner in without the scratch in case I made the 5.
I knew if I hit it right the 5 would block the corner from the 10 and the 6 would block the cross side/cross corner bank on my opponents 10 ball plus the 8 ball was hanging out there too even though I forgot to include it in this second diagram. LOL

This left my opponent a tempting but hard spin shot on the 9 ball. I knew it was froze and would be a low percentage shot. He bit and tried the shot. Missed it and I ran out.

(Cuetable is not exactly right but I think you get the idea)

poolshot002_zps4b0c1049.png

Last edited:

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't have even looked at that, probably since I like safety battles lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigshooter

Silver Member
I forgot to include the 8 ball on my second diagram LOL. It did not magically disappear. :D