Earl Strickland cuetec

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I'm using an earl Strickland cuetec as a break cue. This is coming after a rough stint of months with a joss Thor hammer. The accuracy I get is amazing, and with a samsara tip, I can really smash racks these days. It might be me but I hear/sense a bit of weakness coming from the ferrule. Would anyone have recommendations with regard to a new ferrule material? Would I see improvements in power per say?It currently is a stock cuetec ferrule. Thx

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a Cuetec for breaking, years ago. The only problem was it developed a rattle when the weight bolt broke loose. I believe it was a common problem at the time. I don't know if construction of the Cuetec is different now, or not.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of those cues that I used as a break cue for a long time and it hasn't developed any problems. I have a White Diamond tip on it.

I am now using a cheap Players rosewood sneaky Pete as a break cue. It has a standard Le Pro tip on it. I sometimes shoot with it and it plays good.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The Cuetec ferrules are weaker than others when it comes to breaking. They usually deform and then crack. I used 2 of them strictly as breakers and they broke very well, until the ferrules let go. I would recommend either LBM, or brown / black phenolic, and you will be pleased.
Dave

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get a Tomahawk ferrule -> see Tomahawk thread :)
Yes, Cuetec have air cushion ferrules to aid LD and are not solid solid.

Cheers,
M

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what your issue was with the Joss Thor Hammer but if you still have it and want to unload it then I know a kid that needs one. I call him a kid because he's 22, good kid just starting out. If you are selling I'll find out what he has to spend (maybe I can help him with that).

As for the Cuetec, you seem to enjoy some aspect of how it plays. You get more accuracy.

IMHO if you change that ferrule to something very different, that could change.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys, did not know about air cushion ferrule, explains why it feels ok, not broken, but not quite solid either. This shaft is one of the straightest I own, I had always thought cuetec shafts like these were synthetic and did not warp, until I took out my cuetec jump break for the first time in years. All kinds of wobble, separately and together.