Silver Member
Anybody know the foream/butt wood?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It's neither resin stabilized nor stained.

Hint: it smells like toffee when cutting

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Dark brown curly maple. Really good looking cue. Matt D.

You got it. It's cooked maple. Apparently it gets heated to the point that it changes color. It's supposed to be more stable than normal maple, and enhanced tonal qualities. As far as I can tell from working with it, I can't disagree. And it really does smell like toffee, not coffee, when cutting. I guess it's due to the charred sugars in the maple sap.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Again, cue looks sugary sweet! (see what I did there?) And I was just guessing at the wood....lucky guess... Matt D.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Can you send it to me so I can smell it? I like toffee smells.

I gotta say, it is pretty pleasant to work with:thumbup: The stuff shimmers in the light a lot like koa does. I might have found a new favorite wood. If only I knew how to do it to my own maple :scratchhead:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You got it. It's cooked maple. Apparently it gets heated to the point that it changes color. It's supposed to be more stable than normal maple, and enhanced tonal qualities. As far as I can tell from working with it, I can't disagree. And it really does smell like toffee, not coffee, when cutting. I guess it's due to the charred sugars in the maple sap.

I used to get some shaft wood back in the 90s from new york that had that sweet candy smell when I would turn it. And it was almost snow white.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they do a similar thing to the necks of some guitars. "Baked" is the term the luthiers use.

Very nice cue!

DEGAMO88

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's a beautiful cue. Is it for sale?