When to tip?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are selling a pool cue and meet with a prospective buyer in a pool hall, are you expected to tip the room owner above and beyond paying for the table time?

If so, how much?

Does the value of the transaction matter?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as your not doing it everyday or very frequently
I wouldn’t see any reason for that.

In fact your prospective buyer may put down on some food
or table time.

Maybe you should be getting a referral fee;)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend that laid out several cues on a table during a large tournament.
He had the permission of the counter person.
He sold a few low end cues .
He could not understand why I said he needed to throw the counter person a small cut.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are selling a pool cue and meet with a prospective buyer in a pool hall, are you expected to tip the room owner above and beyond paying for the table time?

If so, how much?

Does the value of the transaction matter?
Good question - my response to this question is from the viewpoint of a poolroom owner/manager. Particularly if the poolroom buys/sells new and used cues, if it's done on a regular basis by the same person, I could see this as potentially causing an issue with the owner/manager of a poolroom. If you have the courtesy to ask the manager first if it's OK, that may certainly help.

Generally a poolroom that buys/sells new/used cues would/should be the first contact someone should make regarding their interest in selling or trading their cue. However, obviously if you strike up a deal with a customer that is a better deal than what the poolroom owner/manager offers you, I don't see a problem with getting the best deal you can, but having the courtesy to either give the owner/manager a heads up or completing the transaction outside of the poolroom is just common sense, in my opinion.

If you get a better offer on a sale or trade from another customer than what the owner/manager has offered you, if you discuss that offer with the owner/manager, they'll likely either tell you to go ahead and make the deal with that person, or they might possibly up their offer to either match or give you a better deal.

Bottom line - if it's your regular poolroom that you enjoy going to and playing at, and is struggling to stay in business as many poolrooms are, and you know they buy/sell new/used cues, at least have the courtesy to give them a shot at making a deal with you on a cue before you buy or trade elsewhere. Most room owners are able to get cues from suppliers at a dealer price which is a significantly better price than you can get, so you might be surprised at the deal you may get if you just give them the chance.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
No, you don't tip the hall.

Whether I'm selling a cue once a year or once a week. I can meet someone anywhere to sell a cue.

Odds are the person buying the cue will want to try it. Which means money for the hall.

I'm bringing more traffic into the pool hall. There isn't a business out there that doesn't want more traffic and many pay major advertising dollars to do that.

The purchaser may have never been to the hall. Good chance they're gonna play while they're there. Good chance I'm gonna play too, maybe try and win that stick back:thumbup:

All the way around that's good for the pool hall.

Edit:Those statements are under the assumption the hall did nothing to facilitate the sale. I wouldn't solicit pool players in a hall that sells cues, not w out the owners permission.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Good question - my response to this question is from the viewpoint of a poolroom owner/manager. Particularly if the poolroom buys/sells new and used cues, if it's done on a regular basis by the same person, I could see this as potentially causing an issue with the owner/manager of a poolroom. If you have the courtesy to ask the manager first if it's OK, that may certainly help.

Generally a poolroom that buys/sells new/used cues would/should be the first contact someone should make regarding their interest in selling or trading their cue. However, obviously if you strike up a deal with a customer that is a better deal than what the poolroom owner/manager offers you, I don't see a problem with getting the best deal you can, but having the courtesy to either give the owner/manager a heads up or completing the transaction outside of the poolroom is just common sense, in my opinion.

If you get a better offer on a sale or trade from another customer than what the owner/manager has offered you, if you discuss that offer with the owner/manager, they'll likely either tell you to go ahead and make the deal with that person, or they might possibly up their offer to either match or give you a better deal.

Bottom line - if it's your regular poolroom that you enjoy going to and playing at, and is struggling to stay in business as many poolrooms are, and you know they buy/sell new/used cues, at least have the courtesy to give them a shot at making a deal with you on a cue before you buy or trade elsewhere. Most room owners are able to get cues from suppliers at a dealer price which is a significantly better price than you can get, so you might be surprised at the deal you may get if you just give them the chance.

Excellent point of view that absolutely should be considered. :thumbup2:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why on earth would an establishment that is looking to turn over any cue they sell be the first option for someone selling a cue? They want to turn a profit so they have to offer you less than what they think they actual market value of the cue is. If the market value is higher than what they are going to give you, why wouldn't you try to get full market value yourself? That just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why on earth would an establishment that is looking to turn over any cue they sell be the first option for someone selling a cue? They want to turn a profit so they have to offer you less than what they think they actual market value of the cue is. If the market value is higher than what they are going to give you, why wouldn't you try to get full market value yourself? That just doesn't make sense.
I think I clearly explained in my reply that if you can get a better deal than the poolroom will give you, as a buyer or as a seller, then I see no issue with it. All I'm saying is to give them a shot at it, particularly if you're going to use their poolroom to facilitate your transaction.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Because you are selling a cue in an establishment that sells cues.

Unless the sale was arranged prior to the buyer and seller meeting in the pool room, IMNSHO, a 15% consignment fee (with a cap for high end sales) would not be out of line.

YMMV

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to the responders for providing their perspectives. I hope more opinions can be provided. I am not a dealer or a flipper and I am not currently anticipating the sale of any of my cues. The broader discussion is still interesting to me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You dont think selling a cue at a place that sells cues is sometimes taking money out of the place's hand?

Any business would be foolish to to host another business that competes with it. Especially foolish to do so for free.
It is.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...not currently anticipating the sale of any of my cues. The broader discussion is still interesting to me."
I am not currently anticipating having the skill to win the us open, but let's discuss that as possible too.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not currently anticipating having the skill to win the us open, but let's discuss that as possible too.

I posted a question but did not provide my reasons for asking. Some of the responses provided perspectives on issues outside of my initial concern, but I still found them interesting. Whenever I post a question, I let responders know that I am reading their responses and appreciate their effort.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to the responders for providing their perspectives. I hope more opinions can be provided. I am not a dealer or a flipper and I am not currently anticipating the sale of any of my cues. The broader discussion is still interesting to me.

If you are meeting someone you have been talking to and meet at a room to sell it to that person. Then No, but a friendly gapper would be nice. It shows respect. If you are displaying cues to sell for all to see, you should be charged rented space whether you sell something or not. There is quite a difference between the two. If you are invited by the room to display and sell cues. The terms should be discussed before showing up.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP, I think it depends on if your selling cues as a business or just unloading a used cue.

If this is your business selling cues, then I would agree with many statements on speaking with management/owner first. Then maybe discussing a percentage and such.

However, if your just a random customer and your selling your used cue or even a friends used cue.... then no.