Fixing American Pool by forming the NBL (National Billiards League) & PBA Tour!!!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope & Change were ideas that a politician sold the USA, sadly ideas sometimes do not work. First thing all Pool needs is one common orginizations, for Pro Level & Amature Events.

I am sure the people who run the BCA, BCAPL, APA, TAP, and other groups will stand in line to relinkish their power, and money flow to their pockets.

Kevin T, had his WPL thing, it was flying high, untill it went down in flames. People still owned money they will never see.

Like I said the two best Pool Movies Hustler and COM, did a wonderful job of show how the world of Pool operates, full of tricksters, huckster, and conmen & women. Great flicks, but DOD not much to sell people the ideas Pool was like Mom's Apple Pie.
Lot of truth here regarding national leagues that make huge profits off pool and give nothing to the game. There is only so much money to go around. Leagues divert players away from what your vision and mine are. How is the PBA going to advocate for amateurs to choose to play on nine foot tables with proper rules?

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 3 pages in, I still don't know what we're playing and what to tell my wife who doesn't play why she'll have fun.

...what's the game again?
.. what's the set-up, venue look like? maybe a massive floor of tables with no seating?

Matchroom, whom I haven't caught any of their action/shows in a couple years,
would seem to have the advantage because of a gambling sponsor who makes money off of their gig's - - - Matchrooms',
if I understand their circle, model of things.

Like the OP I'm optimistic of the future, what this sport can offer also,
its just that it wouldn't conform, look and play like present day status regularities.
Yes, shooters would be suited up in their colors, ear plugged and connected with his or her spotter and crew...
hang on... the fastest 18 minutes of billiards on the planet!

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Pool means a lot of things to a lot of people. If it was meant to be a huge financial success, it would have already made it. Sports like baseball became financially successful organically. Baseball didn't need some kind of slick marketing plan to make it the national pastime. Pool will never be a money pump. There will never be a Professional Pool Tour like there is a PGA Tour. Here's why:watching pool on TV is like watching paint dry. The beauty of pool is holding your stick and bustin' a rack. Leave it alone. It's doing fine by itself.

Football, baseball, golf, soccer, tennis have always had one thing in common....support from schools and local governments.

This needs to change.

Next.......you want a NFL type atmosphere........go to a NFL game. Pool needs to be above that type of behavior. I don’t want to be on a shot and some yahoo yelling and shit.

Last.........for there is no tourneys in the Midwest and west......that cuts out most the country.

Oh, what’s the game? It best be 8 ball cause that is the most common game.

Or have separate divisions for each discipline of pool.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He's a professional golfer who violated a rule in a sand-trap by improving his lie during practice swings. Overall a pretty minor situation that has received a ton of media attention in the golf world; and that's because golf rarely has any sort of unsportsmanlike like behavior. It is a game of high integrity in the professional space.

He was also thrown out of UGA for being a thief and a cheat.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to fix pool.

It's become a drinking game. A game you play when you drink.

...And listen to loud music!

The modern tavern ‘barbox’ generation of billiard enthusiasts has firmly associated pool with alcohol & music. It seems no poolroom can stay in business anymore without a jukebox & bar. Do chess clubs or card rooms allow loud jukeboxes? Can you crank up your boom box while competing at a pro golf tournament?
Is there still a quiet traditional room left anywhere a serious player might concentrate on his game without distraction? I fear billiard’s elite prestige of days gone by, thus may well be lost forever.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DON'T forget the GLUE. Rumor has it that any solution to pool's woes will enatail large amounts of glue, specifically blue glue. Whether this glue is for table use or sniffing is still up in the air. ;)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Sounds neat. Hope it works out.

What sanctioned locations are hosting in Maryland?

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m in-nothing negative to say

What can the average 55ish year old single male occasional ball banger do to help you?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I remain positive for anything being done with this in mind.

Some things I think need to happen before we save pool are:

Self Sustaining Rooms (not bars) have to be created.

Those rooms need to know how to find new to Pool customers.

When the numbers of both of the above are up then you may have an advertising base.

If you're talking about saving Pro Pool, your base should have something to do with that.

Anything that fixes Pool is going to be slow and better involve a foundation of funds that
generate funds from interest/appreciation so that there is prize money each year. Not just please give us money because Pool is good, nice etc.

The modern tavern ‘barbox’ generation of billiard enthusiasts has firmly associated pool with alcohol & music. It seems no poolroom can stay in business anymore without a jukebox & bar. Do chess clubs or card rooms allow loud jukeboxes? Can you crank up your boom box while competing at a pro golf tournament?
Is there still a quiet traditional room left anywhere a serious player might concentrate on his game without distraction? I fear billiard’s elite prestige of days gone by, thus may well be lost forever.
The pool room days you're speaking about are indeed lost forever.
The bar is a good source of revenue for a place and needed to help offset the high costs of rental space. Especially for mixed drinks that cost about 35 cents to mix and then are sold at 5 bucks or more.
The loud jukeboxes don't generate that much money, and it would be nice to see them go. Not likely however.
Senior citizens like me are trapped in a "culture of noise".

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Try the small towns and see what kinds of rental rates they have. You'll find space available from $1.50 per square foot per year up to $5.00 psfpy.

Space is available in some small towns. The tables and lights are what's going to cost you.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool tables are there to keep you around to drink. It just feels that way with pool culture and when I think pool players I mostly think of league players now. Our local weekly tournament is getting older. The decline is very real. There are more older/senior citizen players than there are young men and women.

It's one thing if the pool rooms were full of teens, 20 and 30 year olds but it's not. That's when you know the game is on a decline. League players are there because it's their life. It's where they drink and socialize.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool tables are there to keep you around to drink. It just feels that way with pool culture and when I think pool players I mostly think of league players now. Our local weekly tournament is getting older. The decline is very real. There are more older/senior citizen players than there are young men and women.

It's one thing if the pool rooms were full of teens, 20 and 30 year olds but it's not. That's when you know the game is on a decline. League players are there because it's their life. It's where they drink and socialize.

That's right. There isn't any kids coming into the sport from a young age and that's exactly what we need to think about long term.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here in Colorado Melissa Little runs junior tournaments.
I have seen a steady decline in the number of players.
Too bad because she does this for free to promote the game.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Haha we plan on doing social media. Actually a dedicated social media personnel will be advertising, promoting, running interviews, commercials, standings etc on Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat & Twitter all together.

Keep in mind that Facebook has returned to being used by a mostly older crowd now. Appealing to a younger generation of players should focus on: Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat.

Other ideas are being tossed around as multiple streamers join the force and we provide a free stream of multiple locations around the US on qualifier day to watch as players qualify from 32 different locations on the same day.

These guys might be able to help.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We already have it, albeit one tournament a year. It's called the Mosconi Cup!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Just let the spectators have as much fun as they do at a major sporting events (think that might have something to do with how they got MAJOR?) Sitting quietly in your chair like your in a library isn't any fun and Americans don't identify with it. A pool tournament with an NFL atmosphere, that is whats missing.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Here in Colorado Melissa Little runs junior tournaments.
I have seen a steady decline in the number of players.
Too bad because she does this for free to promote the game.

There are also plans to use this network of 32 locations as a platform for funding juniors from all over the US making it more accessible and financially feasible for the parents.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
I remain positive for anything being done with this in mind.

Some things I think need to happen before we save pool are:

Self Sustaining Rooms (not bars) have to be created.

Those rooms need to know how to find new to Pool customers.

When the numbers of both of the above are up then you may have an advertising base.

If you're talking about saving Pro Pool, your base should have something to do with that.

Anything that fixes Pool is going to be slow and better involve a foundation of funds that
generate funds from interest/appreciation so that there is prize money each year. Not just please give us money because Pool is good, nice etc.

Please watch these 3 videos. ALL of that is being addressed. Thank you!

The Questions & Problems...
https://youtu.be/kGFWaXl6BiU

The Answers and Fix...
https://youtu.be/sMvDW0XY_sk

The Finished Product...
https://youtu.be/tqDvLOugXL8

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
What can the average 55ish year old single male occasional ball banger do to help you?

Stay tuned, participate in your local qualifiers and hype up other players to do the same.

Spread the word and share the posts. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Sanctioned locations will be announced soon!