The path to pool progress leads beyond the four rails

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of players that put a ton of time into their game and stop getting better. They play leagues, do drills, spar with friends, and yet the years roll by and their results haven't changed. When this happens they either resign themselves to accepting the status quo because they didn't have enough god given talent, or they redouble their efforts at the things aren't moving the needle. What is it they are overlooking?

Career management.

When you start playing pool the path towards improvement is a paved highway. Smooth sailing! Every time you pick up the cue you get better. Finding an instructor is as easy as going to your local pool room and hitting balls with someone because every person you play has something to teach you. Then you get a little better. Most of the easy progress has been made. You are keeping up with your peers or beating them. You aren't learning new things every day. It's starting to become a gravel road, then a trail through a jungle. Before you know it you develop habits of what to practice, who to play, how to think, and that trail disappears and you are lost and stuck.

The underlying concept of career management is this: The game isn't just played on the table, it encompasses anything and everything between where you are and your goal. You have to look outside the four rails. The game has changed, if you don't change with it you will be stuck in the mud.

For example, I have a deep distaste for social media. I'm not on Facebook or anything else. Outside of AZBilliards I'd rather just stay off the grid. But here's the problem. How do I find out about tournaments? I posted about this in the past and most people said FB was the way to go. All of my peers are linked in with other people that direct tournaments, run pool halls, or with organizations that are spreading flyers and notices left and right. As a result of this I have missed many, many tournaments I'd love to play because I didn't know about them until it was too late. Last year when Des Moines, IA, had a big tournament I didn't find out about it until I saw an update thread on AZB. This happens to me again and again!

I practice enough and only get to fly to a few tournaments a year. The only way for me to improve is to find regional competition that can push me. So if someone was coaching me and I asked them what I should practice to get better, their answer should be "Put the cue down and for 1 hour a week get on FB and look for tournaments". That's it. Name one other thing I can do for an hour a week on the pool table that will benefit me to the extent that finding an additional 4-5 good tournaments a year would?

Maybe you think this applies to me because I'm a 'top player'. But it's not true. I've seen many, many examples of people in the 5-600 fargo rate range that are totally stagnant yet who pump hour after hour into working on fundamentals and sparring in their local pool rooms without improvement when the solution is with how they are managing their career. Several of the students I've worked with have told me one of the biggest things we did together was to help recognize, budget, and plan around some of the obstacles in their life that were interfering with their progress. I might elaborate more on a Cue-it-up podcast episode as I can spit them out without having a thread turn into 5 pages. But the end result was when we really look at their goals and whether their behavior was moving them towards their goals they realized the two didn't really match up. Off the table. Not on the table.

Bottom line, the world is full of disappointed pool players that thought if they worked hard enough on the table the world would beat a path to their door and it would all just come together. Or that since the road started on the table it should stay on the table so they don't have to adapt. But when you accept that there is more to pool excellence than excellent pool and decide to incorporate off the table obstacles into the game, then you will not only have a chance to hit your goals, you will find it's easier than you think.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of players that put a ton of time into their game and stop getting better. They play leagues, do drills, spar with friends, and yet the years roll by and their results haven't changed. When this happens they either resign themselves to accepting the status quo because they didn't have enough god given talent, or they redouble their efforts at the things aren't moving the needle. What is it they are overlooking?

Career management.

When you start playing pool the path towards improvement is a paved highway. Smooth sailing! Every time you pick up the cue you get better. Finding an instructor is as easy as going to your local pool room and hitting balls with someone because every person you play has something to teach you. Then you get a little better. Most of the easy progress has been made. You are keeping up with your peers or beating them. You aren't learning new things every day. It's starting to become a gravel road, then a trail through a jungle. Before you know it you develop habits of what to practice, who to play, how to think, and that trail disappears and you are lost and stuck.

The underlying concept of career management is this: The game isn't just played on the table, it encompasses anything and everything between where you are and your goal. You have to look outside the four rails. The game has changed, if you don't change with it you will be stuck in the mud.

For example, I have a deep distaste for social media. I'm not on Facebook or anything else. Outside of AZBilliards I'd rather just stay off the grid. But here's the problem. How do I find out about tournaments? I posted about this in the past and most people said FB was the way to go. All of my peers are linked in with other people that direct tournaments, run pool halls, or with organizations that are spreading flyers and notices left and right. As a result of this I have missed many, many tournaments I'd love to play because I didn't know about them until it was too late. Last year when Des Moines, IA, had a big tournament I didn't find out about it until I saw an update thread on AZB. This happens to me again and again!

I practice enough and only get to fly to a few tournaments a year. The only way for me to improve is to find regional competition that can push me. So if someone was coaching me and I asked them what I should practice to get better, their answer should be "Put the cue down and for 1 hour a week get on FB and look for tournaments". That's it. Name one other thing I can do for an hour a week on the pool table that will benefit me to the extent that finding an additional 4-5 good tournaments a year would?

Maybe you think this applies to me because I'm a 'top player'. But it's not true. I've seen many, many examples of people in the 5-600 fargo rate range that are totally stagnant yet who pump hour after hour into working on fundamentals and sparring in their local pool rooms without improvement when the solution is with how they are managing their career. Several of the students I've worked with have told me one of the biggest things we did together was to help recognize, budget, and plan around some of the obstacles in their life that were interfering with their progress. I might elaborate more on a Cue-it-up podcast episode as I can spit them out without having a thread turn into 5 pages. But the end result was when we really look at their goals and whether their behavior was moving them towards their goals they realized the two didn't really match up. Off the table. Not on the table.

Bottom line, the world is full of disappointed pool players that thought if they worked hard enough on the table the world would beat a path to their door and it would all just come together. Or that since the road started on the table it should stay on the table so they don't have to adapt. But when you accept that there is more to pool excellence than excellent pool and decide to incorporate off the table obstacles into the game, then you will not only have a chance to hit your goals, you will find it's easier than you think.

Great post.

One of my favorite tips I learned was "fixing" your real life would make you a better player because your time on the table would be more focused. Hard to focus on pool when you are worried about outside things all the time.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Heard you mention this on the podcast. This really needs more attention and shouldnt just get buried.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Icon. I don't think I made my point as clearly as I wanted to above. Let me try again more directly:

ANYTHING BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR POOL GOAL IS PART OF THE GAME

How do we deal with challenges on the table such as tough shots, clusters, or being hooked? We recognize them, practice our skills at shot making, break outs, and kicks/jumps, then we take on that challenge when we play and do our best to test ourselves. This is facing adversity with a good attitude and winning plan.

Yet too often when people face obstacles in their life between them and their goal they get negative and frustrated. It's like they think when they decided to play pool they signed up for the 'on the table' obstacles but expected everything off the table to be easy breezy. Then when that's not the case they become frustrated and ineffective.

How we should handle the career/life challenges of pool is the same way we handle the physical on the table challenges. Recognize, plan, practice, engage.

So if you're challenge is you don't have many good players in your town that push you, you need to recognize that your pool game is no longer on the table. It's no longer practicing shots, or breaking, or jumping. You need to make finding competition part of the game and take it with the same passion as if it's a routine shot you continuously miss. You need to find a plan on how you're going to overcome that. Maybe an online group that competes against a solo game like Equal Offense, then posts their scores and has a 'virtual league'. Or learning how to install and record play so you can play 'ghost' tournaments with other people online to see who does better. Who knows? Not my problem. But if you want to hit your pool goals you'd better understand that finding competition is every bit as critical as making shots or playing position.

Bottom line, if you want to arrive as a player, you are responsible for finding a path that leads to that outcome. And most players that don't get where they want to be fail because they didn't realize the obstacles holding them back were no longer solved by more hours on the table.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a person isn't 100% there....well, their performance will suffer.

^^^^^^^is true for everything in life.

OP: your post is a good reminder to anyone thats ever bent over to shoot and let a passing thought enter the equation and not ....stop....stand up.....and start over.....instead they just try to pull-it-together on the fly and end up missing a shot, missing position or choosing the wrong pattern soon after.

IMO, when outside thoughts come to the table, it may be time to take care of "whatever" it is that's causing it or accept the fact that your wasting your time and energy.

Learning to focus is ine thing....being able to focus is an entirely different situation.

In the end, as we age and start to deal with injuries......time and energy is of utmost importance.

Jeff

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post. Coincidentally as I was examining how I’m going to become a better player over the past few weeks, getting my life outside of pool to be my best at pool, has come up repeatedly in my thoughts. Taking instruction from you also on my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

MakeTheSix

Registered
I would like to add since you and I spent time on this discussion.

On one hand, I disagree with your philosophy as it applies in my own situation, which might be somewhat unique. What does that mean? It means that after I went underground to reinvent my pool game a couple years ago, 99.99% of balls I’ve hit since then have not been hit against another human pool player, and most of the balls I’ve hit have been hit within the format of a drill, shooting patterns, cue ball control, pocketing balls and working on fundamentals. My victories are counted on spread sheets with numbers and percentages—concrete proof of improvement.

I also know players who have thousands of games in FargoRate. They play leagues, play weekly and regional open tournaments, and even go to Vegas to play. Despite all that, their ratings don’t deviate much.

There is a point. Competition doesn’t have to be the answer. Let’s say I’m a 500 player and I'm having trouble moving my cue ball from point A to point B on a certain shot. Flying to a big tournament and playing against someone ranked 150 pts higher (or lower, for that matter) does nothing to improve that shot. That shot needs to be perfected on my own in my basement. Table time is imperative.

What tournaments and matching up against tougher players does do is it has the potential to toughen up the mental game. There is also a chance a lesser player might notice something new from the better player that he or she can put into his or her game.

When I started playing basement pool my FargoRate was at 506. My plan is to have it at a 580 when I see the sun again; maybe impossible, we’ll see, but I think there is more than one way to manage my career.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
agreed

I would like to add since you and I spent time on this discussion.

On one hand, I disagree with your philosophy as it applies in my own situation, which might be somewhat unique. What does that mean? It means that after I went underground to reinvent my pool game a couple years ago, 99.99% of balls I’ve hit since then have not been hit against another human pool player, and most of the balls I’ve hit have been hit within the format of a drill, shooting patterns, cue ball control, pocketing balls and working on fundamentals. My victories are counted on spread sheets with numbers and percentages—concrete proof of improvement.

I also know players who have thousands of games in FargoRate. They play leagues, play weekly and regional open tournaments, and even go to Vegas to play. Despite all that, their ratings don’t deviate much.

There is a point. Competition doesn’t have to be the answer. Let’s say I’m a 500 player and I'm having trouble moving my cue ball from point A to point B on a certain shot. Flying to a big tournament and playing against someone ranked 150 pts higher (or lower, for that matter) does nothing to improve that shot. That shot needs to be perfected on my own in my basement. Table time is imperative.

What tournaments and matching up against tougher players does do is it has the potential to toughen up the mental game. There is also a chance a lesser player might notice something new from the better player that he or she can put into his or her game.

When I started playing basement pool my FargoRate was at 506. My plan is to have it at a 580 when I see the sun again; maybe impossible, we’ll see, but I think there is more than one way to manage my career.

My post was poorly articulated. Forums can be a difficult venue to discuss mental game or approach. My main point is only that whatever obstacles lay between someone and their goal becomes part of the game.

My post was not meant to suggest that competition was the key to improvement. That was an example of a solution that applied to me personally. I realized that I have the physical skills but can't win big events without playing them and acclimating to them.

For others the answers will be different. For another example, suppose someone plays well in general but gets frustrated and plays poorly when their opponents act unprofessionally or in confrontational ways. That might demand a different solution. Maybe they should journal their thoughts and explore what triggers them and new ways to look at and respond to those situations. Maybe they should see a sports psychologist. Or maybe they should play a recording of lout obnoxious people as a background to when they practice pool to visualize and prepare to overcome that challenge (that's how Tyler Styer prepared for the Mosconi Cup). Lots of ways to handle that. But to simple shoot balls on the table without addressing that challenge and then being derailed again and again in competition isn't the right approach, and to then cast themselves as a victim because it's unfair there are jerks in the world isn't effective either. They have to realize if rude players stand between them and the finish line that is just as much a part of the game as pocketing balls.

The challenges are different. The solutions are different. The key is to view off the table obstacles as part of the pool game and treat them as such. Recognize, strategize, execute.

I think your use of measured pool drills is a great plan and has been working well. If your goal is technical improvement then it is all you need, if your goal includes tournament results to reflect your technical improvement then competition will be necessary to some extent. But you are absolutely managing your career and making progress because of it where many people don't (such as those people play tournaments without improvement which are examples of putting in time aimlessly hoping it comes together).

Bottom line, don't put in aimless hours and hope good things happen. Pick your outcome, reverse engineer how to get there, and climb over anything standing in your way!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you

Excellent post. Coincidentally as I was examining how I’m going to become a better player over the past few weeks, getting my life outside of pool to be my best at pool, has come up repeatedly in my thoughts. Taking instruction from you also on my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Thank you JazzboxBlues. Take dead aim and hit your pool targets. If circumstances allow us to work together I would love to help you on your journey!