Wyatt Earps Pool Table Trivia

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone beside Bob Jewett know who sold them the table?
Please give them a day to answer Bob , I'm curious if anyone not in their 70s is doing research.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea about Wyatt's table, if it even ever existed, but I found the following apparently bogus article about the cue his brother Morgan was apparently using when he died. The final two paragraphs are beyond belief.

Morgan Earp (1851-1882) was an American Deputy U.S. Marshal in Tombstone, Arizona. Alongside his brothers Virgil and Wyatt, who were also lawmen, Morgan received many death threats from local members of the Cowboys gang, as the brothers often interfered in their illegal activities.

The tension came to a peak during a 30 second shoot out known as the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral on October 26, 1881, where the Earps and temporary lawman Doc Holiday engaged with the Cowboys. The fight ultimately ended in the deaths of three of the Cowboy members, brothers Tom and Frank McLaury, and Billy Clanton.

To retaliate for these deaths, the Cowboys ambushed and maimed Virgil Earp two months later. The following March, Morgan was shot and killed in a bar while playing billiards, prompting Wyatt Earp to set out on the Earp Vendetta Ride that ultimately resulted in the deaths of four more Cowboy members and Wyatt's arrest.

Though Morgan's death was blamed on the Cowboys, in actuality his death was an accidental shooting, due entirely to his cue balls. Comprised of the recently invented celluloid, which is incredibly flammable, one of Morgan's shots ended up causing a small explosion as two balls violently contacted. Fearful of another shoot out and assuming the sound had been gun fire, some patrons fired their own guns blindly. A stray bullet ended up hitting a crouching Morgan in the left side, shattering his spine and puncturing his liver before exiting.

Infused with the chaos of Morgan's death and perhaps even the ultimate repercussions of it, the billiards cue creates gun shot damage whenever aimed and shoved at a particular target. Though no actual bullets are involved, the cue's damage is accompanied by the sound of a gun firing.

If you look up the article you will see a picture of the cue. Or something.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 'm not sure of the source for this, but it seems to go against other eyewitness reports from reliable sources.
There was a trial held for the 5 men accused of ambushing him , with one of the co defendents abused wife as the star witness, and the main reason they got off was the court ruled a spouse could not testify against her husband. I have to think this is probably someones fantasy. Although it might have happened, at some time, back in the wild days of the western frontier
I have a problem with my trivia question also, Wikipedia says Morgan was playing in a pool room not in their saloon or office as in the movie.
I don't think the info I had said that it belonged to the Earps , just that it was the table he was playing on, I just assumed it was theirs from the movie I think. Boy, am I confused.
I guess I need to rephrase the question,
What famous, infamous pool player, sold the pool table Morgan Earp was playing, when he was ambushed and killed on, to the owner ?
I think this will be my last transmission, my faculties have deteriorated so badly I am no longer a reliable source.

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

Registered
I have no idea about Wyatt's table, if it even ever existed, but I found the following apparently bogus article about the cue his brother Morgan was apparently using when he died. The final two paragraphs are beyond belief.

Morgan Earp (1851-1882) was an American Deputy U.S. Marshal in Tombstone, Arizona. Alongside his brothers Virgil and Wyatt, who were also lawmen, Morgan received many death threats from local members of the Cowboys gang, as the brothers often interfered in their illegal activities.
The tension came to a peak during a 30 second shoot out known as the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral on October 26, 1881, where the Earps and temporary lawman Doc Holiday engaged with the Cowboys. The fight ultimately ended in the deaths of three of the Cowboy members, brothers Tom and Frank McLaury, and Billy Clanton.
To retaliate for these deaths, the Cowboys ambushed and maimed Virgil Earp two months later. The following March, Morgan was shot and killed in a bar while playing billiards, prompting Wyatt Earp to set out on the Earp Vendetta Ride that ultimately resulted in the deaths of four more Cowboy members and Wyatt's arrest.
Though Morgan's death was blamed on the Cowboys, in actuality his death was an accidental shooting, due entirely to his cue balls. Comprised of the recently invented celluloid, which is incredibly flammable, one of Morgan's shots ended up causing a small explosion as two balls violently contacted. Fearful of another shoot out and assuming the sound had been gun fire, some patrons fired their own guns blindly. A stray bullet ended up hitting a crouching Morgan in the left side, shattering his spine and puncturing his liver before exiting.
Infused with the chaos of Morgan's death and perhaps even the ultimate repercussions of it, the billiards cue creates gun shot damage whenever aimed and shoved at a particular target. Though no actual bullets are involved, the cue's damage is accompanied by the sound of a gun firing.

If you look up the article you will see a picture of the cue. Or something.

Bob,

The article is most certainly bogus. The source is a fan website for the science fiction tv show Warehouse 13.

OldManOfTheSea

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the question, my research says that J.F.B. Mc Cleery {a prominent billiardist at the time,} was the salesman of the table they were playing on.
For amusement purposes only This lady was supposedly a fair billiard player also,
Adelina Patti

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back to the question, my research says that J.F.B. Mc Cleery {a prominent billiardist at the time,} was the salesman of the table they were playing on.
For amusement purposes only ...
I did a restoration of the cover of McCleery's book on billiards. Here is what it looked like part way through.

CropperCapture[185].jpg

And here is what I started from:

CropperCapture[186].jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow , your doing a great job Bob , thats a lot of work . Tough book to find also.
Actually, I finished a while ago, front and back and spine. The book looks a lot better in a new cover. A couple of pages had to be remade as well. Here's the print master with cut lines. Note that the y and g in "Playing" in the partial changed to the final. I found that part of the cover on the Library of Congress site.

CropperCapture[187].jpg