Open / Closed Bridge Rules?

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ps............,

How do you 'aim'?

Best,
Rick

I just know that it's impossible to aim with your shaft as distance increases. The ob becomes smaller and smaller...... But the cb is always the same....... So the guy that says that he aims with his shaft at any cb-ob distance doesn't know that he actually aims using his visual intelligence and subconscious adjustments. At least I know that........

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion I use an open bridge whenever possible. I use a closed bridge when I have to such as near a rail or over a ball or for long draw shots. Here is why.

With an open bridge the cue stick rests against the bone on my thumb and on my index finger.

With a closed bridge the meaty part of the index finger rests on the cue stick. This is a relatively soft area. I have noticed that I tend to unintentionally steer the cue stick into this fleshy area and this leads to a missed shot.

I think a closed bridge, while it is often comfortable, leads to a false sense of security especially with regard to left and right movement of the stick.

I have small hands and the problem may just be with me. My fingers are simply too short to make a closed bridge like the Filipinos (and some other pros) use.

If you watch Colin Colenso's power break you will see that he uses and open bridge for an extremely powerful break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1tsONEI_U

So closed bridges are not "required" they are often simply more comfortable on some shots.

My "rule" is to use and open bridge whenever possible.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I believe with an open bridge you can see where your tip hits the ball more clearly,
On the other hand, if your stroke is straight and your bridge firm...
once you settle on a place to hit, you don't actually need to SEE the place.
In fact with a really straight stroke you don't need to see much at all once you're set
(I've seen a local A player run a rack just looking straight down).

So, it may depend on the straightness of your stroke, someone with less than perfect
stroke may find it helpful to see that spot on the cue ball, allowing them to
"correct" the stroke flaw. Of course, you don't want to correct mid-stroke, that's called steering.
Ideally you point at the intended spot and then shoot straight into it.

But steering into the correct spot is better than not hitting it at all.
At least short term. So if opening the bridge lets you do that, go for it.

The more I play, the less it seems to matter, even for long draw shots.
You want to master your body to the point where you don't stand up, move,
swerve or steer regardless of the bridge.

Re: aiming down the shaft... probably the best american player uses the stick.
It's a little weird but it surprised me in that it seems to work.
His explanation can be bought here, for a reasonable fee:
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/svb/61677586

More generally, some people find seeing the whole shaft lets them see where they're aiming.
I always gave a buddy of mine flak for his long bridge, but he points out that
having that long straight line makes a GREAT visual for where you're actually pointing your stick.
Whereas a short stubby bridge is maybe not as clear, especially if your closed bridge
covers up half of that "visual aid".

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a closed bridge the meaty part of the index finger rests on the cue stick. This is a relatively soft area. I have noticed that I tend to unintentionally steer the cue stick into this fleshy area and this leads to a missed shot.

I'm pretty sure you just diagnosed my issue with closed bridge long shots.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also use stick aiming on every shot. Here is my reasoning.

We must know where the shot line is from the back hand to the contact point to consistently pocket balls

When I am sighting from one step back I place the back hand and the cue tip on this line. I forget where I learned it but someone said to think of a glass wall that extends from your back hand to the contact point. I have been able to do this for many years now.

I place the stick on this line, my foot "under" the wall and my head bisects the wall just to the right of my nose. When I bend over, everything is on line and only minor adjustments are needed. If the glass wall doesn't feel right, I stand up and start over.

On long shots I sometimes have an intermediate spot about halfway to the ball. This spot on the cloth should also line up or I have to start over.

ProPoolPlayer, who used to post here often, said to aim with the tip of the stick and this simple devise, along with the imaginary wall are two of the most important things I do for "stick aiming."

It takes much longer to write it than it does to do it once you have it as part of a routine.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I just know that it's impossible to aim with your shaft as distance increases. The ob becomes smaller and smaller...... But the cb is always the same....... So the guy that says that he aims with his shaft at any cb-ob distance doesn't know that he actually aims using his visual intelligence and subconscious adjustments. At least I know that........

ps.......,

I hear you.

But the alignment of the shaft is still part of that visual perception that the subconscious utilizes.

Railroad tracks remain parallel as far as one can see even though the visual may seem like they converge on one another.

The straight line of the cue is all that one can influence upon the striking & sending the cue ball to the intended location upon the collision with object ball.

We understand & agree. It is just the definition of 'aim' that needs much clarification for many.

'Target' as a verb is a better word IMO, IF one then understands the dynamics that the cue ball rarely if ever travels in a perfectly straight line. 'I'm 'targeting' that spot but I'm 'aiming' the stick there'.

That sort of thing is not always understood.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also use stick aiming on every shot. Here is my reasoning.

We must know where the shot line is from the back hand to the contact point to consistently pocket balls

When I am sighting from one step back I place the back hand and the cue tip on this line. I forget where I learned it but someone said to think of a glass wall that extends from your back hand to the contact point. I have been able to do this for many years now.

I place the stick on this line, my foot "under" the wall and my head bisects the wall just to the right of my nose. When I bend over, everything is on line and only minor adjustments are needed. If the glass wall doesn't feel right, I stand up and start over.

On long shots I sometimes have an intermediate spot about halfway to the ball. This spot on the cloth should also line up or I have to start over.

ProPoolPlayer, who used to post here often, said to aim with the tip of the stick and this simple devise, along with the imaginary wall are two of the most important things I do for "stick aiming."

It takes much longer to write it than it does to do it once you have it as part of a routine.

In my opinion all these things have to do with the subconscious mind and visual intelligence. Nothing wrong with that. But it is not "shaft aiming". On long shots you aim a large cb to a smaller ob. So, if you aim your shaft or cue tip in relationship to the ob's edge could this ever be the same at 2 diamond distance and 5 diamond distance? No !!! It will produce a different cut !!!

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re: aiming down the shaft... probably the best american player uses the stick.
It's a little weird but it surprised me in that it seems to work.
His explanation can be bought here, for a reasonable fee:
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/svb/61677586
Thanks for your insight, I'll check it out.

JoeW,

A glass wall, huh. I'm picking up what you're throwing down. I'll play around with the concept tonight.

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open / Closed Bridge

Ok, if you're going to get all Philadelphia lawyer at me (lol), here is a more detailed explanation:

I have found that when the cue ball is on the rail on a long shot (a shot over 4 feet lets say), regardless of whether it is a straight in shot or not, my normal aiming method (subconsciously knowing how to aim) doesn't work well. So, I figured out that on such shots, if I check to see that my cue stick is aiming to the point on the object ball that I want to hit (which I know subconsciously), I more accurately hit that point.

I use the same aiming method when I have to jack up over an object ball to hit the cue ball.

I'm sure if I practiced those two types of shots enough, I would train my subconscious to know how to aim better and I wouldn't have to check that my cue stick is aiming correctly.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ps.......,

I hear you.

But the alignment of the shaft is still part of that visual perception that the subconscious utilizes.

Railroad tracks remain parallel as far as one can see even though the visual may seem like they converge on one another.

The straight line of the cue is all that one can influence upon the striking & sending the cue ball to the intended location upon the collision with object ball.

We understand & agree. It is just the definition of 'aim' that needs much clarification for many.

'Target' as a verb is a better word IMO, IF one then understands the dynamics that the cue ball rarely if ever travels in a perfectly straight line. 'I'm 'targeting' that spot but I'm 'aiming' the stick there'.

That sort of thing is not always understood.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

Ok my friend. I think we should call this "subconscious aiming". I have said there is nothing wrong with this. But it is not objective. You don't aim at anything with your shaft. You just see the right picture. And you get the message that everything is ok, and shoot. It's about feel, not shaft aiming. There is no real shaft aiming for cb-ob distance more than 3 diamonds. It won't work.

Regards

Panagiotis

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
In my opinion all these things have to do with the subconscious mind and visual intelligence. Nothing wrong with that. But it is not "shaft aiming". On long shots you aim a large cb to a smaller ob. So, if you aim your shaft or cue tip in relationship to the ob's edge could this ever be the same at 2 diamond distance and 5 diamond distance? No !!! It will produce a different cut !!!

ps....,

This thread seems to have been derailed.

So...now you are losing me. If the cut is a center to edge cut, it will be a center to edge cut if the distance between the CB & OB is 2 feet or 5 feet. The aim is the same...the center of the CB to the edge of the OB.

How do you see that differently?

Best,
Rick

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ps....,

This thread seems to have been derailed.

So...now you are losing me. If the cut is a center to edge cut, it will be a center to edge cut if the distance between the CB & OB is 2 feet or 5 feet. The aim is the same...the center of the CB to the edge of the OB.

How do you see that differently?

Best,
Rick

No my friend. For me it is not the same. You have to think about it. Only center to center could be the same. But you can't "fight" visual intelligence and subconscious adjustments. Of course if you "aim" this way.........

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ok my friend. I think we should call this "subconscious aiming". I have said there is nothing wrong with this. But it is not objective. You don't aim at anything with your shaft. You just see the right picture. And you get the message that everything is ok, and shoot. It's about feel, not shaft aiming. There is no real shaft aiming for cb-ob distance more than 3 diamonds. It won't work.

Regards

Panagiotis

Panagiotis,

What would you call the physical activity of moving the cue into place to execute a shot?

Best,
Rick

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
No my friend. For me it is not the same. You have to think about it. Only center to center could be the same. But you can't "fight" visual intelligence and subconscious adjustments. Of course if you "aim" this way.........

If the CTE IS the correct actual line to pocket the ball, then as I said the visual of the OTHER lines will appear different from a single perspective as the distance increases as in the railroad track analogy. Walk to the other end & look back. A different visual will appear.

Now back to the other end. It is about one's ability, consciously or subconsciously to deduce the reality of the situation from slightly different visuals. Visuals & perception of visuals are not the same thing.

Are we getting closer or farther apart?

Best,
Rick

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Panagiotis,

What would you call the physical activity of moving the cue into place to execute a shot?

Best,
Rick

You mean if I move on a straight line or rotate to cb? If that is what you are asking I would say I prefer the rotation. But this doesn't have to do with what I have posted. Pls think about it. You aim you shaft straight at ob's edge and cb-ob distance 2 diamonds. And you do exactly the same thing at cb-ob distance 5 diamonds. Straight to the ob' s outer edge. And aiming down the shaft. Close your eyes and shoot straight. Of course, you have to be sure that your stroke is straight. Do you get the same results?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
There are several ways to "aim". Stick aiming is a very popular method. So is aiming with the cue ball.
What have you been taught?
randyg

Quite right. And, you should become adept at using all three bridges. The open bridge, the closed bridge, and the foot bridge.
The foot bridge is used when a pool room doesn't provide a crutch. It is done barefooted, of course, and if you're older you may need some assistance getting your leg on, and off, the table. :smile:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You mean if I move on a straight line or rotate to cb? If that is what you are asking I would say I prefer the rotation. But this doesn't have to do with what I have posted. Pls think about it. You aim you shaft straight at ob's edge and cb-ob distance 2 diamonds. And you do exactly the same thing at cb-ob distance 5 diamonds. Straight to the ob' s outer edge. And aiming down the shaft. Close your eyes and shoot straight. Of course, you have to be sure that your stroke is straight. Do you get the same results?

So you don't 'aim' the cue? You 'rotate' the cue?

When you say aim down the shaft, I assume you mean down the center line of the shaft.

If so, take some plastic round discs (can or bottle lids) of the same size & lay them out as you suggest & then lay a straight edge along the 2 that would be the OBs & then place the 3rd that would be the CB centered under that straight edge. Are you saying the contact point & subsequent angle is different when looking straight down that line?

Go back to the railroad tracks. Take 2 round discs whose diameter is equal to the distance between the rails & that touches both rails. Place them with 30 RR ties between them. Then place a 3rd. disc 20 railroad ties from either one but with the diameter of that disc centered on one of the rails & then stand back & look. Is the center of that disc aligned with the edge of each disc that is touching the rail?

I think you...or I are having a perception of reality problem.

If the angle to the pocket is the same, a stationary OB & the line to pocket the ball is CTE, the CB can be pulled back any length & the line is still CTE.

Perhaps your vision center is not on the shot line, but is instead to one side of it.

Best,
Rick

Last edited: