Help returning to the game after shoulder surgery

jmarcum1984

Registered
I had rotator cuff repair, and have just been taken out of the sling (six weeks of complete non-use). The Dr. says I can start to swing my cue again. So my question is: should I start warming up, even with limited range of motion? Or will I develop bad habits from compensating for the lack of full follow through? Any drills or exercises that I should start with that will get me back to at least playing some?

Thanks

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Are you working with a therapist? If so, I'd ask him or her...maybe some gentle exercises you can do to get back in stroke?

jmarcum1984

Registered
PT 3 times a week, but they are not pool players. Lot's of good stuff to do to help with range of motion and strength building after 6 weeks of nothing. I am sure the next two weeks will yield a lot of improvement, I was just hoping for some help from anyone who has done this and used the slow return to help improve their game, rather then developing more bad habits :)

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
This topic is of interest ot me also, as I will have shoulder surgery in late November, and I am concerned about my game, such as it is.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Have Expert Knowledge......Learned Firsthand The Hard Way

I have had 5 rotator cuff surgeries since 2009......

Left Shldr - Sept 2009...........Right Shldr - Sept 2011, Oct.2013, June 2015 & Feb, 2016.

I know pretty much what one can expect with rotator cuff repairs.......may in fact need to have
another surgery to my right shoulder......verdict is still pending........won't know until another MRI
is performed......total of 3 different surgeons.

Send me a PM and I'll respond back with my tel number. You can call me and I'll do my level best
to acquaint you with what to expect. Partial tears are easy repairs and if your surgeon said you can
resume pool after 6 weeks, then you only had minor repair. You could never do that with full thickness
tears which is good news for you but nonetheless there are things to remain watchful of to avoid harm.

Matt B.

Last edited:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wondering if I have a partial tear.

A couple weeks ago, I used my left hand to reach to my left, behind me, trying to grab a paper towel off my night table.

I heard a noise that sounded kind of like when you tear a chicken apart.

If I clasp my hands behind my head and move my elbows back, I have sharp pain in my left bicep.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still recovering from a full shoulder reconstruction. The rotator cuff was too far gone, for repair, so tendons had to be pulled up from my chest and back. Due to advanced age, it has been brutal. I addressed pool, with my doctor, and he felt pool was an excellent form of therapy. My experience may or may not help. When I started back, I had problems with neck pain when trying to put my head on the sight line. I used that experience work on my stance, and getting more comfortable. I think it turned out to be a plus. Shooting a shot from the rail, or over a ball was impossible. I started out trying to compensate, and decided quickly, that it was a bad idea. I would have developed horrible habits. I went back to concentrating on the shots I was capable of improving, and actually improved my sense of touch. To address the range of motion, I concentrated on therapy off the table, that increased that range of motion. It was several months, and not quick, but I refrained from those shots until I was capable of moving in a normal manner. At this point, the only problem remaining (14 months later), is my break. I do not have the speed necessary to use a cue the same weight as my playing cue, which is my preference. I am using a heavier break cue, and concentrating on maintaining accuracy, and stance. I have not really come up with an exercise off the table to help with it, so I am having to just take my time, and practice breaking a lot, to rebuild the strength and speed.
We are all different, so all I can say is to stay positive and try to stay within your abilities as the currently exist, and see if you can use the experience to improve your mechanics. I believe that trying to do something you aren't ready for, could definitely set you back.
I hope this helps, and if I can be of further help, don't hesitate to ask.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P. S. Good luck with your recovery, and hang in there. It will get better if you work hard at your therapy.

jmarcum1984

Registered
High Miles,
Thanks for the insight. I expected to be sore for a few weeks, but I am on week 7, and most people say it takes 6 months. I will stick to practicing a stroke and only hitting soft and center. It is very frustrating to think about playing with only 20% of the needed tools.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High Miles,
Thanks for the insight. I expected to be sore for a few weeks, but I am on week 7, and most people say it takes 6 months. I will stick to practicing a stroke and only hitting soft and center. It is very frustrating to think about playing with only 20% of the needed tools.

Best of luck, and try to be positive. Therapy is tough, but it is your best friend when it comes to recovery. Practice your lag, and your aiming. I practiced banks and kicks also, in the early stages. The fact that what you can do is limited, allows you to focus on a specific skill and devote a more concentrated amount of time on it than you would normally allow. Let your limitations work to your advantage, it will help you stay more positive.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High Miles,

6 months for full recovery DO YOUR EXERCISES most important part.
I would think that breaking would be the only stress on your shoulder.
I completely ripped my tendon off the bone and had to have 3 anchors put in shoulder and reattached. Your therapist will give you all the info you need.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
View this as an opportunity to introduce your therapist to pool? After all, he needs to know a bit about the game to know what you're working towards.