New pool movie

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Great Find! 9 Ball is played by more different rules than practically any other pool game I know of.

JoeyA

International Challenge of Champions rule:

Unlike other 9-ball tournaments, a player must call the 9-ball before pocketing it. Failing to call the shot or the 9-ball going in another pocket other than the one called will result the 9-ball being respotted and the player loses his turn at the table. Also, a player can't win a rack by pocketing the 9-ball in the break.

From Wiki page- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Challenge_of_Champions

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Gamblers and even tournament promoters and directors make up all kinds of rules for every pool game including 9 ball.

Call pocket for the 9 ball was part of the story as it was written and the two players agreed to that rule. Maybe you will just have to see the whole movie to criticize that rule.

JoeyA
Fair enough - I’m looking forward to the movie! I really like the one actor who played the school president in “We Are Marshall”.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Just watched the movie. Not bad. Saw a familiar face towards the end

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Snooker Theory,
As you probably already know by now, this is an ON DEMAND movie available on Prime video and many other outlets because of the pandemic.

JoeyA

Seems like a really bad time to release a movie unless it's done online... All my local movie theaters are closed down. Was going to watch/buy movie online right now but don't see it listed anywhere on the normal channels like Amazon.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...Joey A, I can tell you put your heart into it, Its just that when I do get a chance to see
it, if the character selling redemption is the one that should be on a leash, not dead
enough Morgan, the story line will be a tough sell in my world,
it's only my opinion though, all the best.

PoolStats

Pool Stats LLC
Silver Member
Got a chance to watch this film tonight. I didn't see the trailer posted on here, because I wanted to go into it with no expectations. That said, I was really happy to see Whistler (as I know him from Sneakers) - Joe - be a major part of the film. The opening made me excited that it was going to be an obsession about pool movie. It wasn't, but I wasn't let down. The tournament at the end had good camera work, though I think it could have been a little improved to get more out of the table and follow the object balls to the pockets. The pool 'sound effects' were a little weak, but that's ok.

The overall story line was typical, nothing rememberable. The movie probably won't stick around in my head for that long as it lacked that certain intensity of a memorable film. But, I'll definitely take more films like this if they include the elements of pool such as this one did. I definitely recommend it to pool enthusiasts.

Film/Pool = 6.8/7.2

And thanks JoeyA for sharing that awesome story of the young actor and the 9-ball.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to Joey A for mentioning all the places to see Walkaway Joe. I watched it last night, and enjoyed it. Joey A was center stage in almost all of the pool scenes in the NOLA tournament. They apparently did keep in the scene where Dallas makes the 9 and wins the tournament, and the crowd erupted! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. A good sports movie is tough to make (only so many times the same stories can be told again)
2. A good pool movie taking place in the present makes it doubly tough. (Hard to have much pool drama, when there really aren't many prestigious tournament going on).

I still believe the best option would be the for movie to take place in the past. It just gives a lot more flexibility and freedom.

Fiction I don't think would work anymore unless something kind of different like a black comedy (like a Cohen Bros film) was made.

Non-fiction, could be interesting. A Mosconi or Mizerak bio film? But hopefully don't make it into the typical Hollywood bio film. I think especially with Mizerak, that could be avoided.

As I think of it more, a movie like the race car driving movie, Rush would be a good model to follow.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"

And this movie, in my opinion, perpetuates the exact reason why the game of pool is viewed as a game for hooligans, roughnecks, and losers.
Also it is why pool players, in general, are consdiered to be second class citizens living second class lives around a second class game.
To me, that is tragic, for the game itself is a beautiful thing to see when properly displayed.
Thumbs down to this film.
Pool Room w. caption.jpg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, for YOU it's thumbs down for The Hustler and TCOM as well, huh? It's a movie dumbass, with legit actors and a reasonable story line, with pool in the background. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

And this movie, in my opinion, perpetuates the exact reason why the game of pool is viewed as a game for hooligans, roughnecks, and losers.
Also it is why pool players, in general, are consdiered to be second class citizens living second class lives around a second class game.
To me, that is tragic, for the game itself is a beautiful thing to see when properly displayed.
Thumbs down to this film.
View attachment 549279

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, for YOU it's thumbs down for The Hustler and TCOM as well, huh? It's a movie dumbass, with legit actors and a reasonable story line, with pool in the background. :rolleyes:
Scott Lee
And your snotty little response is perfectly synonymous with the movie.....
Born Loser.JPG