FargoRate and Salotto

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a tournament uses FargoRate to decide handicaps, it should also submit results to FargoRate. Otherwise a player can choose to play poorly in the reported events and well in the unreported events. Sounds like a TD issue.

Agreed, and so do the TD's. The last chip tournament they started using software so going forward they can report to Fargo. Not sure why the last one wasn't, maybe they wanted to run a test first?

There are a few people in town that are really starting grow the pool scene here, we have our first 1P tourney coming up!

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just looked at the app and it's $2.99 to enter 1 - 10 games, $3.99 for 11 - 15 games and $4.99 for 16 - 25 games. I'm not exactly clear what that means but it looks like the length of the race. That could get to be expensive.

It might be ok for me. I don’t really care after I get 200 games in. I just want an established rating. I’m sitting at 148 games right now, mainly from OLD league matches back way before BCA adopted FargoRate. I had no idea what FargoRate even was back then, much less that my match results were being reported.

I mostly play people who are better than me for the streamed matches. Guys from around 650 all the way to 795. Best I’ve done is 9-5 win over a 730 player. Worst I’ve done is 10-0 loss to the 795 player. Last time I played the 795 guy I lost 11-5 so..I guess that’s progress? Lol.

At any rate, whether I win or lose, I have to think my starter rating will be closer to what it should be by getting games in against well established players.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am super curious how this would work while still maintaining some sort of validation of the result not being faked. Even if you need both players to authenticate the score, it's not hard to find a buddy to fake scores with you.

Wouldn’t that drive their rating up just to help you lower yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I just looked at the app and it's $2.99 to enter 1 - 10 games, $3.99 for 11 - 15 games and $4.99 for 16 - 25 games. I'm not exactly clear what that means but it looks like the length of the race. That could get to be expensive.

When reporting the results is competing with table time.........well good luck with that.

As frustrating as it is to have so many unrated players this is a horrible idea. Even the whif of impropriety shakes the trust in the system which many still don't think works.

Nothing without video evidence or a tournament structure run and witnessed by impartials should ever be entered into Fargorate.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
It might be ok for me. I don’t really care after I get 200 games in. I just want an established rating. I’m sitting at 148 games right now, mainly from OLD league matches back way before BCA adopted FargoRate. I had no idea what FargoRate even was back then, much less that my match results were being reported.

I mostly play people who are better than me for the streamed matches. Guys from around 650 all the way to 795. Best I’ve done is 9-5 win over a 730 player. Worst I’ve done is 10-0 loss to the 795 player. Last time I played the 795 guy I lost 11-5 so..I guess that’s progress? Lol.

At any rate, whether I win or lose, I have to think my starter rating will be closer to what it should be by getting games in against well established players.

If you don't play in events that would report and get you an accurate score why should you care to have one? Everything else is settled on the table.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
If a tournament uses FargoRate to decide handicaps, it should also submit results to FargoRate. Otherwise a player can choose to play poorly in the reported events and well in the unreported events. Sounds like a TD issue.

"I think I'll spend a weekend and go play poorly in a tournament"

Yes I hear that all the time from those darned pool players :rolleyes:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn’t that drive their rating up just to help you lower yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep but not everyone cares how they are ranked, it really can take some time to move the Fargo rating once you have a lot of games in the system. I have been beating some decent players recently, people 20-50 or so points over me, and my Fargo has gone up by a grand total of 2 over past few weeks LOL

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I think I'll spend a weekend and go play poorly in a tournament"

Yes I hear that all the time from those darned pool players :rolleyes:

It may seem funny, but that is exactly what people do say, I have had people ask me to beat them badly and not give them free games so their Fargo does not show games they won against me (say if I play someone much worse, I tend to lighten up on them especially if I know them so they can play some and maybe even win), way too many people are just worried about keeping their handicap low. We had a place that was going to do a Fargo based tournament for B+ level players with a large $ added, and there were good players talking about how they can lower their scores to get in it. When it comes down to it, most pool players just want to win however they can, not just due to playing better than the other guy and handicaps allow just that.

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't play in events that would report and get you an accurate score why should you care to have one? Everything else is settled on the table.

Very good question. I don’t know. :lol:

It’s not that I never get out and play, it’s just rare. Not having an established rating has never worked against me. It did work in my favor once. I was traveling and played in a tournament that used Fargo ratings to handicap, but didn’t report the results to FargoRate. :scratchhead:I think my preliminary rating was around 570 at the time. Got myself for $20 in the Calcutta and won the tournament.

I guess I just want my rating to be legit, no matter what it ends up being. That’s all.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just looked out of curiosity.

795 is the 37th ranked player in the world, and 4th ranked in the US...

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good question. I don’t know. :lol:

It’s not that I never get out and play, it’s just rare. Not having an established rating has never worked against me. It did work in my favor once. I was traveling and played in a tournament that used Fargo ratings to handicap, but didn’t report the results to FargoRate. :scratchhead:I think my preliminary rating was around 570 at the time. Got myself for $20 in the Calcutta and won the tournament.

I guess I just want my rating to be legit, no matter what it ends up being. That’s all.

This. My rating jumped 100 points when I had about 100 games. A lot of people were telling me - that's ridiculous, that's crazy, aren't you mad? Nope, if that's what the number says then that's what the number says. I'm an accountant so I tend to trust the numbers.

My issue with this situation is there is going to be an appearance of conflict of interest and I'm not sure how that can ever go away. It's going to take a lot of work for people to trust the system if this happens.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This. My rating jumped 100 points when I had about 100 games. A lot of people were telling me - that's ridiculous, that's crazy, aren't you mad? Nope, if that's what the number says then that's what the number says. I'm an accountant so I tend to trust the numbers.

My issue with this situation is there is going to be an appearance of conflict of interest and I'm not sure how that can ever go away. It's going to take a lot of work for people to trust the system if this happens.

I can see that. I think it’s cool for people like me who just want to get some games in, that live in an area where almost nothing reports to FargoRate. But I can definitely see people using this as some kind of opportunity to game the system. And if that’s allowed to happen, trust in the system across the board could be greatly diminished. If that happens, FargoRate may never be the same again. That’s why I’m really interested in what the restrictions and criteria for reporting these matches will be.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just downloaded the Salotto app. So far, looks like you have to have 10 matches recorded in the Salotto system before you are eligible to submit matches to FargoRate. Also, it looks like both players have to be Salotto users, your home pool room address has to be put in, and some sort of confirmation has to happen between players on the app. That’s just from a glance. There may be more.

I wonder if the address for the match has to be a pool room. When I saw you need 10 matches I thought I would just invite some buddies over to my house and play some matches to get the 10, but that may not be an option.

Edit: Location does not have to be the pool room.

Last edited: