shaft doesn't fit pin

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
first, let me say i'm an idiot. i went to SBE thinking of buying a Tiger shaft without taking my butt. i know it's 3/8-10, so that's what i bought. when i get home and try it, it won't tighten all the way. my question is can a cue repairman get it to fit?

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few possibilities:

1. Your cue isn't actually 3/8-10, and therefore the 3/8-10 shaft doesn't fit properly. I'm sure you know what pin your cue has, but I include this possibility because... well... it's possible.

2. Your cue is 3/8-10. The shaft you bought is mislabeled "3/8-10", but is actually a Radial shaft or some other threading.

3. The threaded hole in the shaft just isn't deep enough to accommodate your cue's pin.

If #1 or #2 are true, you need a shaft with the correct threading.

If #3 is true, a cuesmith should easily be able to bore and thread the shaft a little deeper.

Good luck!

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Could be a 3/8-10F...if your pin doesn't look like the thread of a normal bolt I vote for this option. In this case just take it to a repair guy and have him open the minor diameter to fit.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the Tiger shafts have a phenolic insert. It might need to be tapped again as the phenolic is sometimes tight on certain pins. Any cue repairman or cue maker can do. To bad you are not in my area as I would do for free.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8 10

Should be an easy fix even an old grunt like me can do it :) if you happen to be coming my way :)

Mario

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
first, let me say i'm an idiot. i went to SBE thinking of buying a Tiger shaft without taking my butt. i know it's 3/8-10, so that's what i bought. when i get home and try it, it won't tighten all the way. my question is can a cue repairman get it to fit?

What make is your butt? How far down does the shaft go before getting too tight? If you can, take a picture of your joint pin and post it that will make it easier to help. Lots of these issues can be fixed quickly, just gotta know all the facts.
Any quality repair guy / cue builder can make this work for you.
HTH,
Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Another bastard pin ?

Why don't we eliminate 3/8 11 with less than .312 minor now so this sort of thing is minimized ?

Your shaft needs to be re-tapped or re-bored to fit your joint screw.

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i live in dover delaware and found out that there is a cue guy here. East Coast Cues
302-270-8923. his name is Bill. anyway, took my shaft and butt over and he fixed me up for what i thought was a reasonable $10. it was really weird, he had a 3/8-10 shaft that went right on. he is a small cuemaker, but i saw the cue he uses, made by him, and i thought it was quality. anyway, if you are in the tri-state area and need work done, i think he's worth a look see, :D

RBC

Deceased
If it gets close, but just gets too tight, try some wax on the joint screw.

It will amaze you at how well it can work. I've had shafts that actually squeaked and tried to stick on the pin they were so tight, but after putting a little wax on the screw and threading them on and off a couple of times, they fit like they were made together.

Your cue could also be 3/8-11 and not 3/8-10. A normal 10 tpi shaft on an 11 tpi pin will go on a little way, but just gets tighter and tighter.

Good luck!

Royce

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this exact problem with a Katana shaft and a 3/8x10 FB pin.
The phenolic insert is really, really tight and there is slight difference in the thread of a Flat Bottom pin and a regular 3/8x10
The only solution was to tap the threads with a tap made for the flat bottom style pin.
As the others here say: make sure that the shaft really is 3/8x10 and that the pin is not 3/8x11.

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this exact problem with a Katana shaft and a 3/8x10 FB pin.
The phenolic insert is really, really tight and there is slight difference in the thread of a Flat Bottom pin and a regular 3/8x10
The only solution was to tap the threads with a tap made for the flat bottom style pin.
As the others here say: make sure that the shaft really is 3/8x10 and that the pin is not 3/8x11.

The tap for the regular 3/8x10 and the 308 flat pin is the same tap, there is no difference.