Mosconi team without Shane

Mcdermott1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people may initially think this would be the craziest idea ever. And as long as Mark Wilson is the coach of the USA, this would never be possible.

What I would propose is for next years team to consist of Johnny Archer, Rodney Morris, Justin Bergman, Skyler Woodward and Oscar Dominguez. What would everybody think of that team?

Johnny Archer may not be the same exact player that he was in the early 90's, but he is still one of the best. And I can guarantee that he would not choke like some of the US players have in recent years.

Shane is obviously the best individual player in the US and one of the best in the world. But this is a team event. He has proven time after time that he cannot perform on a consistent basis in the Mosconi Cup. I think a similar comparison would be made with Tiger Woods in golf. He was the best individual player in the world for many years, but he did not perform as well in a team atmosphere.

This may be crazy to think, but what would the US have to lose. And I don't think many people would disagree with replacing Mike Dechaine with Oscar. Let's face it, Mike cannot win even a single Mosconi match.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people may initially think this would be the craziest idea ever. And as long as Mark Wilson is the coach of the USA, this would never be possible.

What I would propose is for next years team to consist of Johnny Archer, Rodney Morris, Justin Bergman, Skyler Woodward and Oscar Dominguez. What would everybody think of that team?

Johnny Archer may not be the same exact player that he was in the early 90's, but he is still one of the best. And I can guarantee that he would not choke like some of the US players have in recent years.

Shane is obviously the best individual player in the US and one of the best in the world. But this is a team event. He has proven time after time that he cannot perform on a consistent basis in the Mosconi Cup. I think a similar comparison would be made with Tiger Woods in golf. He was the best individual player in the world for many years, but he did not perform as well in a team atmosphere.

This may be crazy to think, but what would the US have to lose. And I don't think many people would disagree with replacing Mike Dechaine with Oscar. Let's face it, Mike cannot win even a single Mosconi match. He hasn't historically shot as poorly as Shane, but he still cannot win a match.

Leave his ass home. Looks like he's on the way to the dentist.

PoolChump

Banned

This may be crazy to think, but what would the US have to lose. And I don't think many people would disagree with replacing Mike Dechaine with Oscar. Let's face it, Mike cannot win even a single Mosconi match.

I agree. Oscar should be playing. :confused:

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need to concentrate on players that we can send to the cup in the upcoming years. Leave Shane on the team as a playing co-captain and send a team full of young guns. Even if they lose the next couple of years, it puts them in a better chance to bring the cup home in a few years and for consecutive years. I like the idea of SVB, Bergman, Woodard, Hall, and Roberts.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ridiculous to exclude the best player, by far, in North America and one of the top 3 in the world. And by the way Mike beat Ralf Souquet (s) in the Mosconi cup in his first appearance.
There is not a player on either team that can stay with Shane.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridiculous to exclude the best player, by far, in North America and one of the top 3 in the world. And by the way Mike beat Ralf Souquet (s) in the Mosconi cup in his first appearance.
There is not a player on either team that can stay with Shane.

He has a losing record (in singles and in doubles) at the Mosconi cup doesn't he?

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need to concentrate on players that we can send to the cup in the upcoming years. Leave Shane on the team as a playing co-captain and send a team full of young guns. Even if they lose the next couple of years, it puts them in a better chance to bring the cup home in a few years and for consecutive years. I like the idea of SVB, Bergman, Woodard, Hall, and Roberts.

its unfair to leave shane off as the best player all year and just cause he dogs it every time here

what people maybe feel to realize is shane is a terrible coach/instructor..has anyone seen his dvd?? its awful he breaks the balls and then says "so i am going to run out from here" like sweet he cant articulate how he plays the game or strategy so if he not playing well then dont see what he can contribute except frustration

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its unfair to leave shane off as the best player all year and just cause he dogs it every time here

what people maybe feel to realize is shane is a terrible coach/instructor..has anyone seen his dvd?? its awful he breaks the balls and then says "so i am going to run out from here" like sweet he cant articulate how he plays the game or strategy so if he not playing well then dont see what he can contribute except frustration
Who said anything about leaving Shane off? Someone else may have, but I didn't.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may not be ridiculous?

And it is still ridiculous

SVB is the best American player by far and soon to go down as the best American player in the history of the game.

Shane IS NOT A TEAM PLAYER!!! Shane is a great guy and a great ambassador of the game, but he is a individual player by nature. Shane has grown up with a hearing disorder that would naturally invoke some level of introverting. He also grew up playing by himself in a area the country that wouldn't be considered the most populated.

Maybe he stays on the team, but he needs a spark..., have Rodney Morris coach add Josh Robert and Justin Bergman, their close in age, add Sky and Bill Thorpe, their close in age and let SVB do his individual thing.

P.S. Lets drop the points thing and go with fan vote. Let the fans pick the players!!!

jmarcum1984

Registered
I like the idea of playing co-captain simply because he earns that respect by the way he wins all year long. His record at Mosconi says it would be better to replace him with maybe Johnny Archer for the experience. I think rodney also shows a record of missing some shots and key times, and I woud be good with Domingues in his place.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have no clue. Tiger Woods started "failing to perform" when he got busted for not being able to keep his dick in his pants. It had NOTHING to do with his overall ability being compromised, or playing in a team event. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think a similar comparison would be made with Tiger Woods in golf. He was the best individual player in the world for many years, but he did not perform as well in a team atmosphere.

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have no clue. Tiger Woods started "failing to perform" when he got busted for not being able to keep his dick in his pants. It had NOTHING to do with his overall ability being compromised, or playing in a team event. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Eldrick was underwhelming at the Ryder Cup long before he got caught cheating.

His career record is 13W, 17L and 3H.

1997 - 1.5 pts in 5 matches
1999 - 2.0/5
2002 - 2.5/5
2004 - 2.0/5
2006 - 3.0/5
2010 - 3.0/4
2012 - 0.5/4

Foursomes record - 4-8-1; fourballs - 5-8-0; singles - 4-1-2

The infidelity scandal blew up in 2009, but I'm sure he was philandering before that. Still, his pre-marriage record is only a paltry 5W, 8L and 2H.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Take the top five qualifiers and five captains picks. Lock them in a room for two weeks playing nothing but the Cup format. The five guys who demonstrate they want to be a part of a team the most and who can perform in the cup format are who gets to go.

No one should be considered a lock to go no matter who they are. Finishing top five in points guarantees you a spot at training camp. Want that cup money then you have to perform under the cup format and in a team environment.

The cup format and pressure is a different animal. The Euro's are not playing spectacular pool. They rarely do. They do whats needed to win in this format. Execute under pressure, manage mistakes and buy in to the team dynamic.