Philosophy for Improvement

MTHEORYSPORTS

MTheoryBilliardsDivision
https://youtu.be/HrlG4fcvMx8
Just a simple video on what M Theory is all about. This information is opinion. The personal philosophy I use has helped me improve in billiards and life in general so I wanted to share. This is a beautiful game that can bring joy and growth to many people.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing.

The mental side of pool is every bit as important as the stroke, yet because it isn't visible and you can't see how other players think it's importance is perpetually underestimated. Most of my improvement as a player has been through improved outlooks. Some of this is direct by having a more positive attitude and managing ego and expectations which allows me to deliver more of my game at the table. Some of this is indirect as keeping the right outlook towards mistakes and imperfections can inspire me to develop my game on the table.

We all have positive thoughts and negative thoughts. We perform better when thinking positively, yet there are many situations where negative thoughts and emotions come into our game. We have to acknowledge that and work on it as seriously as we work on our cue ball.

Any time you are experiencing negative emotions (such as frustration, anxiety, self loathing, etc.), that is a sign you are looking at something wrong. You won't have much fun, and you won't perform that well. My approach is to understand where those negative feelings are coming from, then scripting out and practicing a different thought pattern that will be more effective.

For example, in this video he used a situation in which he was poor at combinations. One train of thought is a negative pattern leading to "I am no good at these" which could lead to a path of under-performance, negativity, lower self image, and loss in motivation. Instead he has practiced another thought pattern of a learning outlook. He senses the negativity, finds the thoughts associated (you are no good at these), then deliberately replaces those thoughts with more positive and constructive thoughts (you have an opportunity to grow in this area, you aren't going to get worse if you practice these so what are you afraid of, etc.).

I myself have literally spent thousands of hours thinking, talking, and journaling about situations like these. Preparation for competition involves me visualizing situations in which negative thoughts would trigger. I have written out in detail exactly what thoughts I'll find myself thinking, how I'll feel. Then I'll journal about where those thoughts come from, why they are so distressing to me. Next I'll script out some more effective thoughts I'd like to think in those situations instead. At times I've even put these on flash cards, negative trigger on the front, re-framed thoughts on the back. When practicing at home I'll picture myself at the tournament, draw a flash card, and imagine myself feeling that specific fear or doubt, and thinking those negative thoughts. Then I'll practice the response in which I counter those thoughts with my true beliefs, then by letting go of everything and turning back to the shot at hand with feelings of calm joy and focus in the present. What's amazing is that after years of practice, those positive thoughts actually become who I am. I'm not faking it, the negative beliefs become weak, shadowy memories, and I actually identify with the positive person I've sculpted.

NOTE: The point of this is not to be thinking at the table or during the shot. This is not a superficial pep talk. The point is to use a positive thought to counter the negative thought so you can let it go, then refocus on the here and now and allow yourself to play the game as well as you can in the moment, unencumbered by negative energy.

And, as the original poster said, this is more than just pool. Pool is a game that allows us to develop competence and learn the language of success. These skills and attitudes apply towards life as well. Pool has been spiritual to me in some ways, but when praying in church or meditating in a yoga center you don't really know how pure your mind is. With pool you get direct feedback from results on the table as to whether or not your mindset is correct. How amazing is that? It's almost like God answers back, metaphorically speaking of course.

In the end I think more pool players should take the mental game much, much, much more seriously, then put in a lot of work as opposed to just arming themselves with a few cliches and going back to work on hitting shots. I think they could find more success long term, and more importantly more joy in each moment spent with this amazing game.

Great video and post OP.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense brother but that's just a tad too much pseudo new age mind-speak for me. I've never had any talks to myself during play that are anything like this. If it appeals to you/others well, rock on. Just my $.02 here, nothing more.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
None taken

No offense taken. I understand most people just try to shoot balls in the hole. If it’s working for you and you’re satisfied with your level of play and trajectory then don’t change your approach.

One clarification for me, I don’t really think about much at the table. I do my work off the table. More than a few thoughts, I’ve developed a totally different outlook about myself and competition, brick by brick, that has allowed me to deliver more of my game in situations that used to break me down. I am happy with my results and trajectory and will continue down the path that allowed me to overcome pressures and doubts that used to hold me back.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay in action, if it’s worth doing it’s worth doing for $. Places a value on improving and winning. Less talk, less psychology and more action. This applies to golf, bowling etc.

Best of luck
Fatboy

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Curious

One question I’m curious about for those who say this is overthinking things. Do you think mental game is unimportant in pool? Or do you think the best strategy to a great mental attitude is to not think about it so as to not overcomplicate it?

If you asked SVB or Filler or Chang about mental game, do you think they would shrug and say they shoot balls in the hole, or do you think they’d be able to talk about the pitfalls that can come up on the road and the lessons they’ve learned about how to navigate through them?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One question I’m curious about for those who say this is overthinking things. Do you think mental game is unimportant in pool? Or do you think the best strategy to a great mental attitude is to not think about it so as to not overcomplicate it?

If you asked SVB or Filler or Chang about mental game, do you think they would shrug and say they shoot balls in the hole, or do you think they’d be able to talk about the pitfalls that can come up on the road and the lessons they’ve learned about how to navigate through them?

Of course the mental side is not of 0 importance at any level, but I think as skill level goes down, the importance of the mental side follows.

Iow, very important for top pros and hardly at all for beginners.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed

Of course the mental side is not of 0 importance at any level, but I think as skill level goes down, the importance of the mental side follows.

Iow, very important for top pros and hardly at all for beginners.

Yes, this is very sensible. The physical game limits your ability. The mental game ties to how much of your potential you deliver in battle. Developing skills is paramount. At some point if you see yourself limited not by skills, but rather by delivering those skills in meaningful situations, it is time to look beyond the physical.

MTHEORYSPORTS

MTheoryBilliardsDivision
Thanks for the input

As always, I appreciate all responses! This is definitely not meant to be used during competition....tin man covered it very well. This isn’t necessarily for getting better at gambling or action; some people are using activities to help promote a healthy mental lifestyle. I will have more videos in the future on more technical and fundamental information as well. Thanks again!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never believed in any of the mental,easter philosophy stuff

Still don't
sounds far out to me

post hoc ergo proctor hoc makes a better explanation in case
it appears to work

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have never believed in any of the mental,easter philosophy stuff

Still don't
sounds far out to me

post hoc ergo proctor hoc makes a better explanation in case
it appears to work
"propter", not "proctor".

And aren't you the guy who believes in magic cue ball draw cues?
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense brother but that's just a tad too much pseudo new age mind-speak for me. I've never had any talks to myself during play that are anything like this. If it appeals to you/others well, rock on. Just my $.02 here, nothing more.

I haven't watched the video
but this post reminds me that
there is much happening in our brain
we're not completely cognizant/aware of
I think that what's happening inside of us
is so complex, that we can't see it all
in the moment
in fact
we might never see it in the first place!
but this does not mean that things aren't happening

this thread, and others like it,
attempt to reveal, and discuss
ideas, and processes
that are happening
whether we discuss them
or not

I think
therefore I post
ommm:p

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people (myself included) are prone to get stuck in a negative thought cycle, I think. Reasons for that will be different for each person, but the result is the same: you're holding yourself back from achieving what you're capable of. Or even something simple like enjoying what you're doing!

I have experienced positive results with becoming aware of these negative thoughts and replacing them with something constructive and also motivating yourself to be in the moment (focusing on the task of shooting the shot instead of mulling on what-if scenarios or dwelling on past moments). So I believe there is a lot of truth to what is said in the video.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Biggest relatively "overnight" jump in my game came when I was around 22, noticed negative thinking, and decided to brainwash myself with nothing but purely positive thoughts anywhere near a pool table.

This is when I learned that, playing against a "certain level of poolplayer" (hindsight being 20/20, somewhere around the 550 Fargorate speed..) that, if I stopped making mistakes, I can blank them from any point in the set, by simply getting out when I am supposed to, and playing good safes. I.e., give them zero easy starts.

This freed up my mind to no longer feel any pressure, even when my opponent got up a few games.

The funny thing about this is.... It applies equally to players above that Fargorate range, depending on your skill level. James Davis "Bastrop" Sr. Once had me down something like 8-2 in a barbox 9 ball tourney... I started breaking good, played well and took every opportunity, and the only reason I lost that set 9-8, was because I played a lockup frozen safe on a ball, and it accidentally banked two rails in the side off another ball.

Them's the breaks. Sometimes a positive outlook don't stop Lady Luck. 😁

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing.

The mental side of pool is every bit as important as the stroke, yet because it isn't visible and you can't see how other players think it's importance is perpetually underestimated. Most of my improvement as a player has been through improved outlooks. Some of this is direct by having a more positive attitude and managing ego and expectations which allows me to deliver more of my game at the table. Some of this is indirect as keeping the right outlook towards mistakes and imperfections can inspire me to develop my game on the table.

We all have positive thoughts and negative thoughts. We perform better when thinking positively, yet there are many situations where negative thoughts and emotions come into our game. We have to acknowledge that and work on it as seriously as we work on our cue ball.

Any time you are experiencing negative emotions (such as frustration, anxiety, self loathing, etc.), that is a sign you are looking at something wrong. You won't have much fun, and you won't perform that well. My approach is to understand where those negative feelings are coming from, then scripting out and practicing a different thought pattern that will be more effective.

For example, in this video he used a situation in which he was poor at combinations. One train of thought is a negative pattern leading to "I am no good at these" which could lead to a path of under-performance, negativity, lower self image, and loss in motivation. Instead he has practiced another thought pattern of a learning outlook. He senses the negativity, finds the thoughts associated (you are no good at these), then deliberately replaces those thoughts with more positive and constructive thoughts (you have an opportunity to grow in this area, you aren't going to get worse if you practice these so what are you afraid of, etc.).

I myself have literally spent thousands of hours thinking, talking, and journaling about situations like these. Preparation for competition involves me visualizing situations in which negative thoughts would trigger. I have written out in detail exactly what thoughts I'll find myself thinking, how I'll feel. Then I'll journal about where those thoughts come from, why they are so distressing to me. Next I'll script out some more effective thoughts I'd like to think in those situations instead. At times I've even put these on flash cards, negative trigger on the front, re-framed thoughts on the back. When practicing at home I'll picture myself at the tournament, draw a flash card, and imagine myself feeling that specific fear or doubt, and thinking those negative thoughts. Then I'll practice the response in which I counter those thoughts with my true beliefs, then by letting go of everything and turning back to the shot at hand with feelings of calm joy and focus in the present. What's amazing is that after years of practice, those positive thoughts actually become who I am. I'm not faking it, the negative beliefs become weak, shadowy memories, and I actually identify with the positive person I've sculpted.

NOTE: The point of this is not to be thinking at the table or during the shot. This is not a superficial pep talk. The point is to use a positive thought to counter the negative thought so you can let it go, then refocus on the here and now and allow yourself to play the game as well as you can in the moment, unencumbered by negative energy.

And, as the original poster said, this is more than just pool. Pool is a game that allows us to develop competence and learn the language of success. These skills and attitudes apply towards life as well. Pool has been spiritual to me in some ways, but when praying in church or meditating in a yoga center you don't really know how pure your mind is. With pool you get direct feedback from results on the table as to whether or not your mindset is correct. How amazing is that? It's almost like God answers back, metaphorically speaking of course.

In the end I think more pool players should take the mental game much, much, much more seriously, then put in a lot of work as opposed to just arming themselves with a few cliches and going back to work on hitting shots. I think they could find more success long term, and more importantly more joy in each moment spent with this amazing game.

Great video and post OP.

Must spread rep around first. Great post. I have been working hard on the mental side of the game lately. Long ways to go but hopefully one day I will play more consistently the speed I am capable of.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor Lowry,s Mental System is out and a great system for understanding the conscious and unconscious side of the brain during play. How it works and the difference between practice and play.