Opinions Regarding Offering Advice To Young Players?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our pool room is located just outside a college town In which a number of students have started a pool club the past 3-4 years. Although there is a small pool room on campus In which they get free play (included in their tuition), they often prefer playing in our room, even though we’re located 8 miles from campus. We give all pool club members 50% off on their hourly rates, to give the more serious players added incentive to come here more often than the one night a week 10-15 of them meet here to play.

I would generally describe it as a club that for the majority of their members places emphasis on the social / fun aspect of playing as opposed to having any real desire to put in the work to improve their games, with the exception of a few of the male players who have become hooked on the game and would at least appear to me that they’d really like to improve, but don’t really know how.

As a 63 year old owner / proprietor of the room, I try to make the effort to play with the more serious ones whenever I can. I play them as tough as if I was playing a tournament match, in hopes of teaching them the right way to play the game. My question is, particularly in regards to the ones that clearly have the most interest and the most future potential to become good players - when I see blatant faulty fundamentals / technique that they desperately need to change to give them the best chance to improve, I really want to tell them, but should I?

Ideally I’d hope they’d ask me for help / suggestions, but I’m just torn between whether I should wait for that to happen, or if it doesn’t, offer it anyway?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about put signs around the room “free group lesson Xyz date and time”. They will see it and show up I think.

My local room did this. A real players room. 30 people showed up, many young and beginner players.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Unsolicited coaching is a no no.

My wife used to make men pay when they offered her advice and coaching. So funny watching bar patrons telling her how to play, uhh because they are MEN. Her come back would be, “let’s play some for $20.”

If the young men are truly looking to become the best they can be on the table they will indeed gravitate to the players they admire and respect.

lawlist

Registered
The time to give advice, when not being specifically asked for advice, is while playing the other person. Perhaps that person is stumped on what to do in a straight pool shot and you see a viable shot; or, the person makes an error and when the rack is finished, you set up the same shot and show that person a better way to do that in the future. If the person you tried to help is not receptive, then do not offer any more advice in the future to that person.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would shy away from giving advice to anyone unless they ask for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Our pool room is located just outside a college town In which a number of students have started a pool club the past 3-4 years. Although there is a small pool room on campus In which they get free play (included in their tuition), they often prefer playing in our room, even though we’re located 8 miles from campus. We give all pool club members 50% off on their hourly rates, to give the more serious players added incentive to come here more often than the one night a week 10-15 of them meet here to play.

I would generally describe it as a club that for the majority of their members places emphasis on the social / fun aspect of playing as opposed to having any real desire to put in the work to improve their games, with the exception of a few of the male players who have become hooked on the game and would at least appear to me that they’d really like to improve, but don’t really know how.

As a 63 year old owner / proprietor of the room, I try to make the effort to play with the more serious ones whenever I can. I play them as tough as if I was playing a tournament match, in hopes of teaching them the right way to play the game. My question is, particularly in regards to the ones that clearly have the most interest and the most future potential to become good players - when I see blatant faulty fundamentals / technique that they desperately need to change to give them the best chance to improve, I really want to tell them, but should I?

Ideally I’d hope they’d ask me for help / suggestions, but I’m just torn between whether I should wait for that to happen, or if it doesn’t, offer it anyway?

Tell them you give lessons if someone is interested. Unless they have the desire and have a little skin in the game anything offered to them won't stick or be
regarded as valid. You don't have to charge much because they play with you but they need to go in knowing you are there for expert advice.

The last two lessons I gave almost cured me of ever doing it again. One guy looked at me crazy when I asked him "how often he practiced" like I was insane.
When I found his fundamental flaw "which was blatantly wrong" he acted like I was wrong.

The other looked good at the table but crushed the balls and I told him the best thing he cold do was try to tone his stroke down and he said "what do you mean?" I told
him "you hit the balls too hard, you're crushing these shots" and he looked right at me and said "that's just how I do." Both paid me and I still wonder why. They knew it all.

Be careful is about all I can say.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If I have any, I offer up the opportunity for advice to every player I match up with. Whether they initially asked for or not... How is someone who does not know your proficiency in the game going to know to ask you specifically for suggestions, for something random you noticed...?

I'm not saying I force feed them my point of view. Just simply say..., "Hey would you like some advice on 'xxxxx'...." If they say no, then that's that. Don't force it down their throats. Let them decide if they wold like to hear an apposing point of view, and if they have the interest in improving their games.

No harm no foul.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
read through all the aiming system books

and make sure you tell the opponent which aiming system you use because that will start the mental game.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there are many ways to offer free advice in a non confrontational way. If I were just starting out and the room owner wanted to help my game I'd welcome the chance. You've already established that these are players who are working on their game.

Just tell the guy you've been watching him shoot and he's got a lot of potential but you noticed something that might be holding him back. How can I guy not then say, "Oh yeah? What's that?" After you tell him if he's not impressed then leave him alone. He might also appreciate it and pick your brain some more."

I see nothing wrong with that, particularly with you being the room owner.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t advertise you will offer instruction unless you want to do it for every person that visits your establishment.
Your time is money so don’t just giving it away for free. Instead, think this as “Paying It Forward” and donating time.

So you need to be selective which of these individuals you will donate time to helping become a better, stronger pool player.
You cannot teach someone to have a good attitude. That’s entirely on them but those that do, well, they are the teachable ones.

The first thing you ask any young player is how good do you want to become at pool? Do you actually have aspirations or goals?
If they do not have any or don’t really have an answer to your question that makes sense, don’t attempt to offer them any opinion.
Instead, tell them to think about it & after they come up with an answer, to let you know what it is. They might ask you why?
Just tell them you saw something in the way they played that reminded you of someone & that person became very good.

If any of them wants to dedicate time to practicing, not playing and they must understand & respect there’s a difference, go for it.
But never more than 3-4 people individually or as a group. The best is 1 on 1 when time allows but the players must be serious.
It’s fine they know they’re in an exclusive fraternity with a few others. This way they can practice and compete with one another.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well if they ask for advise show them a couple of things to do that will make them better. If they ask again, make them prove they can do what you showed them the first time.

I hate people who say show me how to do a draw shot, then a week later it is another question, but no effect was put into accomplishing the FIRST SHOW ME.

After that School is Closed.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
How about put signs around the room “free group lesson Xyz date and time”. They will see it and show up I think.

My local room did this. A real players room. 30 people showed up, many young and beginner players.

Think that is a positive idea, hope it works out, maybe you will help get some regulars players.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they respect you they will listen to you, start with what they need to address first and explain how it will upgrade their game/progress (pocketing percentage ect.) . If they are receptive towards that then move on to the next thing that will add more to their arsenal. Pick out a drill that will show their pocketing ability and do a before/after to more clearly illustrate the effects.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never offer advice unless asked.

We hold free sessions for beginners. Best to let them know who you are and feel free to ask anything, anytime.

My wife is too polite to say anything but she hates unsolicited advice. She enjoys the social aspect of the game. She’s not a bad player but zero interest in winning or losing.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
many feel someone offering advice are really saying let me show you how much better i am than you.
and most dont want your advice, they are enjoying themselves as is.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think I have discovered the problems with the game and the younger generation.

A: Experienced players for some reason think it's bad to offer advice.
B: The notion that advice and a lesson are the same thing.
C: The egos in pool in general.

I have have no one ever have an issue when I say "Would you like some advice". In fact the response is quite the opposite.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
unsolicited advice usually falls on deaf ears in my experience
your results may vary

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
unsolicited advice usually falls on deaf ears in my experience
your results may vary

Yes, I completely agree... This is why I preface the conversation with "Hey..., are you interested in some advice/insight into something I noticed you doing..."...blah blah blah.

Blurting out..., "You need to do this if you hope to get any better", or "You need to stop swinging your cue like a baseball bat", probably solicits the reactions most are accustomed to in this thread.

I have never witnessed anyone who is actually interested in improving their game do anything other welcome advice. I'm really starting to think it's the approach used during the offer that's the problem here.

Based on my own experience, and I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be the same for anyone else that plays at a higher than average level, lower end "players" tend to be intimidated by the top tier. They struggle with the idea of "cold calling" the elite into offering advice. Maybe I'm still young enough to still remember being in awe of the top players in my area, and convincing myself that they wouldn't give me the time of day if they were wearing two wrist watches. I make it a point to offer advice. Even to people I'm not playing.

Maybe a regional thing...?