Which Way To Play This Shot?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/0eccb.png

Its a fairly thin cut on the 5B. And you need to come across the table for the 6B. The side pocket is into play. If you just try and go straight across you flirt with the danger of scratching into the side pocket. Plus you cant go forward because the 8B blocks your path to the 6B.

So, how do you get the CB back across the table and come long past the side pocket to take it out of play? Its a tough shot to hit with low since its fairly thin. Do you just hit this shot with alot of left english then?

I'm curious how people play this because I have always struggled with this type of shot.

r/DCP

And once again - PLEASE, NO STUPID COMMENTS FROM CERTAIN POSTERS.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think what you're really asking (or should be) is "How do I learn to control the CB on this kind of shot?"

The answer, of course, is practice. Shoot it with all kinds of spin and none until you're confident of the outcomes.

You might be surprised at how much easier it becomes to choose where you want it to go.

pj
chgo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on your skill level.
high skill level hit the 5 with a bit of low left and come across the table between the side pocket and the 7 assuming the 6 go's by the 8.
Looking at your diagram there appears to be a lot of room between the side pocket and the 7.
The cue ball will come off the rail on an angle and it looks like a 1 1/2 diamonds of room,thats a lot.

lower skill level just feather the 5 in with high English and come across the table and hope you dont get tied up by the 8.

Always keep in mind that on very hard position shots sometimes the best course of action is just get close to the next ball and play a safe.
I'm not an instructor but this looked like a fun one to give my opinion.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... lower skill level just feather the 5 in with high English and come across the table and hope you dont get tied up by the 8.
Yup. It looks to me like the cue ball will hit the 8 if you just roll it without side spin. There's a good chance the 8 will stop the cue ball for a good shot. Put the effort into aiming and not hitting too hard.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. It looks to me like the cue ball will hit the 8 if you just roll it without side spin. There's a good chance the 8 will stop the cue ball for a good shot. Put the effort into aiming and not hitting too hard.

It's really hard to be exact looking at a diagram.
In person is so much easier.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you need to learn how to go straight across and backward by 1/2 to 1 diamond up to 3 diamonds on command
same for forward
learn what tip placement and stroke is necessary to do it
that means go to the table and practice

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot like this makes an easy drill. The most obvious way, angle back one rail should be a no brainer after a few minutes practice. Obviously, drill the other ways as well.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would shoot the 5 with just a little left English for position to shoot the 6 in the lower right pocket. Using any low English with left will make the shot more difficult due to cue ball curve. Also using any low English will make you shoot harder than needed for position. It is a good shot to practice.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more thing I just saw, you can go forward 3 cushions and the 8 looks to be sitting just right for a billiard; stopping the cueball in line for the 6 down table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not an instructor.... I tried the shot cold today. 3 attempts at each way suggested in this thread, all attempts shown. I wanted to try it for a while, but had crap on my pool table the past month I just cleaned off:)

IMO after trying the shot, max low outside is the way to play it. As always, slight variations in ball placement can change the shot a lot. I tried my best to match DCP's diagram.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not an instructor.... I tried the shot cold today. 3 attempts at each way suggested in this thread, all attempts shown. I wanted to try it for a while, but had crap on my pool table the past month I just cleaned off:)

IMO after trying the shot, max low outside is the way to play it. As always, slight variations in ball placement can change the shot a lot. I tried my best to match DCP's diagram.
Low outside is the shot on the 5 but you were coming a little too close to the side pocket for my liking. Try it lower and with more outside. You don't need much speed at all because the 5 is so close to the rail. If you hit the 7, that's okay too.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a kind of reference system for shots like this using the diamonds. As Bob said, this shot with just follow should hit the 8 ball. I'd even go on to say it should hit the top of the 8 ball facing the 6. The object ball is not as critical as you might think (distance from rail) as long as the shot angle is maintained. In your three follow shots the first two were hit fat and sent the cue ball higher than it should have gone. The last shot was too thin and that's where you ran into the 8 pretty full. With a clean shot with follow and even a whisper of outside you can just miss the 8 and even bump it out from the rail for a shot on the 6. This is very helpful in straight pool where bumping balls into break shot position is important. Of course using more outside english gives you a larger safety margin for position play above the side pocket but does complicate the shot unless you are accustomed to hitting rail shots this way.