Mr 600

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
IMO, if its to late for John, well, Mosconi was a has been 60+ years ago.

We all know Willie was no has been just weeks, months, years....hell....even DECADES after his 526 run.....so:

I'm pretty sure John has plenty of time.

Sure, the sooner, the better but, 65 years is a hell of a lot longer than a year or so.

Come on folks, is everyone here a "gotta have it now" type?

I'm willing to wait. I have a feeling we wont be disappointed.

Just pretend the 526 still stands and then watch the vid when it does come out.

<<<<<<<< don't understand all the complaints.

Willie Mosconi was a household name before his run, to pool players and non-pool players alike. I, personally, don't see his run as being among his greatest achievements and I seriously doubt that (if DVDs had been around back then) a DVD of his run would have been a big seller in his or any other era, but name recognition might have made it possible. Perhaps a slogan "watch the greatest pool player ever on his greatest ever day" might have enticed a few non-enthusiasts. Guess we'll never know.

The straight pool era is 35 years in the rear view mirror now. Neither the game of 14.1 nor John Schmidt's name are well known. Not John's fault. He made the grade with his historic run, but did so in a game rarely played anymore.

I'd really like to be wrong here, and hope that John makes a wad of money from this. Time will tell. I agree that the serious diehard fans should be patient, and if that's the only market John hopes to reach, the delay isn't doing any real damage, but the boost he got in name recognition when his run was reported in the NY Times is wearing off a little every day.

Mosconi never had the problem of fading name recognition in his day. Not only was he incredibly well known, but he toured the country year round doing exhibitions in America's poolrooms. He was like a rock band that toured the country to make sure their music was always on people's minds.

Comparing Schmidt to Mosconi is apples and oranges. Two truly phenomenal players with little in common.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi was a household name before his run, to pool players and non-pool players alike. I, personally, don't see his run as being among his greatest achievements and I seriously doubt that (if DVDs had been around back then) a DVD of his run would have been a big seller in his or any other era, but name recognition might have made it possible. Perhaps a slogan "watch the greatest pool player ever on his greatest ever day" might have enticed a few non-enthusiasts. Guess we'll never know.

The straight pool era is 35 years in the rear view mirror now. Neither the game of 14.1 nor John Schmidt's name are well known. Not John's fault. He made the grade with his historic run, but did so in a game rarely played anymore.

I'd really like to be wrong here, and hope that John makes a wad of money from this. Time will tell. I agree that the serious diehard fans should be patient, and if that's the only market John hopes to reach, the delay isn't doing any real damage, but the boost he got in name recognition when his run was reported in the NY Times is wearing off a little every day.

Mosconi never had the problem of fading name recognition in his day. Not only was he incredibly well known, but he toured the country year round doing exhibitions in America's poolrooms. He was like a rock band that toured the country to make sure their music was always on people's minds.

Comparing Schmidt to Mosconi is apples and oranges. Two truly phenomenal players with little in common.

SJM,

Agree completely. I think if John really wanted to capitalize on his accomplishment, he should have started doing 14.1 clinics all over the country. He could have gotten many players interested in improving their games.
I think the longer he waits, less people will show interest. JMHO

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.

Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Good enough for me.

giphy.gif

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every day he doesn't put the run on YouTube he and his sponsors lose more money.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.

Oi!
We're pool players, not computer rocket doctors!

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get the monetary value side of things, but what him and his team should have done was sell the unedit raw cut DVD version literally the same week he broke it. Sell it for $10 as there was a lot of eagerness to see it. After that subsided, go back in, sell an upscaled HD commentary track version of it and do it for $30 to $40.

But no, they want to get accreditation first from the BCA, like their accreditation even matters these days.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get the monetary value side of things, but what him and his team should have done was sell the unedit raw cut DVD version literally the same week he broke it. Sell it for $10 as there was a lot of eagerness to see it. After that subsided, go back in, sell an upscaled HD commentary track version of it and do it for $30 to $40.

But no, they want to get accreditation first from the BCA, like their accreditation even matters these days.

is that what the hold up is?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously no marketing plan was in place and ready to go if and when the successful day came- and now it came and went. ALL of the marketing should have been in place , ready to go, PRIOR to his first day of attempting this record run- why in the world would someone spend all this time trying to achieve this and so little time up front MAKING SURE that everything from a marketing standpoint was in place and ready to go immediately- and his wife states that they wanted to make sure "John is rewarded"- funny way to "make sure of that" after the fact! This makes NO business sense to me at all.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good enough for me.

It’s true, watching someone pocketing make-able/open shots can become rather ‘ho-hum’ after awhile. It’s the breaking/spreading of 44 racks without once ending up thoroughly/hopelessly hooked that ‘I’ want to see!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s true, watching someone pocketing make-able/open shots can become rather ‘ho-hum’ after awhile. It’s the breaking/spreading of 44 racks without once ending up thoroughly/hopelessly hooked that ‘I’ want to see!

Well, to a certain extent this is true, but...

If you’re into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then there’s not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if you’re into it it can be fascinating and in your brain you’re thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

If you’re into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then there’s not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if you’re into it it can be fascinating and in your brain you’re thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

Enthralling is a good word for it. I’m still learning the game but it only takes a few tries to run multiple racks to see the art of it all. There are plenty of open shots IF you break them open well, then there are times where you have to take tough shots based on the layout or slightly missed position etc, developing break balls, secondary breaks.

I have to be in the mood to watch straight pool though to really get into it. I usually have pool on the TV while I’m playing or messing around and that’s fine for 9 ball, see the break and the table’s wide open you can just sort of listen to the commentators and keep up. But for 14.1, and especially if this run ever becomes available, I’ll get in my good chair and watch as if I’m the one playing and it really is enthralling, hypnotic maybe even. Great game.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

I tend to agree, but you actually could just watch a string of shorter runs to see how a player solves problems in a rack....

I think the best part of John's video will be from, say, 450 balls onward, where you know the stress was excruciating…..

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

I don’t understand making a DVD. I haven’t owned a DVD player for about 10 years. I guess my PS4 has one, but I’ve never used it. I’d buy a digital version or pay on Vimeo and the like but not a DVD.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.
You are mostly right. I still think some people will buy it though just to see the feat occur. His accustats 100+ run from 10+ years ago that he commentated on was super cool to see, as was the 400+ he recently put on youtube.

I hardly play 14.1 at all and generally have little interest in it, but just to see something like this happen, it's worth the money to have a piece of pool history.

On a side note... does anyone think there might be something up with the footage? I don't doubt at all that John ran the 626 as he had witnesses, but maybe the camera angle was sloppy or possibly stopped recording and then picked back up later or something, and that is the reason it hasn't been released yet? Has anyone other then John and Pred actually seen the footage yet?

The 434 run he had on youtube wasnt exactly the best production quality, just a camera with a straight on shot at the table that was slightly crooked. If Pred was planning on marketing this, they should have gave John something a bit better to work with. Plus that video has currently been blocked on youtube due to the music copyright that was playing in the background (which could be yet another hurdle that is making the 626 release take so long).

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Not thousands of people... more like dozens.

Naww it would definitely get thousands, if it were free on YT.

To your comment and questions above, John said in one video or post that the run video had been submitted to the BCA. Nothing about what came of that of course.