Pro Tennis is DEAD!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is the end of pro tennis. "Maestro" has been caught paying off over a hundred male pros and fixing hundreds of matches. Some of the lower level pros sold their souls and careers for less than six hundred dollars! While primarily a european issue there are tentacles reaching into the US and no doubt other parts of the world.

This black mark will follow men's pro tennis for fifty years or more. Everybody will look down on the sport as something played by low rent guys on sleazy poorly maintained courts. Probably all of the tennis players in movies will be wearing wife beaters and ugly shorts. When we see a tennis court in a movie we will make a quick dash to the kitchen for more popcorn and get ready for the fight scene. New meaning to fore arm smashes!

Anybody reckon?

Hu

https://apnews.com/6d051d5ee704465087607376d88c33c2

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s definitely pool related IMO. It has all of the parallels to pool match fixing.

My opinion is it won’t hurt the tennis image in the slightest. It’s too goody-good-shoes now and for decades for this to negatively affect it.

IMO.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any game man plays can, will, and has been rigged.

You got that right. I learned a long time ago, that when human beings and money are involved, you'd better look out for yourself because funny things can (and often) happen. We've already seen refs who were fixing NBA basketball games and judges who "favored" one boxer in making their decision. It's happened in no less than the Olympics where judging (gymnastics and diving) is how events are decided.

There have been instances of athletes in several sports (including Pool) who took "dives" to alter the outcome of a contest. I'm certain that much of this has taken place and was never detected.
In pool, we call this "dumping" and it's been around forever!

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got that right. I learned a long time ago, that when human beings and money are involved, you'd better look out for yourself because funny things can (and often) happen. We've already seen refs who were fixing NBA basketball games and judges who "favored" one boxer in making their decision. It's happened in no less than the Olympics where judging (gymnastics and diving) is how events are decided.

There have been instances of athletes in several sports (including Pool) who took "dives" to alter the outcome of a contest. I'm certain that much of this has taken place and was never detected.
In pool, we call this "dumping" and it's been around forever!

Yeah there was a real good N.Y. player that was so famous for dumping that Mack trucks wanted to name a model after him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why? Seems like it involved only low-level guys, not the stars.

The "stars" are playing in the biggest tournaments with huge prize funds. No need for them to do anything funny. The "low level" guys are mostly playing for peanuts, similar to what we see in pro pool. The down side for them is that in all likelihood their pro tennis careers are over. Some of these young guys had a chance to move up the food chain, but that's all over for them now.

It will be interesting to see what is said about it in tennis circles and what commentators like John McEnroe have to say. Mac is typically very outspoken. Just wondering if he will clam up here.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Are"? The guy the above poster and myself were referring to is dead, not to mention there hasn't been much serious gambling, at least if we are talking the city area, among top players for DECADES.

PS- I did see a top player set up a phony match giving weight to a broke shortstop and lose in order to trap a very well-heeled other short stop who was sweating the "match". He didnt fall for it. In fact when he was asked to bet something, he said "what am i going to win, a ham sandwich?" Funny guy

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've shared it here before, but a pro cyclist nearing the end of his career found himself alone and off the front with one other dude with a mile or so to go...game him 100k for the win.

Story: https://www.velonews.com/2017/12/news/vinokourov-to-face-corruption-trial-for-liege-win_453765

Vid: https://youtu.be/2CX9tzbY-gU
When it comes to scandals cycling usually leads the pack. Between shit like this and dope-central its a wonder pro cycling still exists. Sagan is a badass,btw.