How straight does a cue need to be?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No question that when we buy a nice cue we expect it to be straight, butt and shafts. However, when we get down to playability, and not loss of playability in that few inches between our ears, how straight does a cue need to be?

The real answer is not very straight at all. We generally position the tip in relationship to the cue ball with it less than two inches from the cue ball, many of us with it less than an inch. The shaft passing through the bridge for that distance needs to be straight. Add another inch for the distance the tip is in contact with the cue ball and the shaft needs to be reasonably straight for maybe three inches. When using spin the shaft will move sideways or vertically in our bridge a lot more than any crookedness in our stick for that short distance.

Other than pride of ownership and the effect on that space between our ears, how straight our stick is may be the least important issue affecting our play. When gambling in strange places I usually played with one of the crookedest sticks in the wall racks. The reason was simple, the shaft area where my bridge made contact was usually less abused and the tip was usually in better shape, both more important to me than how straight the stick was.

My present playing shaft warps a little with the seasons and returns to straightness. My first impulse was to replace it, my second to reseal it when it was straight. Then I remembered all of those crooked house sticks that played just fine and forgot about it. My cue's shaft is a little warped, my eyesight is a little warped, maybe they will offset each other!

Hu

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
straighter than this

Attachments

• 8E8BD6B7-AB23-4AC0-ACD6-572CAD47D5AD.jpg
    8E8BD6B7-AB23-4AC0-ACD6-572CAD47D5AD.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 777

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the experts I know roll a cue on the pool table to evaluate its quality.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
still do

All the experts I know roll a cue on the pool table to evaluate its quality.

I have to admit I still do when playing off the wall. Then I proclaim the cue "gooder enough" as the tip hops up and down! What can I say, old habits die hard.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago i TORTURED this guy in a bar using a wally that hopped a good 1/4" when rolled. Have had a few that weren't lazer straight that played just fine. A little wobble isn't gonna hurt ya.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a wall cue, I don’t even roll it. All I care about is the condition of the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've thought that a slightly warped cue could possibly help various alignment problems. With a straight cue you don't get feedback on slight imperfections on the back and forth action, but maybe a warped cue might. Or not.
I wouldn't give a guy weight because he shows you his cue is warped.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 70 years

Back in the day when I was playing in bars off the wall, the straightest you could find was ' good enough ' and I have played thousands and thousands of hours with a crooked cue.
I think today many buyers roll a cue on the table and if there is any, even very slight wobble, they think, if I buy this I can never resell it.
To answer the question, imo, if it's a 5k josswest, it should be lathe straight, if it's a 500 playing cue, rolled on the table should be good enough.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
give the man a cigar?

straighter than this

Is that the end of the cue or a cigar coming out in front of WC's bridge hand? Looks like it might be a bit of slight of hand looking at the taper going into his bridge.

Hu

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a wall cue, I don’t even roll it. All I care about is the condition of the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This and the weight.

I walk the wall looking at tips, when I see a good one I check the weight (I prefer a lighter bar stick 17'sh). Once in a while I will roll it because if it's too bad I simply play with the curve up (tip down). I usually look for a mark on the butt to keep in the up position so it's consistent.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This and the weight.

I walk the wall looking at tips, when I see a good one I check the weight (I prefer a lighter bar stick 17'sh). Once in a while I will roll it because if it's too bad I simply play with the curve up (tip down). I usually look for a mark on the butt to keep in the up position so it's consistent.

Exactly! That's the key....a good tip, then hold the cue the same way every time. A lot players years ago would make a burn mark on the shaft end so they could hold the cue consistently the same on every shot.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
This and the weight.

I walk the wall looking at tips, when I see a good one I check the weight (I prefer a lighter bar stick 17'sh). Once in a while I will roll it because if it's too bad I simply play with the curve up (tip down).

In a lot of the places I play out of, you'd be walking the wall 'til your head spun. Most of the crooked, nicked-up, bumper-less cues in this area have worn out slip-on ferrule/tips....sometimes with partial tips :embarrassed2:

Weight doesn't matter to me. Although my preference is 19 ounces, playing with a lighter/heavier cue does not affect my game. That said...balance is important and can make a difference in my play.

Getting back to Hu's assessment, well....when it comes time to play with one of my cues, I just screw it together and go. Never check the straightness. The only time I check for straightness is when I get a cue in my hands for the first time, and I don't think I've ever received one that I deemed unplayable.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Is that the end of the cue or a cigar coming out in front of WC's bridge hand? Looks like it might be a bit of slight of hand looking at the taper going into his bridge.

Hu

If that's a cigar, even THAT is crooked. :grin-square:

Maniac (knows a crooked cigar doesn't matter either)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on where the bend is though, no?

A little bend at the ferrule area would render a cue useless, imo.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WC shows the correct way of checking for a warped cue.

Attachments

• D23FC371-61E5-456F-AA19-911DACFFA469.jpeg
    D23FC371-61E5-456F-AA19-911DACFFA469.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 328

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a lot of the places I play out of, you'd be walking the wall 'til your head spun. Most of the crooked, nicked-up, bumper-less cues in this area have worn out slip-on ferrule/tips....sometimes with partial tips :embarrassed2:

Weight doesn't matter to me. Although my preference is 19 ounces, playing with a lighter/heavier cue does not affect my game. That said...balance is important and can make a difference in my play.

Getting back to Hu's assessment, well....when it comes time to play with one of my cues, I just screw it together and go. Never check the straightness. The only time I check for straightness is when I get a cue in my hands for the first time, and I don't think I've ever received one that I deemed unplayable.

Maniac

Agreed, there's a local arcade/sports place in town that has 2 9' tables but the sticks are horrendous! No players ever shoot there so they don't know any better. I literally shot with a cue that was missing a pie shaped piece of the tip because it was THE best tip, LOL. I just paid attention to top, bottom, left, right to determine which way I needed the weight marking oriented. I lost one game out of 10? LOL.

Depends on where the bend is though, no?

A little bend at the ferrule area would render a cue useless, imo.

That is a valid point, I have put a stick back because the bend was within 6" of the tip and was hard to use.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, when it comes to crooked cigars . . .

If that's a cigar, even THAT is crooked. :grin-square:

Maniac (knows a crooked cigar doesn't matter either)

When it comes to crooked cigars I would think monica would be the authority!

Hu