Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 14.1 Break Ball Help
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thumbs up 09-28-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
Some great strategic info. there. Most people(including me) completely snooze some of these options.

Old
  (#32)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Some great strategic info. there. Most people(including me) completely snooze some of these options.
Looks like two excellent strategies for being a massive d*ck! lol.

Thanks for posting that, but I don't ever recall a pro player using this strategy. I'm not a big 9 ball guy, so I could be mistaken.

Dan White

Old
  (#33)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

09-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
The problem with that strategy with today's rules is that any balls pocketed even on a foul or push-out are not spotted, unless it is the 9-ball. Based on Pat's age, that is an ancient video when I assume the 9-ball rules were a little different, so this strategy could have been used to a player's advantage.

Old
  (#34)
peppersauce
AzB Silver Member
peppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Here's one by Ralf Eckert. Unfortunately it's in German. But if you watch closely you can follow a lot of what he's saying. Ratta posted on this thread.....he's German, perhaps he can translate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJfD0sRBIbk
I missed this post. Thank you! I never thought to practice the break like that, but it makes sense to put the break ball closer for practice so you’re not guessing at exactly where the CB is hitting the stack. It takes the guesswork out of the equation and allows you to see what the CB does when you hit the high or low side of a ball.

For anyone looking for more 14.1 info, I came across this old Bert Kinister/George Fels 14.1 video on Dennis Walsh’s YouTube channel. It’s packed with great info for straight pool neophytes like myself. Thanks for putting the vid up, Dennis!

https://youtu.be/wlbGHBvXYqw

Old
  (#35)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2018, 05:29 PM

Actually I have allready translated that video here on this forum. I'm not German, but I do understand the language. I'll try to dig up the thread.

Here is my translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
This video is solid gold, like most of Mr. Eckerts videos!
I can make a brief summary of what he is saying (key points only, rough summary). If you have a specific section you'd like me to translate word for word, I can do that as well (keep in mind that neither German, nor English is my arterial language,so some slight mistakes are likely). I've structured my eplaination differently than his for the sake of brevity:

The main theme of his video is the standard breakshot (with the object ball close to the side of the rack) and how to determine and control where the cue ball is going on these shots.

1: When the cueball strikes the object ball it travels along the tangent line towards the rack. The closer you are to the rack, the less chance you have to alter this path.

2:. The side of the rack is divided into pairs of object balls with the crack between them as the center.

3. Using high/low/left/right has less influence on the cueballs path on these side breakshots than which object ball in a pair is hit first.

4. Depending on which ball is struck first in such a pair, the cueball will move in three different "general directions" or "basic directions".

5. When hitting the ball below the crack first, the cueball will generally travel upwards towards the end rail.You have two possibilities:
A:You can use low, making sure to have enough speed to go to the end rail and back out.
B: You can use high to keep the cueball from going up, thereby keeping the cueball down table. He explains that he does not use a lot of high, but you can travel more down/sideways with more high. In his example he states he used a bit too much and got stuck, but did get a shot.

6. When hitting a ball full the cueball will generally travel towards the middle of the lower side rail/side pocket area. This is a bit more difficult to control exactly. He generally hits these with stun.

7. When hitting the ball above the crack first, the cueball will generally travel downwards to the head rail/corner
When you have a severe angle you have two options:
A: You can use high and hit the head rail, bending the ball forward from the general direction.
B: You can use low and hit the side rail above the pocket. He explains that you can also use sidespin to control the cueball in this case, though he doesn't in his example.
When you have a flat angle (less than perpendicular) you can only use low, since the forward spin won't be effective enough in bending the cueball path and hit the end rail.
(8. "Translators note" :Whenever he says "Basisrichtung", he is referring to the basic direction or general direction)

Hope this helps. Native German speakers are welcome- and encouraged to correct any mistakes.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 10-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Old
  (#36)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Actually I have allready translated that video here on this forum. I'm not German, but I do understand the language. I'll try to dig up the thread.

Here is my translation
In your item 7, the word "head" (in 2 locations) should be "foot," right?

Old
  (#37)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
In your item 7, the word "head" (in 2 locations) should be "foot," right?
I play both snooker and pool and they use those terms with completely opposite meaning. Whatever makes sense, that's what I meant.

Old
  (#38)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I play both snooker and pool and they use those terms with completely opposite meaning. Whatever makes sense, that's what I meant.
Yes, the head rail on a pool table is at the breaking end and the foot rail is at the racking end. So in talking about 14.1 pool, it's good to use pool terminology.

[In snooker, isn't the end where the reds are racked and the black is spotted called the foot end?]

Old
  (#39)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Yes, the head rail on a pool table is at the breaking end and the foot rail is at the racking end. So in talking about 14.1 pool, it's good to use pool terminology.

[In snooker, isn't the end where the reds are racked and the black is spotted called the foot end?]
In snooker, the rail where the black spot ( originally the red spot at English billiards) is
called the top rail....so the terms for the ends of the table are reversed....
...the bottom end is where they break off from.

Canucks tend to use the American term...even at snooker.....
...we usually call the black ball rail the Ďbottom railí

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#40)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersauce View Post
Little vent, if you donít mind.

I feel like Iím improving but my runs arenít showing it.

Now I have another problem.
I would not be too worried about your situation, I think its normal not to see real improvement until you address several different areas, then all of a sudden - noticeable improvement!

If you have 4 flat tires on your car, and replace 3, you don't see much real improvement, then replace that 4th tire, and bingo!

Old
  (#41)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4 View Post
I would not be too worried about your situation, I think its normal not to see real improvement until you address several different areas, then all of a sudden - noticeable improvement!

If you have 4 flat tires on your car, and replace 3, you don't see much real improvement, then replace that 4th tire, and bingo!
I love that analogy. I've always thought that playing pool with a stroke flaw was like driving with a flat tire... you can't really drive (or play) the way you are meant to until the problem is fixed.

Dan White

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: