Custome shafts

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read that various pros like there shafts customized when they are using cues by their sponsors. Why don't they just use the productions shafts? Why exactly do they want customized shafts?

For instance I have read that Francisco Bustamante has Bear customize his shaft to his specifications? Why would he do this? What would be the difference and why?

Thank you very much!!!

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I have read that various pros like there shafts customized when they are using cues by their sponsors. Why don't they just use the productions shafts? Why exactly do they want customized shafts?

For instance I have read that Francisco Bustamante has Bear customize his shaft to his specifications? Why would he do this? What would be the difference and why?

Thank you very much!!!

Is this a serious question? Is this real life?

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I think this is a legitimate question, with a simple answer. As with all things pool...

Personal preference

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I would say Francisco Bustamante would be the best one to ask for the correct answer to your question.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say Francisco Bustamante would be the best one to ask for the correct answer to your question.

It doesn't take francisco bustamante to tell you the difference between 2 shafts. But nevermind these two threads are getting old quickly...

Last edited:

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
It doesn't take francisco bustamante to tell you the difference between 2 shafts. But nevermind these two threads are getting old quickly...

This is what you said...
"For instance I have read that Francisco Bustamante has Bear customize his shaft to his specifications? Why would he do this? What would be the difference and why?"

So, Franciso would be able to answer why HE would like the changes..... The rest of us would just be guessing... Example. Maybe he gets a shaft that has a 12" pro taper and prefers a 16" pro taper... etc

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what you said...
"For instance I have read that Francisco Bustamante has Bear customize his shaft to his specifications? Why would he do this? What would be the difference and why?"

So, Franciso would be able to answer why HE would like the changes..... The rest of us would just be guessing... Example. Maybe he gets a shaft that has a 12" pro taper and prefers a 16" pro taper... etc

Ok thank you for your reply

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Both Bustamante and Efren have changed cue preference along the years.
Efren used to like long 60+" cues with really skinny shafts.
Now, his shafts are a little thicker . And he doesn't play with 21 oz'rs anymore.

Bustamante said he prefers heavier cues and fatter shafts now.

Busti actually won his first major title ( The Bike Open in LA ) playing with a Black Boar .

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both Bustamante and Efren have changed cue preference along the years.
Efren used to like long 60+" cues with really skinny shafts.
Now, his shafts are a little thicker . And he doesn't play with 21 oz'rs anymore.

Bustamante said he prefers heavier cues and fatter shafts now.

Busti actually won his first major title ( The Bike Open in LA ) playing with a Black Boar .

Thank you very much!!!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Thank you very much!!!

Possibly because the facings of the butt, and the mass produced facings of the shaft don't match up exactly, or the weight of the mass produced shaft may be different than what they prefer for the forward weight.

Some people prefer certain tires on their car rims, some like Michelin, some have NO clue, some go by price, some choose according to the weather they live in.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Possibly because the facings of the butt, and the mass produced facings of the shaft don't match up exactly, or the weight of the mass produced shaft may be different than what they prefer for the forward weight.

Some people prefer certain tires on their car rims, some like Michelin, some have NO clue, some go by price, some choose according to the weather they live in.

Believe me, the facings on Falcon and Bear cues are pretty good.
Dan Janes of Joss Cues, equipped them.
https://youtu.be/k_EL8yPt4aw?t=214