Slight wobble on my new cue, what would you do?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EDIT: Before you assume that after 6 pages (as of 10/2 9:22am CST) that I am complaining of my wobble still, please read this edit.

First off I should have mentioned, the Meucci Pro shaft I ordered from Budget was a collarless partial shaft. So Schmelke was abe to customize it to their custom built but. The cue was made with all new parts.

I have received enough info to realize, it is what it is. I have accepted this slight wobble I have on my new custom 61" cue with a 31" shaft is never going to be resolved unless I try to straighten it myself.

This post is as long as it is because I tried to reply to all those that chimed in with advice and this of course bumps me to the top, thus making new users see it and reply and then the cycle continues.

So to appease some (more like one) user who's initials rhyme with WW, I wanted to make this very clear.

This was a custom cue I had made by Schmelke with a shaft bought from Budget Billiards. I had the shaft direct shipped to Schmelke for the work. The shaft in question is a Meucci Pro. When I rolled it together it has a slight wobble as well as the shaft alone. So it's in the shaft for sure. I contacted Budget and they forwarded the info to Meucci who then emailed me. They asked if Schmelke could verify the cue rolled straight before it left their shop. Schmelke says they test roll all their cues before they leave and they can confirm it rolled straight. They wrote me a letter confirming this which I then sent back to Meucci. I have yet to hear from them.

So don't you think Meucci should have some sort of warranty on shafts that could potentially warp overtime? My fear is that it's going to eventually warp even worse.

What would you do?

TJ

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if the shaft rolls off when by itself then you got a bad shaft. if it took a long time for you to contact meucci then you should be stuck.

a company cant be responsible if your shaft warps after you had it for awhile as they cannot know what you did with it.

however since they asked you about it and you sent them documentation i suspect they will get you a new shaft.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Suggest you put both butt and shaft in a good case, and put the case in a cool closet upright. Then play the cue now and then.

You can't imagine how many cues and shafts I thought had a bit of wobble, that turned straight, by doing this, over time.

Not a guarantee, just experience.

All the best,
WW

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Return the shaft and get a straight one. Make sure you test it on more than one surface. Could be the surface isn't level.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without defining what a 'slight wobble' means to you, its a question that is difficult to answer.

If you roll the shaft and see a little light under it, I personally would not give it a second thought.

If the tip lifts 1/4" off the table, do what you can to get it replaced.

If its warped like a banana, get your money back and move on to some other brand.

Wood moves a little, and like I say if its minor it wont affect anything (unless you are the type of person who dwells on stuff like that). Anything more than that, Meucci needs to make it right. You have only had the cue a month or 2 IIRC.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if the shaft rolls off when by itself then you got a bad shaft. if it took a long time for you to contact meucci then you should be stuck.

a company cant be responsible if your shaft warps after you had it for awhile as they cannot know what you did with it.

however since they asked you about it and you sent them documentation i suspect they will get you a new shaft.
It was 7 days after I got the cue that I rolled. It was like 4 days after that I mustered up what to say. I ordered it like 8 weeks before that though, that's how long it took for the cue to be completed.

I'll contact them tomorrow since I haven't heard from them since my reply to them.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suggest you put both butt and shaft in a good case, and put the case in a cool closet upright. Then play the cue now and then.

You can't imagine how many cues and shafts I thought had a bit of wobble, that turned straight, by doing this, over time.

Not a guarantee, just experience.

All the best,
WW
I store all cues upright in my case and my house is always between 65-75°F.

I'll be at league on Tuesday, I'll roll it again.

The downside, it's the only cue I have.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Return the shaft and get a straight one. Make sure you test it on more than one surface. Could be the surface isn't level.
It's unfortunately more difficult than that, it's 100% custom from the color to the pin. If I return it I have nothing to play with. I just hope if Meucci does agree to replace it Schmelke can make a new one without having the butt. I waited 8 weeks for this one and I'm shoot great with it, aside from the mental strain of knowing it has a wobble is playing on my head.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without defining what a 'slight wobble' means to you, its a question that is difficult to answer.

If you roll the shaft and see a little light under it, I personally would not give it a second thought.

If the tip lifts 1/4" off the table, do what you can to get it replaced.

If its warped like a banana, get your money back and move on to some other brand.

Wood moves a little, and like I say if its minor it wont affect anything (unless you are the type of person who dwells on stuff like that). Anything more than that, Meucci needs to make it right. You have only had the cue a month or 2 IIRC.
It's slight, I just fear it will get worse much later and I'll be stuck with it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I store all cues upright in my case and my house is always between 65-75°F.

I'll be at league on Tuesday, I'll roll it again.

The downside, it's the only cue I have.

Don't be impatient. You have to give it several months.

Don't hit the ceiling over this.

All the best,
WW

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about your situation. Do you still have the original shaft that came with the schmelke? if yes, perhaps its best to use that for the time being. if no try to borrow one?

it would be unfortunate when they finally get back to you they will claim that the shaft has been extensively used/abused so they cant honour the warranty etc. Not saying that that's what they do, but its just to protect yourself from these sort of things that happen when its a grey area...

Perhaps this is the best example of why you need a second shaft for that other thread...

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the op can get this issue corrected to his satisfaction. I never roll the shafts or my cue for that matter. I would not want this thought in my head..

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Budget sold the shaft, Budget should replace it and force Meucci to take it back.
Billiards should take care of it themselves, and not throw you to the wolves by making you deal with Meucci.

OB would replace it no questions asked, and Jacoby just replaced a jump cue bought in 2013 no questions asked.
I tried to be cool about Meucci and give them the benefit of the doubt, but they put out some defective stuff and have been for a long time.
Meucci jacks people around on repairs when they should just replace the cue, and in this case warped is warped.
The shaft is not going to unwarp, and Schmelke has nothing to do with it.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Budget is ran by a family member(s) of Bob Meucci. I think daughter and son in law, but cant remember for sure.

That's even better
It should be a no brainer for Budget
Thanks for the info
If I ever have to pay retail for anything Meucci, I will get it from Budget

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's even better
It should be a no brainer for Budget
Thanks for the info
If I ever have to pay retail for anything Meucci, I will get it from Budget

I still would not bother..... :eek:

https://www.bbb.org/us/ms/byhalia/p...get-billiards-supply-0543-44024907/complaints

As ********* is already aware. He received the cues with damaged packaging at the post office. He did not make a report regarding the damage to them, nor did he save the packaging, so now we are unable to file a claim. As a goodwill gesture, the manufacturer has promptly arranged for pick up and (as he well knows) is working to repair/replace the product damaged though they will be reimbursed for the shipping damage. This customer needs to take responsibility for his error and not adhering to normal protocol when receiving a damaged package. A return label has been provided to him for the cues return/replacement. Our return policy is for 60 days for product in like new condition. As already explained to him.