AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Bees wax pushing up in seams

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Bees wax pushing up in seams
Old
  (#1)
budonahog
AzB Silver Member
budonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1600

Bees wax pushing up in seams - 11-29-2019, 02:55 PM

Had my table set up about 3 months ago. Noticed awhile back there was one spot pushing up but really didn't think much of it. Couple days ago I realized it is across the whole seam on both ends. Doesn't feel like the slates popped.
Any idea why this may have happened and do I need to remove the felt to fix this?

Old
  (#2)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-29-2019, 03:05 PM

**I'M NOT A MECHANIC**

Had a table installed in my garage in Southern California. During the summer I noticed that the wax had pushed up at the slate joints. You could hear it when a ball rolled over it.

The mechanic came out, removed the rails, popped staples on the cloth near where the seams were and scraped the wax under the cloth. Then re stapled and reassembled.

Old
  (#3)
PoolTable911
AdvancedBilliardSolutions
PoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300
  Send a message via AIM to PoolTable911  
11-29-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budonahog View Post
Had my table set up about 3 months ago. Noticed awhile back there was one spot pushing up but really didn't think much of it. Couple days ago I realized it is across the whole seam on both ends. Doesn't feel like the slates popped.
Any idea why this may have happened and do I need to remove the felt to fix this?
Were the seams glued before wax?

Patrick O'Donnell
609-709-2842 (Direct)
www.PoolTable911.com

"setnoc, you will be missed my friend"

Old
  (#4)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-29-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
That's caused by the frame shrinking adjusting to the room its installed in. 1) slates were not pulled tight together then superglued to keep the slates together first, then the seam waxed. 2) slates are screwed to the frame, slight gaped at the seams, not superglued, frame shrinks because its drying out, as the frame shrinks, it pulls the slates together, as that happens, the wax down in the seam gets squeezed out of the seam upward above the surface of the seam.

You can take a deep well socket from a tool kit, roll it up and down along the seam like a steam roller, that'll cause the wax to flatten out across the seam.

Old
  (#5)
budonahog
AzB Silver Member
budonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond reputebudonahog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1600

11-29-2019, 05:45 PM

The slates were not glued together. Really considering taking it apart, gluing the seams and using bondo. I should mention the table is close to my heat source so the frame shrinking some seems perfectly legit. Is it worth taking apart to do the glue and bondo or just do the socket trick? Thanks for the input so far.

Old
  (#6)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The slates were not glued together. Really considering taking it apart, gluing the seams and using bondo. I should mention the table is close to my heat source so the frame shrinking some seems perfectly legit. Is it worth taking apart to do the glue and bondo or just do the socket trick? Thanks for the input so far.
Socket first, then if you're not satisfied, take it apart and do it again, only make sure the seams are glued first.

Old
  (#7)
PoolTable911
AdvancedBilliardSolutions
PoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300
  Send a message via AIM to PoolTable911  
11-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I would take it apart and glue the seams. If you are using the blue wax sticks it would be harder to roll out flat. Regular bee's wax is softer and would roll out flat. I recommend doing it the right way.

Patrick O'Donnell
609-709-2842 (Direct)
www.PoolTable911.com

"setnoc, you will be missed my friend"

Old
  (#8)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Is it worth taking apart to do the glue and bondo or just do the socket trick? Thanks for the input so far.
Just my $0.02: If you are going to switch to bondo when you fix it, you must get all the wax off, bondo an wax do not mix. I also say use the paper and super glue on the seams .

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#9)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
That's caused by the frame shrinking adjusting to the room its installed in. 1) slates were not pulled tight together then superglued to keep the slates together first, then the seam waxed. 2) slates are screwed to the frame, slight gaped at the seams, not superglued, frame shrinks because its drying out, as the frame shrinks, it pulls the slates together, as that happens, the wax down in the seam gets squeezed out of the seam upward above the surface of the seam.

You can take a deep well socket from a tool kit, roll it up and down along the seam like a steam roller, that'll cause the wax to flatten out across the seam.
Same problem with my previous table but it was in my basement. It would get a little damp in the summer, and very dry in the winter. Was heating with a corn stove.

I used the blue bees wax with resin in it. I tried rolling it. Didnt work. Warmed it with a heat gun (very carefully) and it worked. Hair dryer didnt get warm enough. A couple of spots i over warmed and the wax was pushed into the cloth. Sort of infused with the fibers. Didnt affect play but it could if you over fo it. So warm it carefully. Word of warning.... be aware of how close you get the heat gun. You can very easily melt the nylon fibers in the cloth.

Eventually I took the cloth off and glued the slates together. Used pieces of thick construction paper between the slates and soaked them with super glue. Recovered and never ha to touch it again until I sold it.

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft. Morri hard.
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Last edited by buckshotshoey; 12-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Old
  (#10)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
Just my $0.02: If you are going to switch to bondo when you fix it, you must get all the wax off, bondo an wax do not mix. I also say use the paper and super glue on the seams .

Trent from Toledo
Yep. Must be completely free of wax. Not even a film. You might even have to sand the slate edges with 180 grit to remove everything.

Question for you guys.... have any of you ever used Duraglas instead of polyester filler? Its basically the same polyester formula as bondo, but it has fiberglass fibers in it. Duraglas uses the same peroxide hardener as the bondo.

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft. Morri hard.
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Old
  (#11)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
Yep. Must be completely free of wax. Not even a film. You might even have to sand the slate edges with 180 grit to remove everything.

Question for you guys.... have any of you ever used Duraglas instead of polyester filler? Its basically the same polyester formula as bondo, but it has fiberglass fibers in it. Duraglas uses the same peroxide hardener as the bondo.
I only use wax and bondo. More bondo than wax. No reason to use anything else. Especially something with fiberglass in it.

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#12)
Call_me_Tom
AzB Silver Member
Call_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Trent from Toledo

Interesting you mention superglue because when I mentioned that in a previous thread you mocked me.

Cues: Katana KAT09 • McDermott GS02C2 & Custom Clover • 1811
Shafts: Katana KATXS1 • McDermott Traditional & G-Core • OB Plus Pro • Jacoby Black • Pechauer Black Ice
Cases: Katana 1/1 • McDermott 1/1 • JB Cases 4/8

Old
  (#13)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

12-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
Interesting you mention superglue because when I mentioned that in a previous thread you mocked me.
Here is what you said that I was commenting on that is WRONG:

"Three piece slate they have to glue together and then sand it even. It’s not like leafs of a dinning room table."

They are NOT sanded even. They are superglued together EVEN and then bondo'd...

Please: Move on dude you have nothing to say here. Thank You!

Last edited by trentfromtoledo; 12-01-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Old
  (#14)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=trentfromtoledo;6530827]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shoot Pool
Not People

Last edited by mchnhed; 12-01-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Old
  (#15)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

12-01-2019, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=mchnhed;6530830]
Quote:
Not to mention you are not adding ANYTHING to the topic, nor are you a mechanic.

Trent from Toledo

Don’t take it so personal.
I am not angry. No cursing, no threats and no lies

I am being very forward No failure...

LOVE YOU MAN!!

Trent

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: