FS: Custom cue display case

duc996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
SOLD!!!! PM me with what you have in mind. Thanks. I have a custom made cue display case for sale. Cabinet will hold 8 butts and 32 shafts and is made with black walnut, hard maple, and curly maple inlays and curly maple doors. Blum soft close European style hinges are installed along with a cam lock and aluminum plate for strength. Natural cork is used for cue base and dovetail joints are used throughout the cabinet. Sprayed with polyacrylic satin finish. Dimensions of the cabinet is 26.5" wide x 41.25" tall x 5.5" deep and widest point which is the top trim is 29.25" wide.

I built the cabinet to show most of the cue when doors are closed. The cabinet has a French cleat system installed to hang on the wall. If you are local and want to see the cabinet please let me know. If you want it shipped it will be around $100.00 to ship and I do not ship with the glass. Glass can be cut at Lowes hardware for around 11-12 bucks. I am asking $800.00 plus shipping. SOLD! plus shipping PayPal is preferred.....please send as FF. Thank you.
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dear Lord that is sweet!

And for a shaft maniac like me it's got extra shaft space!

I know this isn't the place for reviews but I need to comment.

Obviously construction and materials are great here. But design is what I want to point out. In so many such cabinets the door frame cuts off the view of the top and bottom of the cue. I hate that. In this case you will see the whole cue.

There is a little cut off on the sides, but in this style of cabinet this is the best I have seen as far as visibility of the cues on display.

I am also fussy about the glass. Either use UV blocking plexy, or put UV blocking film on the glass. UV will accelerate aging of the finish, even the best finish. And things like plastic butt caps and rings will age as well under UV.

I wish I had the cash to be in the market right now...this is one seriously nice display case. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

duc996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Dear Lord that is sweet!

And for a shaft maniac like me it's got extra shaft space!

I know this isn't the place for reviews but I need to comment.

Obviously construction and materials are great here. But design is what I want to point out. In so many such cabinets the door frame cuts off the view of the top and bottom of the cue. I hate that. In this case you will see the whole cue.

There is a little cut off on the sides, but in this style of cabinet this is the best I have seen as far as visibility of the cues on display.

I am also fussy about the glass. Either use UV blocking plexy, or put UV blocking film on the glass. UV will accelerate aging of the finish, even the best finish. And things like plastic butt caps and rings will age as well under UV.

I wish I had the cash to be in the market right now...this is one seriously nice display case. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you very much Chopdoc!

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i am curious, is it safe to store cues like this? is it actually better or worse for the cues to be kept in a case like this from a warping standpoint vs a jb, gtf and/or centennial type of case?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i am curious, is it safe to store cues like this? is it actually better or worse for the cues to be kept in a case like this from a warping standpoint vs a jb, gtf and/or centennial type of case?

There is a lot of debate about such things.

I will tell you that a used cue stored in something like a Centennial or Fellini can get mold on the wrap.

Personally, I would love such a display case with UV protection. If it is plain glass you can pick up UV protection film at a home store like Home Dept or order it online on a roll.

IMHO as long as you have UV protection on the "glass" then you are good to go with a display case.

If you are storing in tube cases I recommend getting them out once in a while. If you are fortunate enough to have climate controlled storage like for high end art etc, then you are fine...but generally I recommend regular inspections and inventory anyway, just like curating any art. Natural materials degrade over time due to microbes, and oxidation, and you will not know if you don't check on it.

The hazard with a display case is UV, but as I said that is easily blocked. If this case has plain glass instead of UV blocking poly or plexi, then you can easily apply a film for a few bucks. Same stuff you buy to lower your cooling bill at home by blocking UV on your windows.

As for warpage concerns, a stable environment is key, so IMHO humidity control is important. If you let wood get too wet, even very stable wood, then dry it, it will move, even split, and that is not considering other materials used in cues.

UV can yellow and degrade even the best finishes...and it can fade colors in veneers, plastics, etc.

If you have modern cues with modern finishes that is the most durable, especially automotive finish. Antiques can age really fast under improper storage and UV will change them faster than most think. Nothing wrong with age appropriate changes but you don't want premature age or breakdown of materials and finishes, it is avoidable if you are serious about it.

duc996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you don’t like the style of the cabinet I can custom build one to your specs. I can work off of photos you have in mind also. Thank you.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have been storing my collection of Scruggs cues for years in a case like this. No problems to date.