True Cost of a Southwest?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jviss
read where you said" far beyond its utility"

usefulnness ie pool play

incidently i said "who is this guywith so many opinions and asked who you are" nothing negative you might know somrthing about pool

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jviss
read where you said" far beyond its utility"

usefulnness ie pool play

incidently i said "who is this guywith so many opinions and asked who you are" nothing negative you might know somrthing about pool

You are misinterpreting that comment. I wasn't making an assessment of the SW cue's utility, I was saying the artistic value, and therefor the dollar value, exceeds the value for its utility. (BTW, I think you can probably hit the utility limit for a cue at about $1,000, considering carbon fiber, LD shafts.)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
read the top post on this page
do you see the word utility?
Do you want to just argue? Is that what you're here for? Stop being such a curmudgeon. I hereby concede all arguments and points to you Deano, I hope you feel better now.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
jviss your opinion is meaningless

unless we know more about you

who are you?
where do you play?
do you play so good that you would know a great hitting cue if you saw one?

why do good players like them so much?
Do you play better than Tony C
or know more about pool than Billy incardona?

These guys pay retail to get their SW cues just like everybody else

The only reason most of us don't play south west is because it is hard to turn down a profit

I almost always intend to keep mine,but I get an offer

Billy incarona gave me a quiet personal lecture,He said,

:"we all know they play the best,why don't you just keep one,you can afford it?"

Billy is no stranger to pool cues,value or money.

His advice carries some weight,but who is jviss?

I would hate to miss out by taking the advice of a guy
with no feedback and no reputation.
How do I know that he knows anything about pool?

just asking,

she may be somebody big for all I know.
But I doubt it

Couldnt stand my SW either and sold it as soon as possible.

It's not like these cues are being bought for 5k and getting flipped for 10k or more. If a grand is a huge profit for these people(enough to sell "the best cue ever made") they must not play that well, because if I found the "best cue ever" it wouldn't get sold.

I've talked to way more people that dont like the hit vs people who do.

You get butthurt everytime somebody says they dont like how a SW plays

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Do you want to just argeu? Is that what you're here for? Stop being such a curmudgeon. I hereby concede all arguments and points to you Deano, I hope you feel better now.

You questioned the validity of a cue being worth that kind of money. Deano sells these incredibly high priced cues, you're dogging his product. I'm in sales, I've gotten miffed someone ran my product down.

That said, I thought you were spot on with your comments. When cues get that expensive and become more art than cue. I'd be stressed to take a multiple thousand dollar cue out of my house. And yes, it costs much more than it's utility.

Thank goodness the quality of the hit and the ability to play the game doesn't require a cue that cost anywhere near that much.

It's a really nice thing about pool. SVB can play lights out pool with a $2000 cue or a $200 cue.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You questioned the validity of a cue being worth that kind of money. Deano sells these incredibly high priced cues, you're dogging his product. I'm in sales, I've gotten miffed someone ran my product down.

That said, I thought you were spot on with your comments. When cues get that expensive and become more art than cue. I'd be stressed to take a multiple thousand dollar cue out of my house. And yes, it costs much more than it's utility.

Thank goodness the quality of the hit and the ability to play the game doesn't require a cue that cost anywhere near that much.

It's a really nice thing about pool. SVB can play lights out pool with a $2000 cue or a $200 cue.

Deano sells everything, he isnt a rep for SW.

He has every right to say he thinks the cues play bad, just like I do, just like many, many more do.

Who knows, I could find one I liked, but I wont be looking because of my experience with the first one I owned.

I don't go back to a restaurant if my first experience with the food was bad.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I've owned five and only one of those actually played well. The one that played well was a merry widow and was the least expensive at $1,200.

I know very few really good players that actually like to play with them.

On the other hand, I know tons of people that collect them. Most of which do it to resale the cue at a later date. Very, very few actually buy them with no plans to ever resale.

I've heard a few people claim they would never sell but, lol....most all of them did.

Jeff

Spot on, great post.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My number approaches, and I ask has anyone got or have an idea if Laurie has a current price list?

Reason is I do not want to be shocked? When you got your notice 6 month or more ago did she send a price list?

Would anyone share.

Cocobolo,

My experience is from 6 years ago. However, when my name came up in Jan 2014 Laurie gave me a price list, and I was not shocked at all. I felt that pricing was more than fair for the cue I was ordering. BTW I got on the wait list in 2003.

Hope this helps. By the way, I love my SW, play with it all the time, and probably will never sell it.

Cheers and happy New Year.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
not one of the most sought after
the most sought after in the history of pool

ask laurie if you want to know no need to guess

by the way i have an unhit 6 pointer with veneers,rings etc
for $5500 and no wait

got any pictures:D

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never owned a Southwest and based upon what time I've banged balls with quite a few of them that my friends own, I would never buy one. Especially, for the amount of money they cost.

They have a cult following, but they aren't my cup of tea.

None of the ones I tried hit any better than my best cues and my cues don't cost anywhere near as much.

If we are going to talk "good-hitting cues" in a "cost-to-hit" comparison, I have an old C-14 McDermott that will run rings around any Southwest I've tried.

I bought the McDermott new when the D-line came out and the C-line was being phased out. I paid $118, shipped, for it and it was listed for $220.

It hits way better than any Southwest I've ever tried. It hits so good that I've turned down over $1000 for it many, many times, even years ago when $1000 was worth way more than now. As a matter of fact, I was offered $1500 for it this year by a guy who hit about 7 or 8 balls with it.

When my $118 production cue can bring in over 10 times what I paid for it means something. None of the people who offered to buy it were cue collectors hoping for a profit later on. They were pool players who knew a "good hitting" cue when they played with it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid $350 for my first SW in 88

I have about 6 or 7 of them from satin to fancy’s. Ain’t selling them. Wonderful cues.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I have never owned a Southwest and based upon what time I've banged balls with quite a few of them that my friends own, I would never buy one. Especially, for the amount of money they cost.

They have a cult following, but they aren't my cup of tea.

None of the ones I tried hit any better than my best cues and my cues don't cost anywhere near as much.

If we are going to talk "good-hitting cues" in a "cost-to-hit" comparison, I have an old C-14 McDermott that will run rings around any Southwest I've tried.

I bought the McDermott new when the D-line came out and the C-line was being phased out. I paid $118, shipped, for it and it was listed for $220.

It hits way better than any Southwest I've ever tried. It hits so good that I've turned down over $1000 for it many, many times, even years ago when $1000 was worth way more than now. As a matter of fact, I was offered $1500 for it this year by a guy who hit about 7 or 8 balls with it.

When my $118 production cue can bring in over 10 times what I paid for it means something. None of the people who offered to buy it were cue collectors hoping for a profit later on. They were pool players who knew a "good hitting" cue when they played with it.

Well my experience is a complete 180.. I've played with many low end McDermott cues over the past 35 years and NONE have even been even in the same vicinity as far as how they played compared to South West cues.... Out of all the cues I've played, the mid to low end McDermotts rank amoung the worst I've played with.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well my experience is a complete 180.. I've played with many low end McDermott cues over the past 35 years and NONE have even been even in the same vicinity as far as how they played compared to South West cues.... Out of all the cues I've played, the mid to low end McDermotts rank amoung the worst I've played with.

It isn't necessarily the name of the maker or the price of the cue that determines how it plays.

I've played with cues from the very bottom of the spectrum to high-dollar customs and they all play differently. I sold my cue that I had Richard Black custom build for me after I got the McDermott and tried it out. The difference in play, to me, wasn't even close in comparison. I will have to say that an earlier custom cue that I got from Richard may have been one of the best players I've had. Wish I'd never let it go.

The C-14 I have is made as solid as any cue on the market and it was made from good quality ebony and maple. I haven't met a person yet who didn't like the hit of this cue. I have plenty of cues, production and custom, and if this cue didn't play so well I may not have kept it for nearly 40 years.

Attachments

• c-14 crop (3).jpg
    c-14 crop (3).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
It isn't necessarily the name of the maker or the price of the cue that determines how it plays.

I've played with cues from the very bottom of the spectrum to high-dollar customs and they all play differently. I sold my cue that I had Richard Black custom build for me after I got the McDermott and tried it out. The difference in play, to me, wasn't even close in comparison. I will have to say that an earlier custom cue that I got from Richard may have been one of the best players I've had. Wish I'd never let it go.

The C-14 I have is made as solid as any cue on the market and it was made from good quality ebony and maple. I haven't met a person yet who didn't like the hit of this cue. I have plenty of cues, production and custom, and if this cue didn't play so well I may not have kept it for nearly 40 years.

Never said price solely determines how a cue plays but it does play a part and the maker MOST definately matters. Their construction techniques and how the treat their matterials are everything. Lower end production cues dont go through the same scrutiny as South West cues do... I'm glad you like your cue. We'll just agree to disagree but if you're ever in the NW Indiana/Chicago area maybe you'll get the chance to add another on that "person I met" list.. maybe not. :)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many things are like this. I can certainly understand how a cue just feels right to a person, and another person may not like it at all. It's like that with musical instruments. I have a Takamine "lawsuit" model, a copy of a Martin D-28, that I like better than any Martin I've played. I have a Mexican Strat' that I like better than any American Strat' I've played. Conversely, I have a Rickenbacker 360-12 than no clone I've tried can even come close to. Tools are like this, too - hammers, saws, pliers, etc.

It's also a matter of luck. You have to "luck in to" your favorite cue. I don't have enough experience with cues to know if I've hit the best one for me yet. My current favorite is my Schmelke R040 Cocobolo Sneaky Pete. My Lucasi will arrive tommorrow. We will see.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many things are like this. I can certainly understand how a cue just feels right to a person, and another person may not like it at all. It's like that with musical instruments. I have a Takamine "lawsuit" model, a copy of a Martin D-28, that I like better than any Martin I've played. I have a Mexican Strat' that I like better than any American Strat' I've played. Conversely, I have a Rickenbacker 360-12 than no clone I've tried can even come close to. Tools are like this, too - hammers, saws, pliers, etc.

It's also a matter of luck. You have to "luck in to" your favorite cue. I don't have enough experience with cues to know if I've hit the best one for me yet. My current favorite is my Schmelke R040 Cocobolo Sneaky Pete. My Lucasi will arrive tommorrow. We will see.

What can happen sometimes as well, is that people convince themselves that brand X is the best. And they pay an inflated price to buy brand X, then tell themselves that it really is the best. It is a bias that exists in many ways over many different mediums.

Some people will only buy a particular ketchup, even though the store brand (depending on what store they are shopping in) was made in the same factory and tastes the same.

Asians tend to flock to mystical magical bullshit all the time. Some still believe that dried and ground up bear penis (or whatever the fook) will give them more virility.

Thats why Southwest cues are so popular over there. They are convinced that the price, and the decade (+) long waiting list must mean its the "best".

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What can happen sometimes as well, is that people convince themselves that brand X is the best. And they pay an inflated price to buy brand X, then tell themselves that it really is the best. It is a bias that exists in many ways over many different mediums.

Some people will only buy a particular ketchup, even though the store brand (depending on what store they are shopping in) was made in the same factory and tastes the same.

Asians tend to flock to mystical magical bullshit all the time. Some still believe that dried and ground up bear penis (or whatever the fook) will give them more virility.

Thats why Southwest cues are so popular over there. They are convinced that the price, and the decade (+) long waiting list must mean its the "best".

Actually there is a big demand for Bear Gallbladder, it is believe to be stronger the the "V" Drug, that Bob Dole Bata Tested, and made a killing on.