Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page When to fit the pin?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member
EL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-17-2020, 01:36 PM

You center the 2 ends in 4 independent jaws, because the concentricity of pin, barrel ... is unknow.

I'm not sure if I understand what you need to do, what you want to turn exactly?

Last edited by EL Picos; 09-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Old
  (#32)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

09-17-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Picos View Post
You center the 2 ends in 4 independent jaws, because the concentricity of pin, barrel ... is unknow.
Or you can dial in the OD of the joint collar after the last pass and install the screw.
You don't center hole Uniloc QR screws.

And there is a trick to keeping that joint collar as smooth as possible after the last pass for easier indication .

Last edited by JoeyInCali; 09-17-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Old
  (#33)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member
EL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Or you can dial in the OD of the joint collar after the last pass and install the screw.
You don't center hole Uniloc QR screws.

And there is a trick to keeping that joint collar as smooth as possible after the last pass for easier indication .

I dont understand very well what you have to do on this butt, what do you have to change?

Old
  (#34)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Picos View Post
I dont understand very well what you have to do on this butt, what do you have to change?
Nothing.
It's done.
I installed the screw after final pass.
Just needs finish and wrap now.

Old
  (#35)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member

09-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Nothing.
It's done.
Very nice, Bravo!

Old
  (#36)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
As long as the there is no visible movement in the tip I have done everything I was suppose to do. Isn't that the end goal for everyone?
Exactly.
Or maybe "precisely"
I responded only because you indicated (rhetorical?) puzzlement at my shorthand.

I've got a lot of respect & appreciation for the cuemakers on this forum so it bothers me when they indicate they don't think i understand precision or even nuance at times. If you suggest i explain myself i'll probably take the invitation literally.

smt

Old
  (#37)
Canadian cue
AzB Silver Member
Canadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2020, 02:07 PM

When building cues I put the pin in after final turn. But I have had to use the pins center for turning as well when doing repairs, wrap grooves and such. You can get the job done more than one way. lots of variables, different style of screws gives you different options. Your machine setup also can change how you do things, if you are cutting off of a taper bar vs offset centers. With a taper bar you could hold the pin in a 5C collet or other type of hard collet. Its like Dave said so long as you end up with the right results doesn't matter so much your approach. For the purpose of learning try a bunch of ways of getting the same results and decide for yourself the way you feel is best. There are no rules just standards of results. If your method gets the job done but takes way too long that is another consideration.

Old
  (#38)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 09-29-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Nothing.
It's done.
Not done. You should have polished that pin before you installed it.

Mike<<<<<< 4:30 a.m. SMART ASS

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Old
  (#39)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

09-29-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Not done. You should have polished that pin before you installed it.

Mike<<<<<< 4:30 a.m. SMART ASS
I'll hit it with 0 then 000.
It's not a pin. It's a screw.
Smarter ass at 1:38AM

Old
  (#40)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

09-29-2020, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyincali View Post
i'll hit it with 0 then 000.
It's not a pin. It's a screw.
Smarter ass at 1:38am
........ouch.........

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Old
  (#41)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

09-29-2020, 08:03 AM

My thread sidetrack.
Please forgive me.

More than any other joint screw, pin. WHATEVER
Uni loc quick realease is the most effected by dirt.
Please POLISH them, just bot the part that glues in. Most screws we buy are tumble polished only. It's ok but has a lot of flaws.

Name:  IMG_240620_095005.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  169.5 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Old
  (#42)
conetip
AzB Silver Member
conetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

09-29-2020, 11:22 AM

Although the pin in Joe cue is not shiny, he has taken the crests off the top of the part generated from the manufacturing process. It is evident by the cross hatch pattern seen on the pin part. Often it is the crests from the way it was made, that can cause parts to have issues when being assembled. The rumbling does not remove all these little crests, but does reduce the amplitude of them for a production part. Fine wet dry paper or lapping or external honing, is the best way to remove these crests on a pin or shaft, and honing or lapping is the best way for removing them from a bore.

Neil Lickfold.
Cuttlefish Cues.
cuttlefishcues@gmail.com
Sorry, not taking any cue orders until further notice.

Old
  (#43)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

09-29-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
My thread sidetrack.
Please forgive me.

More than any other joint screw, pin. WHATEVER
Uni loc quick realease is the most effected by dirt.
Please POLISH them, just bot the part that glues in. Most screws we buy are tumble polished only. It's ok but has a lot of flaws.

Attachment 558712
Damn!
That looks so good, a meth user wouldn't touch it now.
Shame on UniLoc for subcontracting their screws to another company who doesn't polish the screws right.
They need to make their inserts longer too.
Imo, the screw has way too long of a barrel too.

Old
  (#44)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

09-29-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Damn!
That looks so good, a meth user wouldn't touch it now.
Shame on UniLoc for subcontracting their screws to another company who doesn't polish the screws right.
They need to make their inserts longer too.
Imo, the screw has way too long of a barrel too.
No argument here. It's normal business for tumbler polishers to be used. Even your guy uses one. Farming out after protypes are made have also become normal business. The brass insert o.d. thread, I gave up arguing about. We work with wood, they should be a 7/16/x14 thread not the fine thread. Polishing myself has just become 2nd nature to me as well as i.d. threading and polishing my brass inserts.

Name:  IMG_180920_185604_resized.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  179.7 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: