Question on brushess for lathe motor

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of the popular cue lathes but no matter what I do, when I turn it on I have to hit the jaws to get it to spin. I have reversed the brushes, let it run in reverse and it still happens.

Any suggestions?

Why don't they use brushless motors?

Thanks,

Phil

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brushless motors are relatively new in the hobby world and more expensive. You can buy one on eBay though and swap it:)

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
If it is driven by an AC motor, sounds like the start capacitor has failed.

Alan

tsp&b

Silver Member
With a DC motor the symptom you are experiencing is usually caused by the brushes not making good contact with the commutator. Running the motor in reverse can sometimes be a quick fix. However, if the problem continues then carefully remove and examine the brushes. If the brushes or springs are damaged they can be replaced. If the brushes and springs are in good condition then clean the brush holder (shute) with a little compressed air, rotate the brushes 180 degrees and carefully reinstall them. . Also do not over tighten the brush cover. They need just enough pressure to hold the brushes in contact with the commutator of the motor. Excessive pressure will cause the brushes to wear out quickly or bind.

I hope that this information is helpful.