TAP league question

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
For anyone from TAP who can give me a clear answer;

We were told by our local LO about a year ago, when the handicap formula was 'revised', that going forward, everybody's weekly H/C would be the SAME as their tournament H/C.

Everyone seemed happy about this change, due to being able to build a team around players handicaps, and not being surprised when tournament time came around, and not being able to field a team due to players being raised for tournaments.

But now that both our 9ball and 8ball regional are over, that was not the case. Just about every team had at least 1 or 2 (sometimes more) players go up just for the tournament(s). This obviously created a ton of *****ing from all teams involved, because it is not what we were told was going to happen...

Can anyone answer what is what with the handicaps?

Thanks,
Rain-Man

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For anyone from TAP who can give me a clear answer;

We were told by our local LO about a year ago, when the handicap formula was 'revised', that going forward, everybody's weekly H/C would be the SAME as their tournament H/C.

Everyone seemed happy about this change, due to being able to build a team around players handicaps, and not being surprised when tournament time came around, and not being able to field a team due to players being raised for tournaments.

But now that both our 9ball and 8ball regional are over, that was not the case. Just about every team had at least 1 or 2 (sometimes more) players go up just for the tournament(s). This obviously created a ton of *****ing from all teams involved, because it is not what we were told was going to happen...

Can anyone answer what is what with the handicaps?

Thanks,
Rain-Man

:scratchhead:

I would say----only your league operator can answer that question.

:grin:

Last edited:

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Wow, I really thought someone from TAP might have chimed in here..

Sam, from TAP maybe? Any answers?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I really thought someone from TAP might have chimed in here..

Sam, from TAP maybe? Any answers?

:D

Where I play the TAP Module for titleholders and Nationals is still used so your handicap can change, but not during the event.

Last edited:

SPDR9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAP Handicaps

There is now a tournament module and a weekly team module. If you go lights out in tournaments and play like a donkey during regular season they now track that. Normally there is minimal difference unless someone is trying to fly under the radar during the regular season.

Jim

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
I spoke to Chuck Schonter a little earlier, via their chat..

At first, he seemed to be defensive to my questions, but I did my best to be as polite as possible and I think once he realized I wasnt trying to come across as a chronic rabble rouser/complainer, he ended up being fairly helpful, and I at least have somewhat a better understanding.

What we were told was either incorrect, or the entire league heard wrong :rolleyes:.

The formula was changed, but was not changed to have the weekly H/C's and tourny H/C's the same. I then asked why it was changed then, but was not given a straight answer. So I have to then assume it was changed to sort of follow the APA business model, and raise players up to break up teams, and in theory at least, have more teams form and join.. Basically to grow the league.

He explained that the tourney H/C's are in effect because of players that dog the weekly play (he didnt say sandbag, but thats what I assume is meant), then show up to a tourney and play lights out..

But I already knew that, and that didnt need explained to me. I was under the assumption that we were just going to ALL play at whatever our tourney H/C's were going forward (which we liked, because at least we knew exactly what everybody was, and could then build a team around that accordingly...)

Not so though..

I then asked if tournament play (which is weighted twice as heavy as weekly play) went into your tournament H/C, and that was the reason so many players end up going up in H/C going into any tournament,

how is it that we had 2 players on our team who NEVER played in a tournament before, ALSO go up going into the regional tournament?

We wernt the only team who this happened to either, and it simply doesnt make sense..

He couldnt directly answer that question, other than to say that if a lower handicapped player has played good against higher H/C's during the weekly play, it factors into it going into a tournament..

There were quite a number of pissed off teams, who had their 2's go to 3's, 3's go to 4's, and 4's go to 5's..

I simply do not understand why we cant just use whatever our tournament H/C's are, as our handicaps all the time.. Why give players any room whatsoever to sandbag. Just put them where their tourny play dictates they should be..

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
There is now a tournament module and a weekly team module. If you go lights out in tournaments and play like a donkey during regular season they now track that. Normally there is minimal difference unless someone is trying to fly under the radar during the regular season.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, I was aware of that, its actually the way its been for as long as I've been a TAP player..

But what we were told in our local league about a year ago, was that the H/C formula was being revised, and once it was fully implemented, a players weekly and tournament H/C would be the same. No H/C changes come tournament time/play..

We were happy to hear that, under the assumption that the changes would be made going higher, to everybody's tournament H/C..

As a team that DOES NOT sandbag, we were happy to hear this. We HATE to lose, EVER, and play to win every match. So we figured our H/C's were about right, and where they should be. We assumed maybe one player might go up, and were cool with it, which is exactly what happened. We had one player go up to a 4 from a 3..

The rest of our league had at least 2-4 players on EVERY team go up. But they finally went up to where everybody in the league thought for years they should be.

We played this last year that way, and there was honestly the least amount of complaining I've ever heard about H/C's, and/or sandbagging..

Until our regional tournament, and every team had 1 or 2 additional H/C raises. As you can imagine, there were a lot of pissed off people, and teams that had trouble even putting up a team of 5 players..

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope this helps

Sorry, I don't get on AZ on a regular basis.I check in from time to time and thats about it. To help you understand the module, Chuck hit it on the nose. It was set in place to give players a better "higher" event cap since players seem to all of a sudden remember how to play when the money is on the line. I am not saying we have a huge problem with this in TAP (because we really don't compared to other leagues) but with a module in place like this players seem to know that regardless of what they do, the system will catch them eventually. As for the question on how a player goes up and never played in a higher level event. Pool-net and the module will take more matches into account and take the better matches of those....example...regular weekly caps are based on a player's last 21 matches..It will take the hi and the lo match out and average the other 19 for your overall cap. Once the player has his 22nd match n , it will be dropped off and the other 21 will be recalculated. NOW...In the tournament module it will go back double that and take a certain amount of the better matches and give a tourney cap based on higher level scores and most recent first and then filled in with the remaining scores from league play, for example. I cant give you exactly what it does but this is a general idea. So this is why you will see a player for example as a weekly 4 cap go to a 5 in the module because it is taking their better scores and calculating a cap that they can play at based on their capability to their skills on what they have done in Poolnet. I hope this helps and sorry for the late response. Like I said, I am busy with the TAP sales office as well as running my own leagues in Western Pa. plus I am trying to enjoy what's left of the Summer..:)