9' table... Real world room size needed

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6' x 12' snooker table

This is off the subject, as I already have a 9'. But it's about table sizes.

How much space would be needed for 6 x 12 ?
How big are the pockets on a snooker table ?
How many pieces does the slate come in, and the size of the pieces ?
I would use pool balls, so how tough would that make the table, other then needing binoculars to see the other side.lol

I've never hit a ball or have any info on a snooker table, so this isn't a bs question, just wondering as I've checked with Diamond about a 5 x 10 and it only comes in 1 piece slate and I would need to put in a basement. Can't be done.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is off the subject, as I already have a 9'. But it's about table sizes.

How much space would be needed for 6 x 12 ?
How big are the pockets on a snooker table ?
How many pieces does the slate come in, and the size of the pieces ?
I would use pool balls, so how tough would that make the table, other then needing binoculars to see the other side.lol

I've never hit a ball or have any info on a snooker table, so this isn't a bs question, just wondering as I've checked with Diamond about a 5 x 10 and it only comes in 1 piece slate and I would need to put in a basement. Can't be done.
Space, figure about 5 feet all around, but you may want to have other furniture in the room. 16x22, roughly.

The official pocket sizes and shapes are determined by templates controlled by the world organization. Many (most?) older American snooker tables have non-conforming pockets.

The tables I've seen naked all had five slates.

If you are using pool balls the banks will work funny. Some people use pool balls for golf on a snooker table, but you expect "funny" at golf.

SPDR9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am moving into my new house on the 20th and turning my new garage into my pool room. It is 22 x 26 no support poles in the middle. Very few places I looked out had rooms big enough for a 9 foot table. So I am closing off the garage putting down some carpet and will have my setup done in a few weeks.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am moving into my new house on the 20th and turning my new garage into my pool room. It is 22 x 26 no support poles in the middle. Very few places I looked out had rooms big enough for a 9 foot table. So I am closing off the garage putting down some carpet and will have my setup done in a few weeks.

If you haven't considered it yet, you might want to do some searches in here regarding how to deal with the natural slope in more garages.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting a 9' hopefully late next week, and trying to balance it's location against both walls and furniture, so this has been an enlightening (if also a bit entertaining) discussion.

Can I ask a slight twist.

One side of the table is likely to have low furniture -- under where the cue would stroke. Back of a sofa or a could chairs (we're negotiating on arrangement still).

How much clearance from the playing surface do you need for the human to stand? I saw one that seemed to indicate you needed MORE than for the cue. I was thinking the reverse, that when shooting against the rail, the cue strokes back well beyond the foot/leg -- but it's been years since I played (and I am just a home beginner).

Can I sneak the back of a low sofa (say 28" or so high) into the otherwise clear area next to the table, and if so how close can it be to the playing surface and not be too uncomfortable for someone shooting a ball against the rail?

(This is an issue only one side, the ends and other side are just walls, that now I need to go check my measurements from, and maybe move some blue tape laid out on the floor.)

PS. This is in a Great Room where there's lots of sitting area, a bar off to one side, etc. So while the table is going to be minimum distance from two walls in a corner, there will be lots of space for humans to stand on one end, and mixed in around furniture on one side. One of those "wall" ends is really a huge sliding door to outside so on good days (winter in Florida) there can be no wall there at all.

Last edited:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Space, figure about 5 feet all around, but you may want to have other furniture in the room. 16x22, roughly.

The official pocket sizes and shapes are determined by templates controlled by the world organization. Many (most?) older American snooker tables have non-conforming pockets.

The tables I've seen naked all had five slates.

If you are using pool balls the banks will work funny. Some people use pool balls for golf on a snooker table, but you expect "funny" at golf.

Thanks for the answers. Now that you mentioned about the banking. I can see that because of the snooker balls being smaller, a pool ball would be hitting different.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the answers. Now that you mentioned about the banking. I can see that because of the snooker balls being smaller, a pool ball would be hitting different.

If you didn't know, you can buy pool balls in snooker sizes (see for example https://www.seyberts.com/aramith-premier-under-size ) so you can play traditional pool games on a snooker table. I played 8 ball on a 12' snooker table about a dozen years ago. Good thing it wasn't a race to 5 or I'd still be playing!

Also, in case you didn't know, each of the 5 sections of a 12' slate is heavy as f*ck - much heavier than the each of the 3 sections of a 9' table.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you didn't know, you can buy pool balls in snooker sizes (see for example https://www.seyberts.com/aramith-premier-under-size ) so you can play traditional pool games on a snooker table. I played 8 ball on a 12' snooker table about a dozen years ago. Good thing it wasn't a race to 5 or I'd still be playing!

Also, in case you didn't know, each of the 5 sections of a 12' slate is heavy as f*ck - much heavier than the each of the 3 sections of a 9' table.

Thanks, I didn't know about the weight or the balls.
Think I'll just stick with what I've got. lol

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same here. Just finished the carpet, installed the AC, and waiting for the table to arrive next week.