Using regular chaulk like I use kamui

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using kamui chaulk for some time now. I like it and honestly don’t care about the price. A piece of Kamui last’s me more then a year so the $28 a piece is not that big a deal to me. I use it sparingly honestly. I feel most people over chaulk with it. I never leave a mess with it like others complain about. I put it on my break cue once at the beginning of a set and I chaulk my cue once at the beginning of each game. About 2 weeks a go for whatever reason I decided I’m going to use a piece of predator chaulk the same way I do kamui. I haven’t had one mis cue. Not in my hours at practice at home or when I’m at leagues. I actually had one miscue last night but it was my fault. We were on an 8 foot table and I stretched out to far for a shot and my stroke broke down. Now I’m sure if I had to shoot 30 power draw shots in a row I could see a difference but how often do I have to do that? Lol I would say never. So I guess for the foreseeable future I’m leaving the kamui in the bag. I can’t see the point in it anymore if thier is no difference (at least for me personally ) between me using $28 piece of kamui or an $8 for 5 pieces of predator chaulk.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I found a piece of Predator Chalk and it was damn good chalk. Interesting post!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most pool players have no clue how to chalk properly.

I agree .. A lot of people complain about the mess kamui makes but I play every day and on my home at least 5 days a week and I have no more chaulk on my table then with any other chaulk. Iite brushing on the tip is all you need. People think they need to cake it on like girls in the 80s put on make up haha

formidableone14

Changing the stars
Silver Member
I was given a piece of Kamui by a friend of mine and I loved the thought of using it, how much Ive heard about it and what not had me feeling confident as hell with it. What I found was that this piece of chalk was constantly crumbling apart when used. I chalk from the center of the cube to the outside edges in a sliding motion and rotate the chalk as needed. The edges would fall off in small chunks, get all over the table etc.. so for me it was dirty but it got the job done.
At this point I decided I didnt like it, even with being free....it sits in my beautiful BEM cue case and I personally enjoy the likes of Balabushka, Magic and Blue Diamond chalks.

Now their gloves, pfffft....SOLD!!

Play what’s on the table. There is a big study that has been done and posted using about a dozen chalks. In most cases it’s negligible. Only a few stand out as “best” and one of them was magic chalk and I believe masters was the other. Most of the results was based on hitting with a single cycle of chalk till a miscue. So of you chalk before every shot it really doesn’t matter unless you are hitting the extremes of the cue ball.

This has all been talked about and proven.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly the same story, but same conclusion...I do think it is possible to chalk up far more sparingly than most do.

Sometimes when I play with myself I try to not chalk for a game or 2 at a time. I force myself to go for appropriate angles, instead of being lazy and relying on being able to manipulate position/ shoot a tougher shot.

But it isn't like chalking too much is possible, right? Lots of folks seeek to keep consistent PSR and honestly, best practices would probably include chalking before each shot for the majority of us.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree .. A lot of people complain about the mess kamui makes but I play every day and on my home at least 5 days a week and I have no more chaulk on my table then with any other chaulk. Iite brushing on the tip is all you need. People think they need to cake it on like girls in the 80s put on make up haha

80!? I know I say all girls ar beautiful in their own way, but that is too old for me.

Not exactly the same story, but same conclusion...I do think it is possible to chalk up far more sparingly than most do.

Sometimes when I play with myself I try to not chalk for a game or 2 at a time. I force myself to go for appropriate angles, instead of being lazy and relying on being able to manipulate position/ shoot a tougher shot.

But it isn't like chalking too much is possible, right? Lots of folks seeek to keep consistent PSR and honestly, best practices would probably include chalking before each shot for the majority of us.

Chalking before each shot should be “best practice”
Everyone and I mean everyone goes a stroke or so without chalking.

I have done it and I never miscue on those events. Because you know you are playing a center rock hit.

But try this....take whatever means you seem fitting and remove the chalk from the tip. Try and shoot a ball. Then and only then will you see how important chalk plays into the hit.

Also, black balls...I wouldn’t openly admit you play with yourself. Especially these days. Better to say you practice solo. Be core t for the time. Otherwise you might find yourself at the other end of an attorneys desk. Just saying. Be woke.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to be clear I wasn’t indorsing predator chaulk. It’s just what happened to be sitting there. I might try the same thing with masters chaulk at some point.

Play what’s on the table. There is a big study that has been done and posted using about a dozen chalks. In most cases it’s negligible. Only a few stand out as “best” and one of them was magic chalk and I believe masters was the other. Most of the results was based on hitting with a single cycle of chalk till a miscue. So of you chalk before every shot it really doesn’t matter unless you are hitting the extremes of the cue ball.

This has all been talked about and proven.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After using kamui I like not chaulking after every shot. One less thing to take your focus off the game I guess. After 30 years of play I’m well aware that chaulk is important. All I’m saying is maybe we don’t need to be chalking as mush as we think we do . At least not with the new chaulk. I also use a soft tip which might make a difference.

Chalking before each shot should be “best practice”
Everyone and I mean everyone goes a stroke or so without chalking.

I have done it and I never miscue on those events. Because you know you are playing a center rock hit.

But try this....take whatever means you seem fitting and remove the chalk from the tip. Try and shoot a ball. Then and only then will you see how important chalk plays into the hit.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using kamui chaulk for some time now. I like it and honestly don’t care about the price. A piece of Kamui last’s me more then a year so the $28 a piece is not that big a deal to me.

I was given a cube of Kamui and played with it for about 6 weeks before I noticed that my game was continuously off; not by much, but by about 1 ball per set.

Switched back to Master and the problem went away.

By the way, for the difference in price ($28.00 - $0.25) you can buy a nice bottle of Segrams.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Master seems fine for players waaaaaay better than me.
Earl and Shane come to mind among many many others.

So your comparing your game to two of the best players off all time? Sorry I do what works for me not what works for guys who could by thier cue and chalk at walmart and still destroy all of us lol

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've noticed that since I started using any brand of "better than Masters" chalk, I don't have to chalk as often. I've used Magic, OB, Predator and i'm on a "cube" (if that's what you call it, lol) of Great White now, and I can go a while without chalking. I still do, every few shots, and especially if its a shot where I'm going to have to apply more english than a regular shot.

I fully expect that when I get my tip changed soon, that this will continue, even more. I think that because the tip I'm using now is old, it doesn't hold chalk as well as it should.

I apply chalk often enough that there is plenty there, with today's better chalks. I haven't tried kamuii, that seems like it would be a big change, at least for me.