Bruce "Superstroke" Christopher

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found an old copy of BCA Break Magazine last night (April/May 1998 Issue).

On page 18 is an advertisement for Bruce "Superstoke" Christopher offering to play anyone for a ridiculous amount of cash. (see pic)
I think I recall seeing the same ad in Billiards Digest years ago as well.

Does anybody have any stories about this guy?

Attachments

• superstroke.jpg
    superstroke.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,187

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

On page 18 is an advertisement for Bruce "Superstoke" Christopher offering to play anyone for a ridiculous amount of cash. (see pic)

I first saw him in 1976 or 1977 at the 14.1 tournaments in Asbury Park. He didn't play but he did pretty good self promotion. I think Fats bar-b-qued him on TV. He published two books, "The Godplayer" and "My Winning Secrets". If you would like to see more of Bruce, I think he appeared in "Playgirl" magazine:eek:.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
What cracks me up the most is the copyright AND registered trademark he puts on "superstroke"...I'm with you...there has GOT to be some crazy stories about this guy. I read both publications all the time and don't remember ever seeing an ad like this, pure genius! :p

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Bruce Christopher is from up my way....son of a minister from Brockville Ontario.

Anytime he showed up at a pool hall, many of us tried to gamble with him....
...I’ve never seen him hit a ball.

He did a very poor imitation of Fatty

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Bruce Christopher is from up my way....son of a minister from Brockville Ontario.

the real "SUPERSTROKE" Christopher (JAMES) gives this clown the 5 back in the day

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Coat Tail Rider

I kinda remember him coming on scene. I ''feel'' now....you can probably find and article on him in an old billiard publication. People back then worked ''allot'' of different angles/scams to get the dough. There were allot of lazy people back in the 60's, when it was easy to find work, housing was cheap, gas was cheap, food was cheap, food stamps were prevalent and many were dodging the draft. It's almost like he was trying to imitate Richie Florence, who was probably his age.

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
After reading the comments, am I the only one thats tried to call the number on the flyer...I even faxed a pic of 1.5M he can put up on the light.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Huckster. Fast Larry’s inspiration.

Last edited:

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 15 years ago he showed up at the local pool hall (Mr. Zed's) in Belleville, Ontario, Canada and was around the area for awhile. I believe his mother lived in the area. Same as others have said, he was never seen hitting a ball but did a lot of talking!

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He got me for $3.95 in the late 70’s and he didn’t even have to pick up his cue.
His book was a waste of paper.

1EAF371F-8A43-4DF0-8CF3-96354B72F0F0.jpeg

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
superstroke

He is from Belleville Ont. Last I heard he was still around that area . Same thing here,,,,,,,,,,,saw him talk a lot, but he never made a game . I offered to play him for $100 a couple times.........says he doesn't take his cue out for less than 25,000...........lmao .

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
He is from Belleville Ont. Last I heard he was still around that area . Same thing here,,,,,,,,,,,saw him talk a lot, but he never made a game . I offered to play him for $100 a couple times.........says he doesn't take his cue out for less than 25,000...........lmao .

Yeah, I guess I mixed up Belleville for Brockville,,,,which is the city Peter Kippe came from...
...an early genius who probably ran more centuries at snooker than Bruce ran racks on a
barbox....his buddy Jeff White was also many levels above Bruce.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A world class scam artist who made his living "laying the note." This is a popular scam that hucksters use in convenience stores while making a small purchase with a twenty dollar bill. They confuse the cashier (usually someone young and not so bright) until they end up with an extra nineteen dollars plus change after it's all over. Christopher was supposed to one of the world's best at this particular scam.

The million dollar challenge was also a well orchestrated scam. He had hopes of finding someone who would post some type of guarantee, maybe $10,000 with him, that they would play him the match. He passed himself off as very wealthy. He almost got a couple of guys to bite. If they had, the post money and Christopher would have disappeared into the wind. He tried for a couple of years and never caught the fish he was looking for.

He did con his way onto TV to play a match with Fats. He may have made one or two balls and Fats had to carry him so it didn't look too bad. He was maybe a C player at best. About the speed of a mediocre league player. He could make a straight in on a bar table if it wasn't too long. :)

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Yeah, I guess I mixed up Belleville for Brockville,,,,which is the city Peter Kippe came from...
...an early genius who probably ran more centuries at snooker than Bruce ran racks on a
barbox....his buddy Jeff White was also many levels above Bruce.

Jeff White and Peter Kippie were the first two pros I ever met in person in Brockville. Jeff was nice enough to play me a few games of 9 ball when I just started learning how to play. I got a couple game off him but I suspect he let me get those ones. Before that Jeff was demonstrating on the snooker table and made an effortless century. I later saw Peter make a century playing someone. I suppose you could say they were somewhat responsible for my obsession with this game.

On the threads topic I laughed at the offer to player for 1.5 million. It’s easy to say no one is brave enough to play you when you high roll everyone for an absurd amount of money.

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the replies. Always wondered if the guy was for real and I got my answer :)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

Whenever you hear something like that, you need to go find 25k to play this person... because if his cue doesn't come out for anything less then he obviously doesnt play much.:D