Cue extensions for schon's?

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
Who knows a matching Cue Extension for my Schon? Which you can screw fast at the rubber, nevertheless holds tight enough!

Not the Cue Extensions you have to pull over the butt plate, or those you have to screw between the shaft and the butt!

Something like the *FURY-Extension, which is screwed in to a special rubber? (*Picture on the left)

Btw, does somebody know, if that special Fury-Rubber fits into a Schon? Or is it possible to adapt it, without modifying something else, as the Weight-Bolt of my Cue?

Or does somebody use on his Schon, a Cue Extension from *Balance Rite? (* Picture on the right)

Thx for your feedback, Roberto

Attachments

• fury-cue-extension-rosewood-s.jpg
    fury-cue-extension-rosewood-s.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 4,116
  • balance-right-cue-extension-s.jpg
    balance-right-cue-extension-s.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 4,016
Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
There is no ready made product for a Schon cue.

If you want, send us your butt + shaft and we will add the finish
to the shaft and make a screw-in extension 15 or 20cm long for it.
Please note you cannot change the weight of the cue after we do
this so make sure you like the weight.

Total cost would be € 150 including shipping it back to Switzerland.

gr. Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a look at the Longoni 3lobite extension system, it's the best one out there, unfortuently it's kinda expensive.
About $150 for the extension, $40 for the screw/bumper and about $70 for the install job.

Rutilus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's easy to make a Schon extension.
Hold the butt section upside down and look at the rubber plug. You will see the head of a socket head cap screw, mine takes a size 5/32. hexagon or Allen key wrench. Unscrew that screw and then twist out the rubber plug.

Now you will see the weight bolt, the center of which is threaded to accept the socket head cap screw you just removed. My thread is a #10 - 32NF .

Now to make your "mini butt" or "extension".
Get yourself a piece of round wood that matches the diameter of the Schon butt, about 1.25" would be fine (you could use a piece from an old cue), say 6" long (you choose the length). Into this you need to add the connecting screw.

Get a 3" long piece of #10 - 32NC rod (cut from a screw if need be) . Then drill a 3/16 hole in the center of your mini butt and epoxy in your 3/16 x 32NC rod. You will need to adjust the length of screw protruding to be sure it engages with the weight bolt threaded hole.

Re-install the rubber butt plug but do not install the socket head cap screw. You are now ready to attach your mini butt. Mine works great.

You also have a few options. You could leave out the rubber butt plug and replace with a piece of wood. This gives a more solid attachment oe leave out the rubber butt plug and use a smaller diameter mini butt. Good luck.

al-capool

Silver Member
Thx Rutilus, really a great idea!

It's easy to make a Schon extension.
Hold the butt section upside down and look at the rubber plug. You will see the head of a socket head cap screw, mine takes a size 5/32. hexagon or Allen key wrench. Unscrew that screw and then twist out the rubber plug.

Now you will see the weight bolt, the center of which is threaded to accept the socket head cap screw you just removed. My thread is a #10 - 32NF .

Now to make your "mini butt" or "extension".
Get yourself a piece of round wood that matches the diameter of the Schon butt, about 1.25" would be fine (you could use a piece from an old cue), say 6" long (you choose the length). Into this you need to add the connecting screw.

Get a 3" long piece of #10 - 32NC rod (cut from a screw if need be) . Then drill a 3/16 hole in the center of your mini butt and epoxy in your 3/16 x 32NC rod. You will need to adjust the length of screw protruding to be sure it engages with the weight bolt threaded hole.

Re-install the rubber butt plug but do not install the socket head cap screw. You are now ready to attach your mini butt. Mine works great.

You also have a few options. You could leave out the rubber butt plug and replace with a piece of wood. This gives a more solid attachment oe leave out the rubber butt plug and use a smaller diameter mini butt. Good luck.

Hi Rutilus,
Thank you for these very helpfull advices. Btw here in Switzerland we have the metric system...LOL
But that's really not the problem. If I would like to make an extension made of coccobolo or another rosewood which matches to my cue, how would you resolve the weight problem?
I think the extension would become too heavy and the cue too much rear balanced!
Or what do you think?
KR Roberto (Al Capool)

Rutilus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Al, You could minimize the weight by partially boring out the new extension with a 25mm hole and then closing it a plug of wood or even a rubber bumper. However the average height pool player would probably only use an extension once in two or three hundred shots, so I don't think the extra weight is a big problem. Also you could use a lightweight wood like Cedar and stain it to look like Rosewood or Cocobola. But Cocobola 150mm long counter bored with a 25mm hole would not weigh much.

Threads, if you have the equipment you could drill out the weight bolt threading and convert to a 6mm metric thread. In this case you would need to enlarge the hole in the rubber butt plug.

The basic extension idea is simple and you have lots of possibilities.

al-capool

Silver Member
Thx again Rutilus, now you conviced me!

Thx Rutilus,
Now you definetely convinced me! When I've got some time left at work, I'll try to fabricate such an extension for my Schon. As soon I finished it, I'll post you some pics.
Very kind regards from Switzerland, Roberto

MalibuMike

Banned
Tiger Products fabricated an awesome extention for my schon!

They just took off my bumper installed their modified extention and bumper so now I can just thread my tiger extention right on to the back of my Red STL-15 Schon, works awesome!

You can not even see the threads sticking out 1/4 inch from the butt and then the tiger bumper starts on the red Schon, the black extention is above and threads right on to my Schon!

Rutilus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. Is it possible to post a close-up of your STL 15 with Tiger adapter installed and maybe one with the extension installed.

Question: is the Tiger adapter permanently installed in the Schon butt?

Thank you.

MalibuMike

Banned
I will get you a close up pic.

Very interesting. Is it possible to post a close-up of your STL 15 with Tiger adapter installed and maybe one with the extension installed.

Question: is the Tiger adapter permanently installed in the Schon butt?

Thank you.

I will get you a close up pic. But if you look on the but of the first "Red" Schon you will see a light phenolic piece sticking out with a bout 4 to 6 threads on it, then the Tiger bumper is intalled with rubber bumper on the bottom, it is hardley noticable. You would most likely have to send your cue to Tiger products to have this installed. Pics ASAP.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Rutilus,
Thank you for these very helpfull advices. Btw here in Switzerland we have the metric system...LOL
But that's really not the problem. If I would like to make an extension made of coccobolo or another rosewood which matches to my cue, how would you resolve the weight problem?
I think the extension would become too heavy and the cue too much rear balanced!
Or what do you think?
KR Roberto (Al Capool)

There`s no weight problem. You use the extension for those hard to reach shots, when the shot is done, you unscrew the extension.
If you want to play with the extension on your cue all the time, I recomend an extension between the shaft and butt.

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure. If we need light extension made of coco or ebony, we could drill the hole to lighten it. That's my 2 cents.

MalibuMike

Banned
Tiger Products Schon Extention, the best by far!

I will get you a close up pic. But if you look on the but of the first "Red" Schon you will see a light phenolic piece sticking out with a bout 4 to 6 threads on it, then the Tiger bumper is intalled with rubber bumper on the bottom, it is hardley noticable. You would most likely have to send your cue to Tiger products to have this installed. Pics ASAP.

Tiger Products "Schon" Extention, the best by far!
This Tony the owner of Tiger Products putting an extention on my schon cue, it is awesome, everyone loves it! it's solid and it fits in my case. It added less then a 1/4 OZ (if that) to my cue! Awesome work!

Attachments

• user71166_pic15218_1429008566.jpg
    user71166_pic15218_1429008566.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,948
  • 20150822_204924.jpg
    20150822_204924.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4,419
  • 20150822_205014.jpg
    20150822_205014.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4,936
  • 20150822_204950.jpg
    20150822_204950.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,973
Last edited:

culookn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what did he have to modify on the Schon to get the tiger butt cap to screw in correctly?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought myself a Schön cue, and as I already had a Mezz Exceed extension to go with my Mezz, I came up with and adapter that replaces the original weight bolt and makes a Schon accept a Mezz X bumper.

I will offer you a clear mechanical drawing that shows all the dimensions required to make one just like mine, but before that I need to bring up the following; I am not in anyway responsible for the accuracy of following dimension, or for any damage you may cause to your equipment.. This following drawing, and all the dimensions on it is made specifically to fit my personal cue, a Schon BW3. Check yours before doing anything, I am not sure if all Schons are identical at the butt end.

And after all that, on to business:

The drawing for the adapter piece:
3YXvpTP.png

E: Thanks to Chuck Fields for correcting the thread that screws on butt :smile: The correct thread is supposedly 3/8 x 16tpi. My adapter piece is made with metric M10 thread, and the butt is threaded for that too. With the 3/8 inch thread there is no need for any modifications to the butt.

The idea is to make an adapter piece that screws on a schon butt, and has a thread to screw a X bumper on it at the other end. A few pictures to make things clearer;

3BW2tqt.jpg

After machining the adapter piece you can screw it in and tighten. The adapter piece should extend out of the butt for some 0.1-0.4mm to make sure that the extension screws on it tightly.

I made the 3mm holes on it to be able to remove the adapter piece afterwards and to tighten it before attaching the bumper piece on it. I used a special tool that we manufacture at work to tighten it, below are a few pictures. We make them in several sizes, the one pictured is the smallest one available. It is usually used to assemble and disassemble hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders, but I have found the smallest one quite helpful with pool accesories too ;)
lND7h71.jpg

YiLyLhr.jpg

Then we move on to the bumper; The thread is very close to a M14x2mm standard. It is a bit too shallow to go in a standard m14 thread without modifying it gently beforehand. Just take a M14 threading die and screw the bumper in it. It will take a very slight cut from the bottom of the thread, but it will now fit the adapter properly.
Then you can simply screw the bumper on the adapter and you are pretty much done and should look like this:
d8Noitn.jpg

Then you can enjoy your Mezz extension on a Schon cue.
M1XVV5b.jpg

Feel free to ask me if I left something out, I will gladly help you out if I can. Please give me your opinions about it, would like to have one or is it just a junk piece of metal :thumbup:

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Feel free to ask me if I left something out, I will gladly help you out if I can. Please give me your opinions about it, would like to have one or is it just a junk piece of metal :thumbup:

Great job and idea. An improvement would be to match the oem assembly bolt thread pitch on the shaft of the adapter. That way no cues will need to be altered. ;)

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ye, I thought of that too after trying with my own cue ;)
I checked the thread with a metric nut, it went on smooth so I just kind of assumed that it has a standard m10 thread without really measuring much :( Afterwards I measured the weight bolt thread , it is a 9,35mm in diameter and has a 1,5mm pitch, probably with a metric 60' thread profile. It could easily be done by anyone with a lathe if they have the cue to match it with :)

It works well this way though and will always be in there in my case so no harm was done. Still, there is always something to improve on, especially with prototypes like this one :wink:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ye, I thought of that too after trying with my own cue ;)
I checked the thread with a metric nut, it went on smooth so I just kind of assumed that it has a standard m10 thread without really measuring much :( Afterwards I measured the weight bolt thread , it is a 9,35mm in diameter and has a 1,5mm pitch, probably with a metric 60' thread profile. It could easily be done by anyone with a lathe if they have the cue to match it with :)

It works well this way though and will always be in there in my case so no harm was done. Still, there is always something to improve on, especially with prototypes like this one :wink:

3/8 16 tpi is the thread if Im not mistaken. Not sure if your gearbox has SAE thread pitches or not.