Powder idiots

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK...I know it's my fault for not paying a bit more attention:groucho:, but I was distracted a bit and they only played about a half hour. I was getting ready to clean the tables anyway:smile: I deal with it every day, but this was probably best powder job I've seen:shakehead:

POWDER ART

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
OK...I know it's my fault for not paying a bit more attention:groucho:, but I was distracted a bit and they only played about a half hour. I was getting ready to clean the tables anyway:smile: I deal with it every day, but this was probably best powder job I've seen:shakehead:

POWDER ART

Bad, but I've seen worse. Just wait until those idiots start using Kamui chalk and leave long stripes of chalk after every power shot (of course they chalk excessively before every shot). I wish some people would swallow their pride or prejudices or whatever is holding them back from using a glove!

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
That's nothing....much worse here with our high humidity. Our solution? We took all the bottles of powder and cone chalk out of the pool hall. Much less mess and tables do not have to be brushed as often.

Now we sell smooth stroke or cue candy powder bags in the pro shop, and give the buyers a quick lesson in how to use them. Some moaning and groaning, but it was worth it........

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

POWDER ART

"Hi! Did you enjoy playing here? You did? Great. Grab this (hand them the brush). We'd like to have you back. So please take care of your mess. Thanks!"

KMRUNOUT

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
We took all the bottles of powder and cone chalk out of the pool hall. Much less mess and tables do not have to be brushed as often.

I tried to talk our local bar owner into removing the talc cones but he's done it before and couldn't stand the moaning and groaning.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!! hahahhahahahahah
do not allow powder, EVER!!!!!!! sell some cheap gloves.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!! hahahhahahahahah
do not allow powder, EVER!!!!!!! sell some cheap gloves.

LOL... just A little dab of powder is never noticed, there's no problem with it its the people that use more than Lebron James before tip-off that make a mess.

Not everyone likes wearing a glove, me included

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I come from (Chicago) we used to call powder (ab)users "snowbirds."

One thing "they" all had in common was the inability to shoot pool. They would talk, tell jokes, consume beverages, eat food like there was no tomorrow and generally make noise. Maybe one person in the rotation would take a shot every minute, or three.

"They" would also spend an inordinate amount of time selecting a house cue, rolling it on a table, holding it up and inspecting it from every angle. If there were one hundred house cues, they would make sure to at least touch every single one of them.

During their cue inspection, they would studiously avoid looking at the tip, like it didn't even exist.

Every house cue they inspected and rejected would end up on an unused table or angled against the wall. Like, someone else will put the cue back where it belongs.

They were slobs in everything "they" did. This includes chalking up by drilling the tip of the cue into the chalk cube with force, like they were trying to start a fire with friction. Then, they'd slam the chalk cube down on the side rail hard enough to leave what looked like an impact crater of chalk residue.

But, the one thing I never understood about snowbirds was the fact that they all shot with an open bridge. Why use powder if you're shooting with an open bridge?

I guess their behavior supports the old saying. "When you're stupid, anything is possible."

I worked in a pool hall (The Campus Room) as a "night manager" for two years while going to school. I hated every snowbird and the mess they made that I would ultimately have to clean up.

Shoot safe.

John

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Just seeing those pictures made me go clean my table.

I think this kinda thing falls under lack of etiquette.

Aloha

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
probably 9 out of 10 Filipino pool players use talc powder. check out money game videos here in the Philippines, you'll see powder right beside the side pockets. all famous Filipino players would probably have this inside their pool case:
img.jpg

LOL, they even write scores on the cloth using blackboard chalk. :D

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The folks who do stuff like that dont know any better, so maybe educating them is the best way to fix the problem.

Or I could be wrong, and venting on a pool forum and doing nothing to fix the lack of etiquette might be the best way......... :thumbup:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's nothing wrong with using powder but like the OP said "IDIOTS" using powder is another issue. By the way what room is that?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
powder

probably 9 out of 10 Filipino pool players use talc powder. check out money game videos here in the Philippines, you'll see powder right beside the side pockets. all famous Filipino players would probably have this inside their pool case:
View attachment 390403

LOL, they even write scores on the cloth using blackboard chalk. :D

They often play in very humid conditions in the Philippines, and generally have not considered options to baby powder. Now it's become a cultural thing.

Asking people to not use baby powder because it doesn't look good all over the table will not convince most abusers.

They need to know that excess powder (like any other foreign material) affects how balls react to collisions with other balls, the rails, and simply how the CB rolls, skids and spins.

Not to mention that, after second hand smoke, powders with talc are perhaps the worst thing one can breath in a pool hall or bar.

Diogenes

Silver Member
Old school back in the days of the chalk cones... it was one of the things that you looked for in an easy money mark... someone who bathed themselves (and tables) in powder.
I still carry a small talc bottle even though I never use it anymore unless it's really humid (just don't like shooting with a glove). But my Q-Wiz does what I need it to and the once every 2 or 3 years that I actually do use powder... it's light... only used on my primary bridge hand (on 2 fingers only)... and I dust my hand off completely before taking my first shot after using it.

I would give someone who talc'd up a table a warning (1 time) about using powder and the next time I'd ban them from playing.
But if I saw someone being careful I would just look the other way.

BTW... never leave a talc bottle sitting out. People will want to borrow it and you don't want to be the contributor to the fingerpainting on a Simonis cloth.

Last edited:

jcrack_corn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You perfectly described a room owners dream customers. A room full of serious players is an owners worst nightmare.

Where I come from (Chicago) we used to call powder (ab)users "snowbirds."

One thing "they" all had in common was the inability to shoot pool. They would talk, tell jokes, consume beverages, eat food like there was no tomorrow and generally make noise. Maybe one person in the rotation would take a shot every minute, or three.

"They" would also spend an inordinate amount of time selecting a house cue, rolling it on a table, holding it up and inspecting it from every angle. If there were one hundred house cues, they would make sure to at least touch every single one of them.

During their cue inspection, they would studiously avoid looking at the tip, like it didn't even exist.

Every house cue they inspected and rejected would end up on an unused table or angled against the wall. Like, someone else will put the cue back where it belongs.

They were slobs in everything "they" did. This includes chalking up by drilling the tip of the cue into the chalk cube with force, like they were trying to start a fire with friction. Then, they'd slam the chalk cube down on the side rail hard enough to leave what looked like an impact crater of chalk residue.

But, the one thing I never understood about snowbirds was the fact that they all shot with an open bridge. Why use powder if you're shooting with an open bridge?

I guess their behavior supports the old saying. "When you're stupid, anything is possible."

I worked in a pool hall (The Campus Room) as a "night manager" for two years while going to school. I hated every snowbird and the mess they made that I would ultimately have to clean up.

Shoot safe.

John

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

POWDER ART

Ernie, you should make a collage of those pictures, put it in a frame & hang it in the Pool Room. You call it "Picasso Powder"

Semper Fi

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoever did that is not a pool player, they saw someone use powder and are just trying to mimic them without knowing what, why, or how to use the thing properly.

I put them in the same class of player as those guys that chalk like they are trying to start a fire with the tip and chalk friction (SQKEAKK, just like a chalkboard) and those that take charge during their games to explain loudly that you can't touch any other ball on the table during a shot or it's a foul.