Watching mr. 400 trying to break the record

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t help but think watching him try to break this record on that equipment doesn’t make sense. We all know Mosconi did it on an 8 foot home table with big pockets and slow cloth. He’s trying to break it on a 9 foot with tighter pockets and slippery fast cloth. To me it’s the equivalent of a guy trying to break the 100m dash record but running 200m instead in his bare feet. I honestly think if he makes the attempt again he should do it on the same equivalent table to be fare .

I’m sure this will fire up the old guys on the site...god forbid you say something that goes against Willie.. I really mean no disrespect with this observation. God knows I couldn’t run 526 on a bar box let alone an 8 foot table. Lol

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi didn't run his 526 on a home table. It was an 8' Brunswick Sport King which was one of the commercial models made by Brunswick at the time.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what Mosconi's second highest run attempt was? I'm curious to compare with Schmidt.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt STATED in his interview about this next attempt to break the record that the Gold Crown he was using had "Generous Pockets" He has attempted to align everything about this mission to be favorable to his attempts- so I do not see any reason to believe that he is "short changing " himself in the attempt- actually quite the contrary- he is giving himself EVERY possible advantage- generous pockets, cloth with sufficient speed, super polished balls to break open easier, favorable air conditioning to keep the table dry, great lighting, etc., etc. If he is successful, all should give him his due and if he is not, none should "feel sorry" for him as you seem to suggest in your post! MOSCONI did not SIT at ONE table for months on end to make a 526 run, he traveled every night around the U.S. on his own by car, slept in the car prior to each exhibition for an hour or so just to stay fresh, played on whatever table was assigned that given evening with 1950s air conditioning or heating and lighting conditions ( we know how poor those conditions were too!) played on a napped cloth, with balls that were NOT cleaned between racks, in front of a LIVE audience packed houses with smoke film EVERYWHERE, etc,etc. AND you want SYMPATHY for John Schmidt??? Give me a FN Break Pal!!

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John said on his Facebook page that he would go to an 8 footer next if unsuccessful on the 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t help but think watching him try to break this record on that equipment doesn’t make sense. We all know Mosconi did it on an 8 foot home table with big pockets and slow cloth. He’s trying to break it on a 9 foot with tighter pockets and slippery fast cloth. To me it’s the equivalent of a guy trying to break the 100m dash record but running 200m instead in his bare feet. I honestly think if he makes the attempt again he should do it on the same equivalent table to be fare .

I’m sure this will fire up the old guys on the site...god forbid you say something that goes against Willie.. I really mean no disrespect with this observation. God knows I couldn’t run 526 on a bar box let alone an 8 foot table. Lol

He is trying everything he can.

And maybe the only reason he's playing on what he's playing on right now is because that's the easiest table that pool room has available.

Lou Figueroa
hate to fire up
the youngsters

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just can't look at Willie's record with the same sense of awe as most people, and I agree with your basic theme. Accordingly there should be a new bar set...the current holder of 14.1 High Run Champion, and let people shoot at it/him.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
John Schmidt STATED in his interview about this next attempt to break the record that the Gold Crown he was using had "Generous Pockets" He has attempted to align everything about this mission to be favorable to his attempts- so I do not see any reason to believe that he is "short changing " himself in the attempt- actually quite the contrary- he is giving himself EVERY possible advantage- generous pockets, cloth with sufficient speed, super polished balls to break open easier, favorable air conditioning to keep the table dry, great lighting, etc., etc. If he is successful, all should give him his due and if he is not, none should "feel sorry" for him as you seem to suggest in your post! MOSCONI did not SIT at ONE table for months on end to make a 526 run, he traveled every night around the U.S. on his own by car, slept in the car prior to each exhibition for an hour or so just to stay fresh, played on whatever table was assigned that given evening with 1950s air conditioning or heating and lighting conditions ( we know how poor those conditions were too!) played on a napped cloth, with balls that were NOT cleaned between racks, in front of a LIVE audience packed houses with smoke film EVERYWHERE, etc,etc. AND you want SYMPATHY for John Schmidt??? Give me a FN Break Pal!!

Mike,

Out of curiosity, are you related to Willie? Not that it matters, just wondering.

Eric

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NO, not related at all, I was a young kid in the late 50s and early 60s growing up just outside NYC- tough Italian neighborhood where there was great pride in the legends of Dimaggio, Marciano, and Mosconi - tremendous pride that these 3 were the very best at their sport! I played ball, boxed, and played a lot of pool- all three from a very early age. There was great pride in our neighborhood, and I want to keep Mosconi's name from being disgraced on this site, as I see from time to time that people just either forget, or really never knew what these great sports figure had to go through to be the champions they were, does ANYBODY on this site who really knows this game think that Mosconi could NOT have run way, way more than 526 if that was his goal- of course he could, the guy was just trying to make a living for his family- records like this had no meaning other than helping to support his family- if instead of Brunswick paying him for traveling exhibitions, they had offered him $10,000 to run a 1000 balls, he would have done that too! NO doubt in my mind.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Pool has ever so slightly moved on. He's wearing 21st century shorts with a modern cue, modern balls and live streaming. It only makes sense to use a modern table.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just can't look at Willie's record with the same sense of awe as most people, and I agree with your basic theme. Accordingly there should be a new bar set...the current holder of 14.1 High Run Champion, and let people shoot at it/him.

This ^^^^

The record needs to move on as conditions are incomparable.

Snooker does not consider Joe Davis the holder of any records, as the game moved on to what is referred to as "the modern era".

if 14.1 wants to gain further recognition and create a buzz for itself, straight pool fans and anyone involved with the game should do the same and let someone set a new record for the modern era that the top guys will start to chase. The end result will no doubt be a high-break that beats mosconi's 526, but i'm not sure it can be considered a record of the modern era.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MAre you thick? The only one 'disgracing' anyone is you, with John being the victim.

It is shooting balls into holes.
Willie has documented 526 and John wants more. Full stop.

Not sure why you keep getting all insulted about Willie's run being surpassed (and by many accounts, more than 526 has been run on tougher equipment).

526 is awesome. 400 is awesome.
More than either would be awesome.

Is that too complex for you to grasp?
NO, not related at all, I was a young kid in the late 50s and early 60s growing up just outside NYC- tough Italian neighborhood where there was great pride in the legends of Dimaggio, Marciano, and Mosconi - tremendous pride that these 3 were the very best at their sport! I played ball, boxed, and played a lot of pool- all three from a very early age. There was great pride in our neighborhood, and I want to keep Mosconi's name from being disgraced on this site, as I see from time to time that people just either forget, or really never knew what these great sports figure had to go through to be the champions they were, does ANYBODY on this site who really knows this game think that Mosconi could NOT have run way, way more than 526 if that was his goal- of course he could, the guy was just trying to make a living for his family- records like this had no meaning other than helping to support his family- if instead of Brunswick paying him for traveling exhibitions, they had offered him $10,000 to run a 1000 balls, he would have done that too! NO doubt in my mind.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ^^^^

Snooker does not consider Joe Davis the holder of any records, as the game moved on to what is referred to as "the modern era".

if 14.1 wants to gain further recognition and create a buzz for itself, straight pool fans and anyone involved with the game should do the same and let someone set a new record for the modern era that the top guys will start to chase. The end result will no doubt be a high-break that beats mosconi's 526, but i'm not sure it can be considered a record of the modern era.
And just to point out...I'm a big fan of Willie and have been ever since I started following pool. I was thrilled to attend one of his exhibitions in the late 60's at the Sunnyvale Bowl in Calif.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ^^^^

Sure let's erase ALL of history before 1970 and just MOVE ON with the world- Let's void the U.S. constitution while we are at it too! Isn't that what the liberals in our universities are teaching today? Some of you guys really make me laugh - thank God I can find humor in these statements!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching Mr. 400 everyday. Yesterday I posted this interview with Charlie Ursitti in the chat room while watching because from day one I've heard some stupid shit concerning how easy it was for Willie Mosconi.
John plays great straight pool, after about 14 days, (84 hours), his high run is 384, (his nick name is Mr. 400). Like I said, John plays great,,,,, but he ain't Willie !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGm4TtJQKXE

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching Mr. 400 everyday. Yesterday I posted this interview with Charlie Ursitti in the chat room while watching because from day one I've heard some stupid shit concerning how easy it was for Willie Mosconi.
John plays great straight pool, after about 14 days, (84 hours), his high run is 384, (his nick name is Mr. 400). Like I said, John plays great,,,,, but he ain't Willie !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGm4TtJQKXE
And I think we will all agree that even if John surpasses Willie's 526, he will still be John and Willie will still be Willie, silly.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt stated in his interview about this next attempt to break the record that the gold crown he was using had "generous pockets" he has attempted to align everything about this mission to be favorable to his attempts- so i do not see any reason to believe that he is "short changing " himself in the attempt- actually quite the contrary- he is giving himself every possible advantage- generous pockets, cloth with sufficient speed, super polished balls to break open easier, favorable air conditioning to keep the table dry, great lighting, etc., etc. If he is successful, all should give him his due and if he is not, none should "feel sorry" for him as you seem to suggest in your post! Mosconi did not sit at one table for months on end to make a 526 run, he traveled every night around the u.s. On his own by car, slept in the car prior to each exhibition for an hour or so just to stay fresh, played on whatever table was assigned that given evening with 1950s air conditioning or heating and lighting conditions ( we know how poor those conditions were too!) played on a napped cloth, with balls that were not cleaned between racks, in front of a live audience packed houses with smoke film everywhere, etc,etc. And you want sympathy for john schmidt??? Give me a fn break pal!!
^^^ ditto ^^^

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I think we will all agree that even if John surpasses Willie's 526, he will still be John and Willie will still be Willie, silly.
I concur, but, I'd like to at least see John be Mr. 400 before the 18th, that ain't too much to ask, is it?

Last edited: