2008 DCC Room - ??? Name change ??? Volunteers ???

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
This year there were several problems with the "AZB/onepocket.org Members Room" that involved misperceptions of just what the room was supposed to be. At least several people thought it was a room to promote the websites, when in actuality it is just a members club.

Perhaps we should change the name. One possibility discussed was "The Tom Ferry Room of Excellence." If Greg Sullivan would still let us have the room without the AZB/onepocket.org designation, perhaps that would be a better name.

Please post your comments and suggestions; the room organizers (whoever the hell they are for next year) will consider them.

We also need volunteers for things like name tags, store visits for refreshments (you need to have a car), room goon (certain stature requirements must be met), and "friends of pro's" (recruit your friends to make room appearances).

T

Timberly

In a conversation with Greg the other day, a room name change came up... he said that he would be fine with the name change.

I personally like "The Tom Ferry Room of Excellence". The room was his idea as was calling it the room of excellence. I think it would be a nice way to honor his memory and this great idea that allows all of us to come together, hang out, & shoot pool. JMO

It would of course, still need to be a members only type of deal.

Also, another thing to throw out for an idea is.... what do you think about opening it up to members of other forums? Most people post on all of them but there's a few that pretty much stick to one... Any thoughts on including CCB & IP? Greg is very enthusiastic about including those of us out here on the internet... I can't say for sure w/o speaking to him, but I don't think he would mind if we opened it up to a couple of more forums.

Just an idea...

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as we don't end up with FL and the Dog. LOL!!!!!!! Just remember the number of people could grow dramatically. Maybe start by adding one more forum and see what happens. I guess it may depend on how many different people post on the other forums too. Just adding my 2cents

T

Timberly

satman said:
As long as we don't end up with FL and the Dog. LOL!!!!!!! Just remember the number of people could grow dramatically. Maybe start by adding one more forum and see what happens. I guess it may depend on how many different people post on the other forums too. Just adding my 2cents
FL is banned from the two sites that I mentioned. ;)

I think it would increase the number of players, but not by very much. Most read all of them and only a small handful read only one. There's two people off the top of my head that I can think of that only go to CCB and they don't go to the DCC anyway. I don't think it would be as many more as you're thinking.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to Timberly, Don and alll who worked on the AZ Room. It was certainly a pleasure to meet the people behind the names on the AZ board. I was expecially pleased at how friendly everyone was. I really expected to attend a liars club meeting---but some truths were actually told.

I think the name "AZB/onepocket.org Members Room" is great as is. As a suggestion to memorializeTom Ferry: An ongoing tournament with a players list posted on the AZ board. Any AZ/onepocket player may play another with the winner moving up on the list. Members will be able to play each other in their area and then arrange challenges at the DCC. That final list could be posted after the DCC and would be the starting list for the coming year. This list could be called "The Tom Ferry's Players Of Excellence."

Members of other groups may easily join AZ Billiards or onepocket.org, so I don't think it is necessary to add other groups to our room privileges. I think it would be easier to control and organize in its present form. As an example: Many tried to sign up for the DCC room playing privileges after the deadline. As simple a procedure as this was---it did seem to cause some confusion.

These are not necessarily suggestions but just ideas to continue the thought process.

T

Timberly

Tennesseejoe said:
I think the name "AZB/onepocket.org Members Room" is great as is.

Members of other groups may easily join AZ Billiards or onepocket.org, so I don't think it is necessary to add other groups to our room privileges. I think it would be easier to control and organize in its present form.
Leaving the name as is, also creates problems. Simply put, people do not pay attention. Look at all the people that had no clue about the deadline for room money. :rolleyes:

Had people actually paid attention, they would've known to contact WBM, Steve Lomako, or myself in any matters concerning the room. People have called Mike Howerton about it in the past and people called Mike Howerton about it during the week last week. Naming it after a particular website makes things more difficult.

We don't have to open it up to other website but I thought it would be a nice gesture since the room name will be losing the website identification.

:)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Timberly said:
Leaving the name as is, also creates problems. Simply put, people do not pay attention. Look at all the people that had no clue about the deadline for room money. :rolleyes:

Had people actually paid attention, they would've known to contact WBM, Steve Lomako, or myself in any matters concerning the room. People have called Mike Howerton about it in the past and people called Mike Howerton about it during the week last week. Naming it after a particular website makes things more difficult.

We don't have to open it up to other website but I thought it would be a nice gesture since the room name will be losing the website identification.

:)

T,
All good points. I like the idea of opening it up to CCB'ers - I would DEFINITELY like to steal some of their posters over to this forum (Popcorn, Dick Leonard, Fran Crimi, Dr. Dave, SPetty, deeman, etc.). If we post the info over there, then make them respond over here; I'm in favor of it.

I spent the better part of 2 evenings hassling with the "AZB" identification issue - so obviously I am in favor of a new room name. Now if we can just convince sizl to make us a couple of new kicka$$ banners we are in business.

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I am not in favor of renaming the room, mostly because many of the pros know what it is by its name already. Plus, we get some new pro posters right after the DCC each year. Why confuse the issue by naming it something that people won't recognize.

If confusion happened this year, let's just write a lessons learned section and do a better or different job of communicating to the members about what is expected for next time.

As far as adding other forums, I think Tennesseejoe has this correct. I don't mine inviting others to our 2 forums. I belong to many forums and it is not that big of a deal to just sign up. You would think that if they really want to belong or participate that is what they would do.

I am all in favor of making some changes to make things better, but the name of the room and whom it is for, always seemed to be the reason Tom thought of this in the first place.

JMO for what it is worth.

T

Timberly

Williebetmore said:
T,
All good points. I like the idea of opening it up to CCB'ers - I would DEFINITELY like to steal some of their posters over to this forum
I wasn't suggesting we "steal" them. The pool world and the internet are big enough to handle more than one site. ;) I was thinking more along the lines of an internet forums members only group... Just opening the doors a little more. Of course we don't have to do that, it was just a suggestion.

Either way, for those of you not involved in organizing the room... you can't appreciate the need for the room name change like we can. All of the info is still going to be plastered all over this site. Anyone that takes the time to read anything :)rolleyes: ) will know this. ;)

T

Timberly

Donovan said:
I am all in favor of making some changes to make things better, but the name of the room and whom it is for, always seemed to be the reason Tom thought of this in the first place.
What better way to memorialize him than naming the room after him? :cool:

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am all for the name change.

The name AZ room makes it sound like the room is to promote the Web Site and people do come in thinking that is the case. I had to explain this several times.

The room should grow to include other forums. I believe Greg like the room because it brings together fans and pros. Adding other forums to the room and growing it keeps to this ideal.

A few people have worried about over crowding. I don't think this will be a big problem. We have a lot of people sign up now, but it was never really all that crowded. If fact, both last year and this year I have been surprised at how uncrowded the room is most of the time. And honestly, the best part of the room is meeting new people.

Telling posters on other forums to simply join AZ is not as easy as it sounds. Several posters are booted each year and can't join. This has also caused several posters to leave this site for another.

As for the new name, absolutely it should be named for Tom Ferry. After all, it was Tom Ferry that started this, not the AZ web site.

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, and the volunteer part. As Timberly and Willie already know, I do help with thing on site. For next year, if there is anything I can do to help organize before the event let me know.

Donovan

Silver Member
Timberly said:
What better way to memorialize him than naming the room after him? :cool:

I do get that, but it makes no sesne to anyone that doesn't know who he is. I really feel having a small tourney among members or some kind of challenge game for a top score for the week and put in his name on that or something like that is a better way to remember him. Keep the name meaning what it is, just seems to makes more sense to me. If you ask a pro what is AZBilliards.com or onepocket.org they can tell you. But if you had asked them 3 years ago before the room at DCC, only some of them would have any idea what you were talking about. That room has really made people aware of the sites.

Tom was always nice to me in private and public posts. I wouldn't say this if I didn't think it makes a difference. Our members increase somewhat during and after DCC and that has to say something. I don't have stats for this, but we do seem to get lots of new posters during and right after the tourney and I for one think the room is a part of the reason. We had pros come post after last year’s event. You guys remember how many pros popped their heads in just to find out about the website. That should speak wonders. Maybe I am just an idiot who doesn't get it.

Donovan

Silver Member
Oh well, I just need to say, no matter what we decide, I will be supportive and do what I can to help. I will be glad to help with the website again and be glad to donate money again. :cool:

T

Timberly

Donovan said:
That room has really made people aware of the sites.

Maybe I am just an idiot who doesn't get it.
Donovan, you're not an idiot and no one has even hinted at that. You're just looking at the room in a different perspective than what it really is. I'm still at work but I will search for the posts that Tom made in reference to the room last yr when I get home... the room is about US and FOR us. It's not about promoting the site and getting new members. If that happens, great... but that's not the reason for the room. ;)

Donovan

Silver Member
Timberly said:
Donovan, you're not an idiot and no one has even hinted at that. You're just looking at the room in a different perspective than what it really is. I'm still at work but I will search for the posts that Tom made in reference to the room last yr when I get home... the room is about US and FOR us. It's not about promoting the site and getting new members. If that happens, great... but that's not the reason for the room. ;)

AH! I see. I told you I must not be getting it. LMAO!

sde

Silver Member
"The Tom Ferry/AZB/onepocket.org Members Room of Excellence"
This is a bit lengthy but it would maintain the identity of previous years years and begin a new tradition for one year, 2008. And beginning in 2009 the "AZB/onepocket.org" could be dropped from the name, adding a bit of continuity to the transition of changing names.
Just an idea.

Steve

tiptoety

Just call me Ty
Silver Member
Um, to thwart any confusion on what the room is, why not change it to memorize the guy who thought it up, and put "sponsored by AZB members" or something along those lines, in small print. I'm sure if there are tables set up next year in a room like this year, and the regulars are there again, no one will be confused on what it is. You'll still get the new posters afterwards. Even if a curious person who tries to enter the room has to be told that you guys are AZB posters. I'm sure AZB was mentioned NUMEROUS times in the room. I believe it's public knowledge by now.

Just my couple of pennies

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Donovan said:
I do get that, but it makes no sesne to anyone that doesn't know who he is.
Donovan...I respect your point. However, it made me think that while at the DCC I was sitting next to Monica Webb & Gerda (however you spell her last name) and Angry White came into the main action room with a sign that said "Louie Roberts couldn't win the Angry White Award". A friend of mine said that was disrespectful to Louie Roberts. Guess what Monica & Gerda said??? "Who is Louie Roberts?" They have never even heard of the man. This coming from two women pro players who live their life around pool. Who have been to the DCC every year I can remember & they never thought to ask anyone who Louie Roberts was??? Amazing.....but you can see naming the room after Tom Ferry won't hurt the recognition of having a room for members to go to. Just like it doesn't hurt the recognition that Cliff Joyner won the Louie Roberts award last year. I bet Monica/Gerda knew who won, just didn't understand the significance or the fact that Louie could give each of them the wild rack.