I misscue with one shaft and never misscue in another; what gives? Reason

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll try to make this post simple and short, I enjoy pool playing with two shafts both are mess production

1) hp II shaft 12.5 mm
2) hybrid alpha 12.75 mm

Ok so I’ve played both for years, played first with alpha for almost three years then played with the hybrid pro for one year and now I’m back to alpha.

Basically in a nut shell, I hardly never miscue with the hp II, ever. Like I can’t remember the time where I miscue during the whole year using it, doesn’t matter long distance draws, cue ball on a cushion and using follows, or finesse draw shots with spins etc, I really don’t misscue with the shaft.

Now with the alpha hybrid, I love this shaft don’t get me wrong but I literally miscue at Least two times every set of nine ball, the long distance cueball to object ball draws, if I want to draw it to the other end of the rail, that’s a miscue that is a 50%, in the long run it kills my confidence using this shaft, but I still love the shaft for other shots. Keep in mind if I use the hp II for the same shots it’s a zero chance of miscue.

Basically the question is obvious, what gives? Why is this happening, I’m the same player, using the same table, doing the exact same type of stroke, I want a solution because I really want to play with he alpha.

P.s before anyone ask about the tip, I’ve changed tips for both shafts numerous times and the outcome was the same, hp II full confident no miscue on all shots, alpha two to three miscues a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 shafts for my Downey cue.
One is original to the cue.
The other is an unknown maker shaft.
Both have triangle tips.
The original shaft does not feel as good as the other and I miscue more with it.
The unknown shaft just feels better and I miscue less.
I have no answer to this.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use the cue that yields the best long term average winning streaks, no matter what it feels like.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I’ll try to make this post simple and short, I enjoy pool playing with two shafts both are mess production

1) hp II shaft 12.5 mm
2) hybrid alpha 12.75 mm

Ok so I’ve played both for years, played first with alpha for almost three years then played with the hybrid pro for one year and now I’m back to alpha.

Basically in a nut shell, I hardly never miscue with the hp II, ever. Like I can’t remember the time where I miscue during the whole year using it, doesn’t matter long distance draws, cue ball on a cushion and using follows, or finesse draw shots with spins etc, I really don’t misscue with the shaft.

Now with the alpha hybrid, I love this shaft don’t get me wrong but I literally miscue at Least two times every set of nine ball, the long distance cueball to object ball draws, if I want to draw it to the other end of the rail, that’s a miscue that is a 50%, in the long run it kills my confidence using this shaft, but I still love the shaft for other shots. Keep in mind if I use the hp II for the same shots it’s a zero chance of miscue.

Basically the question is obvious, what gives? Why is this happening, I’m the same player, using the same table, doing the exact same type of stroke, I want a solution because I really want to play with he alpha.

P.s before anyone ask about the tip, I’ve changed tips for both shafts numerous times and the outcome was the same, hp II full confident no miscue on all shots, alpha two to three miscues a set.

Play with both shafts and film yourself till it records it with the one that is the issue. Also have you tried tapering the tip for the 12.75 to 12.5 at the end?

I think your just having sighting issues relative to size of the shaft possibly....that’s isn’t an uncommon problem with players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1) hp II shaft 12.5 mm
2) hybrid alpha 12.75 mm

The way you describe it, sounds like at this point it's in your head to the extent that it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy for you.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I don't know what a hybrid alpha shaft is so I can't comment

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1) hp II shaft 12.5 mm
2) hybrid alpha 12.75 mm

Use the Alpha in your garden. You'll never get over the guilt and shame if you scammed somebody into buying it!

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t say it’s the tip because I own multiple alphas and multiple hp II, and I’ve change tips so many times on both type of shafts, still the same story

Using any tip with hp II, no miscue at all for years.
Using any tip with alpha, at least two miscues a set.

I couldn’t figure out why, the only difference is the thickness of the shaft and taper I would think, but thickness of shaft also affect its tip shape I would think because I’m using the same tip tool, last4ever nickel version on both shafts. Still interested to know the reason, if it’s thickness or I need to use different tip tool for the thicker shaft,
It’s so strange to me.

I really want to play with the alpha which is why I’m asking to solve this issue because I feel that I make long shots with the alpha more often, which yields into better innings thus winning more games.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I wouldn’t say it’s the tip because I own multiple alphas and multiple hp II, and I’ve change tips so many times on both type of shafts, still the same story

Using any tip with hp II, no miscue at all for years.
Using any tip with alpha, at least two miscues a set.

I couldn’t figure out why, the only difference is the thickness of the shaft and taper I would think, but thickness of shaft also affect its tip shape I would think because I’m using the same tip tool, last4ever nickel version on both shafts. Still interested to know the reason, if it’s thickness or I need to use different tip tool for the thicker shaft,
It’s so strange to me.

I really want to play with the alpha which is why I’m asking to solve this issue because I feel that I make long shots with the alpha more often, which yields into better innings thus winning more games.

Get the camera.....we’re all guessing period without at least that. Dead end road without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DingDongDuong

Registered
Could be cause your probably used to the stiffness of the hp2 , alpha is softer

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned both types of shafts and have a pretty decent idea on how they play. If you are confident that it is only the shaft itself that is causing problems and not a mental thing I would guess it has to do with the different taper. Alpha has a pretty stiff, high rise taper stock and that *may* cause you to lift the tip up vertically during your draw stroke and that could cause the miscue. HP2 taper is a bit more traditional pro taper with a moderate taper rise and that difference might be just what makes you draw better with the HP2 without miscueing :eek:

Take back the taper of the Alpha if you dare to, it may cause some playability difference to it but could also fix your miscue issue. It is a rather straight forward thing to do if you have a lathe or you could have a cuemaker do it for you. I have taken the taper back on my alpha quite a lot and the modification made it play even better :smile:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I think it's just a coincidence, or subconsciously your stroke changes with the second
shaft which is dimensionally different
Try some Kamui chalk and see if that helps

:smile:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of these suggestions, and no one suggested the easiest one. :confused:

Let some other players hit some balls with the shaft in question. You will quickly find out if its the tip, or if its you.

Its either the tip not getting the friction it needs to spin the ball (ie slick, glazed, unchalked etc), or you hitting outside of the tips miscue limit, again, causing the tip to not get the friction it needs to spin the ball.

If its not the tip, and its not you, the only thing it could be at that point is the rubber bumper. :thumbup:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kimmo has allready pointed out the real differences. But if your constantly misscuing and the shaft is in good condition, that leaves me to conclude that, as with 99% of all other misscue shots, it's user error...
The two shafts are very different both in taper and deflection, my guess is that you simply dont allow enough time to adjust from HPII to Hybrid Alpha.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1) hp II shaft 12.5 mm
2) hybrid alpha 12.75 mm

The extra .25mm makes a difference. Try using the edge of the tip as a reference point on the cue ball instead of the center. It sounds like you are used to where the tip will be at contact with the thinner shaft so you are trying to get down to that point with the thicker shaft. Going a tiny bit past that point will result in contact past the miscue limit.

This usually happens when going from thicker to thinner.

Good luck