Alex givin up 15-4, $3000/game..............

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe this will make it more understandable

In a 9-7 game which equals 16, you still don't need to spot a ball as the most balls that could be used by the players without winning is one guy has 8 and the other guys has 6 for 14 and so only one more ball is required for either of them to get and win! 15 balls.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of whether its 15, 16, or 17-4, that is just plain ignorance / stupidity / greed on the part of him and/or his stake horse to think he can spot a player as good as this guy such a spot, and still win. I hope he loses 6 figures!

Hope all you want but they walked away winner ,,

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
so they quit at 8am with AP 2 games down-They went to hotel, slept, came back and started playing and it is all over already w alex breaking even so soon?

Don't know, that's just what Frost said on the stream.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope all you want but they walked away winner ,,

If you want to call breaking even a winner, go ahead. He got extremely lucky to escape from a game he couldn't possiby win, and he knows it. A more experienced player/gambler or one that had a handler with any sense, would not have let him off the hook when then had the nuts on him as this guy did.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
39 actually. He'd spot 39 and then go to 11. Now THAT my friends is a SPOT. Wow. What happens when the line of spotted balls goes all the way to the rail? Start at the other end somewhere?

Come on man surely you have played where you have to spot up 15 balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Come on man surely you have played where you have to spot up 15 balls.
I've seen Varner run 15-and-out at one pocket shootout. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran 25 at the huge spot games with all the balls coming back onto the line. Get the right angle on a bottom ball and you should be able to push a lot of balls to your side.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
If you want to call breaking even a winner, go ahead. He got extremely lucky to escape from a game he couldn't possiby win, and he knows it. A more experienced player/gambler or one that had a handler with any sense, would not have let him off the hook when then had the nuts on him as this guy did.

You sure seem to think in absolutes. AP is possibly the best, or 2nd best 1 pocket player on the planet. He wasn't playing up to Alex speed, and the other guy was embolded by the spot, and thinking he had the nuts. To have had the dead nuts he didn't walk away with much, and to not be playing your top speed and still not lose while giving up the dead nuts, well I think the only nut is you.
Let Alex be on fire, and the other guy a little off, and Alex is gonna roast him. You seem to think AP and his backers are some fly by night, go off the rails, newbies that just hit the scene. He's been at it for yrs, in some of the biggest matches ever, I'm pretty sure he knows what's up.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
That kind of spot is not about playing your best. It's about playing smart. Push balls to your side and put him under the gun.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If 15 k is even then sign me up

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people just don't get it, do they?
:shrug:
You sure seem to think in absolutes. AP is possibly the best, or 2nd best 1 pocket player on the planet. He wasn't playing up to Alex speed, and the other guy was embolded by the spot, and thinking he had the nuts. To have had the dead nuts he didn't walk away with much, and to not be playing your top speed and still not lose while giving up the dead nuts, well I think the only nut is you.
Let Alex be on fire, and the other guy a little off, and Alex is gonna roast him. You seem to think AP and his backers are some fly by night, go off the rails, newbies that just hit the scene. He's been at it for yrs, in some of the biggest matches ever, I'm pretty sure he knows what's up.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys that think Tommy is new to this whole gambling thing don't know much about him. Some of you read way too much into a single matchup. Tommy is a serious gambler.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys that think Tommy is new to this whole gambling thing don't know much about him. Some of you read way too much into a single matchup. Tommy is a serious gambler.

There is an execution element that- imo- makes this more about the game than the gamble. Not that playing the #is of no regard, but the gamble is based on the play, ya know?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe this will make it more understandable

In a 9-7 game which equals 16, you still don't need to spot a ball as the most balls that could be used by the players without winning is one guy has 8 and the other guys has 6 for 14 and so only one more ball is required for either of them to get and win! 15 balls.
Yes. Anytime the total ball count is SIXTEEN or less, there are NO spotted balls. If the ball count IS over SIXTEEN, the number of balls spotted is equal to the amount over sixteen. Biggest spot i've ever personally observed was 22-2. 22+2=24. Thus, eight balls spot and the favorite then went to 14.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes. Anytime the total ball count is SIXTEEN or less, there are NO spotted balls. If the ball count IS over SIXTEEN, the number of balls spotted is equal to the amount over sixteen. Biggest spot i've ever personally observed was 22-2. 22+2=24. Thus, eight balls spot and the favorite then went to 14.

The guy going to 22 has got to be a sap.....is he just giving his money away? :eek:

So, uh, how much did he win?....:)

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this goes a couple more pages,what is the over/under on ball count/spot explanations;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The "sap" was Ronnie Allen and he ROBBED the guy.

If I had to bet blind on a handicapped match, I would bet on the guy giving the handicap.

I watched Ronnie give Harry the Horse a hole at golf on a 5x10 snooker table...
...Ronnie was playing one-handed.....and won.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
If I had to bet blind on a handicapped match, I would bet on the guy giving the handicap.

I watched Ronnie give Harry the Horse a hole at golf on a 5x10 snooker table...
...Ronnie was playing one-handed.....and won.

Stan ( Goose ) McDowell, ( Mizerak Sr.'s partner for 30 years or more ), told me once "Never bet on another guy's shot." What he meant was, if some guy tells you "I can make *this* shot..." ( which of course seems *impossible* ) "Gimme 50 shots at it and you can bet it up." then, in all probability, the guy CAN make that "impossible" shot, or he wouldn't be asking you to bet on it. So, by extension, if a good player offers you a game that seems he *can't win* at? As the old saying goes ( and, according to Stan, literally ), "Don't bet on it."