drawing the cue ball left or right

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in hitting the object ball which is one foot from the cue ball, with low right draw, the cue ball comes back maybe a few inches to the right, and just sits and spins? when I see the pros do this shot, the cue ball goes perfectly to the right or the left as it draws back.

how is this shot done? im looking to move the cue ball back and left with low left and a draw stroke. but I never get much movement to the left on the cue ball??

I seem to be able to do it on the line up drill, but the cue ball is very close to the object ball. im looking for shots 12 to 18 inches away from the object ball. thanks for any advice.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
in hitting the object ball which is one foot from the cue ball, with low right draw, the cue ball comes back maybe a few inches to the right, and just sits and spins? when I see the pros do this shot, the cue ball goes perfectly to the right or the left as it draws back.

how is this shot done? im looking to move the cue ball back and left with low left and a draw stroke. but I never get much movement to the left on the cue ball??

I seem to be able to do it on the line up drill, but the cue ball is very close to the object ball. im looking for shots 12 to 18 inches away from the object ball. thanks for any advice.

Slightly elevated cue if you're talking about a massé draw shot. A straight in draw shot shot with side spin will draw straight back unless you strike the cb with a downward/elevated stroke.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like your getting more side spin then draw. You need to hit the cue ball lower and make sure you follow through. If your aiming low enough where you want to hit it and not succeeding, most likely your dropping your elbow before contact. When you drop your elbow before contact it raises the tip up and hits the cue ball closer to center, which will cause the cue ball only to move a couple inches. That's the main reason for recording yourself, so you can review on what's going on.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just cheat the pocket and use middle ball draw.
Straight in shot shoot the object ball to the left side of the pocket and the cue ball will draw back slightly to the right.
Just reverse it to draw back left.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Side spin does not by itself make the cue ball move to the left or right off the object ball.

Do you understand what "cheating the pocket" is?